Flight Sim Pilots?

That's was certainly true. Having some issues with DCS. Dug out a HOTAS throttle and stick set I'd received as a gift some time back and plugged them in. Thought that would be me fixed on the controls side of things...oops! Anyhow, fired up the viper and discovered this sim thing needs some adjustment.

I have to admit the cockpit representation is good but some lights are about 1 pixel in size. Lowered the seat and some are now 2 pixels in size. Okay I can live with it just. Clearly need to do something about the screen. Some of the checks, post startup, are a bit tricky. I have to look to the side with the mouse to manipulate a switch but can't look at the eyebrow panel at the same time to see the results. One or two of the switches seem to miss the momentary function for self testing and I haven't worked out how to turn a knob with the turny icon. A few of the MFD screens seem to have been lost in delivery.

The main hat on the stick is associated with moving round the cockpit which begs the question as to where the trim function is. Probably need to learn some code or other for that. Some of the dials are also hidden behind the stick. Normally you'd just lean a bit and it would be ok. EPU fuel gauge is well hidden. Still have to find out if I can shout at the ground crew for pulling final pins and closing up.

Still, doesn't do to be too negative, mights well get this crate airborne, brakes off, bit of power, engage nose wheel steering and we're off.....nose wheel steering....engage....bollocks. Throttle isn't working either. Parks, gets out and decides to go back to the hotel.

Seems that switch and key assignment etc isn't automatic and my throttle isn't even visible. Looks like I have to RTFM on the sim itself before going up tidily up.
Wrt the switches sometimes not clicking unless you scroll - think it may be same issue I had when first started - screen resolution in settings did not match my 'actual' screen resolution. I also found ticking the 'fullscreen' box in settings whacked a fair few FPS up.

I have to admit the cockpit representation is good but some lights are about 1 pixel in size. Lowered the seat and some are now 2 pixels in size. Okay I can live with it just.
"Zoom in/Zoom out" will help you with some of the smaller labelling or fiddly bits. It's normally one of the assignments recommended to the HOTAS in the Chuck's Guides.

Clearly need to do something about the screen. Some of the checks, post startup, are a bit tricky. I have to look to the side with the mouse to manipulate a switch but can't look at the eyebrow panel at the same time to see the results. One or two of the switches seem to miss the momentary function for self testing and I haven't worked out how to turn a knob with the turny icon. A few of the MFD screens seem to have been lost in delivery.
Don't forget, you can normally choose to start a mission with the engine already going and ready to taxi (or even in the air). It may be possible that you can zoom out enough to see the switch and eyebrow panel at the same time, I don't have the F-16 module. But if you have to skip a panel light test as part of the pre-flight, it's not the end of the world. Switchology can be tricky, especially with rotary switches (often on radio controls) which have two or three rotors around a central column. For example, the base will rotate separately to the central part and have two different functions. You need to be very careful about where you place the mouse cursor. Left and right clicking will move controls two different directions, at least on three-position switches, you may have to do some experimenting to determine which is which on any particular switch. Rotating knobs are normally controlled by mouse wheel. I personally find them backwards, with scroll-up decreasing volume on the radio, for example. American MFD buttons are context-dependent, only a few like the "Menu" button (think "home button") will remain constant, all the other buttons depend on what screen you're on right now. Consider the MFD to be something of a flow-chart/tree structure, going down one path opens up other paths. You get used to it.

The main hat on the stick is associated with moving round the cockpit which begs the question as to where the trim function is. Probably need to learn some code or other for that. Some of the dials are also hidden behind the stick. Normally you'd just lean a bit and it would be ok. EPU fuel gauge is well hidden
By default, there is a key binding for trim which eludes my memory right now. The last couple of lines there leads me to believe that the hat defaults to "Panning/looking around", not "moving around." There are other key bindings to physically move your 'head' left/right/up/down/forwards/backwards in order to see items which are obstructed, or on some aircraft like the F5, so you can see over the nose of the airplane when landing.

Frankly, I gave up on trying to do the panning/moving combinations on stick and keyboard and decided my HOTAS bindings were better used on something else (such as trim), so I got the Track IR to do all that by actually moving my head. Definitely a good move if I'm going to be doing this sim a lot.

Still have to find out if I can shout at the ground crew for pulling final pins and closing up.
Open up the radio menu, I believe F8 is ground crew. The tutorial should cover that (At least, it does on other aircraft).

Seems that switch and key assignment etc isn't automatic and my throttle isn't even visible. Looks like I have to RTFM on the sim itself before going up tidily up.
The controls options for DCS are both incredibly complicated and elegant at the same time. Hit escape, go to the control options menu. You will see that all the controls are configured by each aircraft type. (To the point that I've printed out a template of my HOTAS buttons so I can have a quick reference next to me as to which of the 25 buttons does what when I'm flying aircraft X). There is also a search function, so if you are looking for an infrequently used control and are wondering what the hell the key binding is, at the top where the filter dropdown normally defaults to "all" you can either go to the category of control you're looking for, or select "search" and type whatever it is you're trying to do, such as "trim", and it'll bring up the controls currently set.

To change/bind your HOTAS, go to the command you want to bind, then move to the cell under the column for input device. Double-click the cell, it'll open up a binding window. Then press whatever button or move whatever lever (throttle) you want to actually perform the task. You can put modifiers on there as well, if you want, like "If I press button 12, it does this. If I press button 15 as well as button 12, it does that", but with three five-way hats and five buttons on the one controller, I've not yet seen the need to go there.

PFGEN

GCM
@California_Tanker Thanks for the tips, lot of good info and it's time for some homework. Hadn't read Chucks guide yet but I clearly need to have a look through it at the weekend, as well as find out where my throttle went and return the buttons to what they normally would be. After that its learn some of the keycodes for controlling DCS. I like the sound of the Track IR.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

Announced yesterday evening (UK time), release date is going to be 18 August.

I think I will just be going for the base version at £59.
Premium at £109 is a bit steep, but it does have Heathrow.
Hopefully my new CPU and Motherboard wil be here by then, it’s been delayed twice already

I think I will just be going for the base version at £59.
Premium at £109 is a bit steep, but it does have Heathrow.
Hopefully my new CPU and Motherboard wil be here by then, it’s been delayed twice already
What did you purchase?
Mine are getting on a bit and holes are developing in my pockets...
Screenshot_20200714-080604.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

Announced yesterday evening (UK time), release date is going to be 18 August.

1. A truly dire selection of planes in all versions - no rotary.
  2. No VR
  3. Very high system specs needed (2080s) even before VR is implemented
  4. Tiny number of airports.
  5. Expensive.
So - not yet for me. The ideal would be DCS aircraft (not the GA shite from MSFS2020) over MSFS terrain, on VR, with weapons. Multiplayer meh.

Not that I've got the time to play it much at the moment - all I do is spark up DCS and do hornet carrier landings off the IoW.

What did you purchase?
View attachment 489537
Just make sure the case has enough space for airflow and enough fans to drive it. My youngest built a gaming PC a year or so ago, but had to upgrade the case because the components were overheating. It was a glass-sided one like the above, which jogged my memory.

What did you purchase?
I went for the following:

Intel Core i9 10900K (OC to 5.1ghz)
ASUS Maximus 12 HERO Wifi Motherboard
2x16GB Corsair VengRGBPRO DDR4 3000
Corsair Hydro H100i Add RG

I already have a good case and a stack of really quiet fans. My Corsair AXI1200 gold will be more than enough power and the 1080ti should be ok till they release the 3xxx series graphics cards when I will either get one or go for a 2080ti....if I need it.

This will only be for Star Citizen, DCS and MS flight sim

1. A truly dire selection of planes in all versions - no rotary.
  2. No VR
  3. Very high system specs needed (2080s) even before VR is implemented
  4. Tiny number of airports.
  5. Expensive.
So - not yet for me. The ideal would be DCS aircraft (not the GA shite from MSFS2020) over MSFS terrain, on VR, with weapons. Multiplayer meh.

Not that I've got the time to play it much at the moment - all I do is spark up DCS and do hornet carrier landings off the IoW.
My bold. On the same link I posted:

Recommended
Your device should meet these requirements for the best experience

OSWindows 10 version 18362.0 or higher
Architecturex64
KeyboardIntegrated Keyboard
MouseIntegrated Mouse
DirectXVersion 11
Memory16 GB
Video Memory4 GB
ProcessorIntel i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
GraphicsNVIDIA GTX 970 | AMD Radeon RX 590

Edited to add: I discovered that though they state that this is the recommended spec for a PC, as opposed to the minimum spec, there is also an 'ideal' spec, which is, indeed, quite a high spec, starting on the installation, on a 150Gb SSD drive.

You are indeed correct, Sir..

Last edited:
Further to my last, a preview of Flight Simulator, for those who might be interested...

Edited to add pricing info video below:

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Further to my last, a preview of Flight Simulator, for those who might be interested...

I wanted to see a good crash, I’m disappointed ☹️.

Edited to add: I discovered that though they state that this is the recommended spec for a PC, as opposed to the minimum spec, there is also an 'ideal' spec, which is, indeed, quite a high spec, starting on the installation, on a 150Gb SSD drive.
It really feels very resource intensive. This is a worry. A few years ago (perhaps they still do it) google earth had a very simple flight simulator with shocking realism bolted onto GE. It worked because it was so simple but the reality behind the scenes was that something was working hard to render the imagery.

My concern with MSFS2020 is that they'll have the same issues in trying to render the terrain and so something, somewhere will take a hit. For a while it looked like it would be VR until MS were told in no uncertain terms that unless VR was part of the roadmap (and an early one) sales would be limited.

Fingers crossed for the new FS but it looks like a case of 'don't fly a Mk1 Flight Sim.' Wait until the 3rd party community embraces it. God help us if it's anothe MS Flight.

Watching some of the sims in use on YouTube I am struck by just how much greater the degree of realism there is at the airports - pushback tugs, airstairs that move back when ready for pushback, moving vehicles etc. etc. However, from my experience only X-Plane gave you realistic aircraft flight performance, all the rest just applied an algorithm so you got some very unrealistic performances (anyone want to snap roll a B737 for example).

It also appears that every new release has increased the operating computer demands massively to account for the ever increasing "realism" of scenery and add-ons while ignoring the aircraft functionality. I suspect MS2020 will be another in the same vein.

Anyone know how / if it’s possible to acquire freeware aircraft for DCS Steam edition?
I have the A10c but fecked if I’m gonna fork out several hundred for a handful of others.

There are user-generalted mods you can obtain such as the A-4 Skyhawk or Mirage F1. They normally don't have the level of fidelity of the 'real' thing (Clickable 3D cockpit etc) and occasionally have side-effects, like only usable in single-player mode.

I got my new gaming rig up and running over the weekend. Whisper quiet, even when running Star Citizen and DCS. The CPU doesn't seem to even notice they are running so hopefully that should future proof me for a few years.
I also decided to go for MS Flight Sim 2020 Premium, so really looking forward to the 18th August.

endure

GCM

Latest Threads