Flightradar 24 and Marine spotting odds and sods.

Yokel

LE
I have never used Flightrader 24. How does it work? Could it be used to see when Russian Tu-95 'Bear' aircraft have been flying long range missions into the Atlantic region over the last few years?

Just asking for a friend who has definitely never run down the street naked after solving a density problem...

Ritch

LE
I have never used Flightrader 24. How does it work? Could it be used to see when Russian Tu-95 'Bear' aircraft have been flying long range missions into the Atlantic region over the last few years?

Just asking for a friend who has definitely never run down the street naked after solving a density problem...

The Russian's never use their transponders when conducting these missions. The clue you occasionally get is a RAF Voyager heading north from Brize and squawking a certain code. Lately, more and more military traffic has been seen on FlightRadar, especially the Typhoons and US tankers/C130's doing training on the east coast.

If you want a better chance to spot military aircraft, you'll need to use other ADS-B stuff. I use SkyScanWorld but you need to pay a subscription to that.

tgo

War Hero

FR24 is pretty shit at showing anything much else than some commercial, try this place,

Once loaded up hit the big U and it'll filter out all but mil stuff, obviously it's not a miracle solution and some flights have secret transponders that these sites can't access but it gets as much as you can realistically expect.

Fat Albert up out of Leuchars

1614414208522.png

FHA

LE
Now there’s a P8 doing the rounds:

12BAEE40-3F4C-44F4-9EC8-DC2AA847C8E5.jpeg

Looking out the window:
7E3C4EA9-8761-46DD-A66B-47861D6FCC5F.jpeg

Hardly a great picture but I just wanted to show a rare sight (not the P8 but the blue sky.)

Last edited:
Woohoo! First ones since 18th March last year.

A8D932C7-DBBF-4FF9-B863-BE4728A0322E.jpeg

A short hop to Stuttgart?
Yep.

Going out empty.

Pickup 35 odd tonnes of car parts, BMW / Mercedes engines apparently.

Back to the U.K.

Another crew then takes them on to Detroit / Greer Spartanburg / Atlanta / Guadalajara. They then fly back empty to the U.K. the next day.

Previously it’d go Germany direct to wherever but then Lufthansa objected as previously discussed. It did them a load of no good as the customer was so pleased with our job that they are picking up at least some of the tab for the U.K. stop and Air Goering still aren’t getting the business.

schadenfreude is very apt on a number of levels.

The first day is just a warmer into the bank with a Trainer, the second is a Competency Check.

To add:

After that, I’ll need to do a North Atlantic Competency Check as I’ve not flown NA / eaten a steak the size of a toilet seat for over a year.

Ritch

LE
Yep.

Going out empty.

Pickup 35 odd tonnes of car parts, BMW / Mercedes engines apparently.

Back to the U.K.

Another crew then takes them on to Detroit / Greer Spartanburg / Atlanta / Guadalajara. They then fly back empty to the U.K. the next day.

Previously it’d go Germany direct to wherever but then Lufthansa objected as previously discussed. It did them a load of no good as the customer was so pleased with our job that they are picking up at least some of the tab for the U.K. stop and Air Goering still aren’t getting the business.

schadenfreude is very apt on a number of levels.

The first day is just a warmer into the bank with a Trainer, the second is a Competency Check.

I hope you enjoy getting back in the air mate.

To add:

After that, I’ll need to do a North Atlantic Competency Check as I’ve not flown NA / eaten a steak the size of a toilet seat for over a year.
Ex "Purple Star" 1995. Our Paras and RM - together - both exercising in North Carolina, at the same time.

One night, I found myself eating with a group of "Civ Sec" folk, in a nice civvi restaurant.

Surprise ONE: someone had ordered the "Fried Onion" starter. It had been chopped every-which-way from the top-down, and when cooked, it opened-up like a HUGE chrysanthemum . . . . It must have been 8" in diameter!!

Surprise TWO: the waiter brought out an good sized joint of beef, which I thought would do the 5-6 of us, sat around the table. Turns out . . . it was MY "steak" . . . all for myself !!

[drift]

Note: I learnt a lot from/about "Civ Sec" that summer. A couple of months later when I found myself at BLMF, "Civ Sec" refused to reimburse the GOC for the new batteries for his red-dot (conference) pointer. Fair enough. Not Army issue. Bought it himself. He has to buy the replacement batteries. Rules is rules (and, he receives a generous salary !!).

When I had to visit Beograd with a couple of interpreters, I asked "Civ Sec" for a hotel they would recommend. They said our safety was paramount, and they recommended the Hyat. Do you think I was going to complain/mention the apparent extravagance ?! ;) .

[/drift]

Last edited:
Ex "Purple Star" 1995. Our Paras and RM - together - both exercising in North Carolina, at the same time.

One night, I found myself eating with a group of "Civ Sec" folk, in a nice civvi restaurant.

Surprise ONE: someone had ordered the "Fried Onion" starter. It had been chopped every-which-way from the top-down, and when cooked, it opened-up like a HUGE chrysanthemum . . . . It must have been 8" in diameter.

Surprise TWO: the waiter brought out an OK size beef joint, which I thought would do the 5-6 of us, sat around the table. Turns out . . . it was MY "steak" . . . all for myself !!

[drift]

Note: I learnt a lot from/about "Civ Sec" that summer. A couple of months later when I found myself at BLMF, "Civ Sec" refused to reimburse the GOC for the new batteries for his red-dot (conference) pointer. Fair enough. Not Army issue. Bought it himself. He has to buy the replacement batteries. Rules is rules (and, he receives a generous salary !!).

When I had to visit Beograd with a couple of interpreters, I asked "Civ Sec" for a hotel they would recommend. They said our safety was paramount, and they recommended the Hyat. Do you think I was going to complain/mention the apparent extravagance ?! ;) .

[/drift]

Surprise one- Outback Steakhouse blooming onion?

AA3C32A6-5C97-47CC-8542-CB1DF032A9CC.png

Surprise one- Outback Steakhouse blooming onion?

View attachment 553739
Although the Blooming Onion fits @RCT(V) description and points to Outback, nothing else does IMHO. He mentions a “nice” civi restaurant that serves bin lid sized steaks.

Ive never been to the Carolinas so I’m heartened to hear there’s an alternative to grits. All I need now is to be rostered a trip there. Can‘t complain, it’s a start. If you’ll excuse me, I now need to go and find all my kit and do some cramming revision!

8869B7B6-640C-4F14-B033-D370BF3B3831.png

latest inbound from Seattle, 2nd this week.

Although the Blooming Onion fits @RCT(V) description and points to Outback, nothing else does IMHO. He mentions a “nice” civi restaurant that serves bin lid sized steaks.

Ive never been to the Carolinas so I’m heartened to hear there’s an alternative to grits. All I need now is to be rostered a trip there. Can‘t complain, it’s a start. If you’ll excuse me, I now need to go and find all my kit and do some cramming revision!

Starvation. :)