Flight simulators

Anyone done one of those ?

I've got a very important present for my wife's birthday....... or else.

I'm thinking outside the box here, but I'm sure she'll love it.

Thanks for that.... she's always enjoyed the flying shows

The latest deal in Newcastle says a passenger jet, but I think in other offers, you get to fly a Spitfire.

I'll check them out

I started up and took off a 737, did a barrelroll in it!! and landed it it Rome, and was assured it was a gen safe landing - no exceedencies triggered / anti-crash mode on. I have a DVD of it. Very experienced pilot was sat to my left.

Trust me...you'll want a go too - book both of you in.

2019-03-21 20.24.08.jpg

Here's my experience at virtual jet centre:

Turned up - placed in a "waiting room" with several PCs running MS flightsim with Yokes/rudder pedals...full on accesories..throttles...the lot. Was told to Aquaint myself. As a "nearly achieved" but failed 'Skygod' I of course dossed about... and landed each and every one of the buggers.

Bloke came in - ex- captain of several airlines and also private jets...lots of experience. He's the bloke with the grey hair and landing patch on heed in the phot I posted.
He asked me whether I had any flying experience and - I suitably bored him with dits about a PPL and Ab-initio ATPL training etc at CTC. I realised after about 30 seconds to put the brake on my dits and just follow his guidance.

He asked me if I was familiar with the controls (which I was, and demonstrated), then explained we'd be taking of from (Verona) I think and landing at Rome. I asked if I could start it from Cold & dark, and let me try and he only intervene if I seriously feck up- he said I could start it from 'almost' cold & dark' and it was unusual for pilots to do that.
Anyway...I started it Ok with a few mistakes wrt air packs / APU bleed etc.
He did all the throttles / auto throttle etc and first part of flight I was purely looking at the displays - I don't recall looking out of the "window". My head was firmly down and watching the numbers.

I got straight & level and altered to the course he told me. Then performed a barrel roll. All the audible warnings going off - it was brilliant. I then landed. I was assured there was no "no crash mode" set and that my landing was actually viable. I know I was waaay too high on approach though so 'dived it' a bit to get back on glideslope.

I really enjoyed it. I think you should book yourselves a joint session.

@Toastie can probably give you some better and- more realistic info regarding sims & training though. (He was issued the name 'Nigel' after completing the BA ATPL course) ;)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone done one of those ?

I've got a very important present for my wife's birthday....... or else.

I'm thinking outside the box here, but I'm sure she'll love it.
I'm sure for a few beer tokens, a couple of us can come along and sneak in behind.

As she's coming in on approach with the alarms going off and the tarmac coming up fast, we can all start screaming behind her for the authenticity.

Or mix it up - mid flight have someone scream Allahu Ahkbar and get her to wrestle the detonator out their hands. :D

British Airways offer flight sim packages for a B747-400, an A380 and I think a couple of others. They're not cheap, a two hour session will cost £849 (you can book a three hour slot) but it's a proper professional set up that the BA pilots use, full-motion etc.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
My boss did a Spitfire sim at Goodwood I think it was and he was raving about it.

Not cheap, I think it’s about £250 for an hour but he thought it was well worth it.

They are a scream at home, being a Lincolnshire lad, i always take off from Kirmington (HUY)
I always just take off, fly up to the Humber, low barrel roll over the bridge, hang a left up the Ancholme, strafe my house then go in to land!

Pitts Special
Various Spitfires
Tornado
SR71
XH588 Vulcan
Various Lightnings
Concorde

Never sussed how to switch reheat on on the fast jets but not fussed, just a giggle anyway.

However it is meant to be realistic so...............much like the drone pilots, a game could be just enough!

Not for dastardly deeds, but for the entertainment factor that the CAA, HSE (Insert boring bastards here...)
Train up, find a plane, find a mate to get you in and go for gold!

Nothing wrong with a bit of derring-do!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure for a few beer tokens, a couple of us can come along and sneak in behind.

As she's coming in on approach with the alarms going off and the tarmac coming up fast, we can all start screaming behind her for the authenticity.

Or mix it up - mid flight have someone scream Allahu Ahkbar and get her to wrestle the detonator out their hands. :D
I can just envisage the weegie polis approach to this: "Runway!!!....Show yourself the noo or I'll feckin come about ye aand crack some heeds!!"

I’ve done a few. Save your money, get a pair of split crotch panties and a bottle of Lambrini, she’ll hate you less.

That’s my experience of sims though.

More seriously, spend a bit extra and go for a full motion sim. IIIRC places like Coventry are running knacked old sims bolted to the floor with first generation visual displays all out of the back of a trading estate. Your “airline pilot instructor” can be pretty hit and miss too.

Off the top of my head the following are decent set ups with decent kit and bods. I’ve no idea how many offer “sightseeing trips” but Google is your friend:

Boeing Flight Training
CAE
Iago*
All at Gatwick

British Airways at Heathrow

I think CAE also have a sim at Woodford near Manchester.

Another option is rent the sim and instructor separately. Plenty of guys who work at places like Boeing are freelance. If you’d asked about 3 months ago I’d have done it but my ticket has lapsed.

* Iago. I know the guys that run this so drop me a PM if you find they do what you’re after. Research it is the key, plenty of little bit players out there who aren’t worth the wedge imho.

Final option, pay £100,000 for her to get the licence and then she’ll get all the sim she can hope for. And a lot she could well do without...

Well, did it.....she had no idea what she was getting for her birthday, so her WTF expression when we pulled into a shed on an industrial unit was a picture.

She was convinced she'd hate it, but within a few minutes, she was hooked, and said afterwards that with the graphics, all working instruments and sounds, she was convinced she was flying a real plane.

Got her an hour, landings and takeoffs. touring the Bay of Naples, a quick jaunt to land in Lanzarote.

It really was a brilliant present.

£39 – Flight simulator experience near Newcastle, was £60