Flight Sim Pilots?

From what I have seen on YouTube videos, DCS is very accurate with regards to aircraft operation. They have modelled the aircraft systems so the correct switches have to be thrown to make the thing work as it says on the tin.
DCS aircraft are outstandingly good and the terrain is dire.

MSFS is the opposite, terrain is great but the current aircraft (and the UX) suck. I’m also finding MSFS really jumpy at the moment.

What’s really needed is the terrain engine in DCS brought to MSFS standard (not the other way around as the MSFS developer community are snarky about weapons) and more maps. I’m tired of flying over Kent and Nevada...

DCS aircraft are outstandingly good and the terrain is dire.

MSFS is the opposite, terrain is great but the current aircraft (and the UX) suck. I’m also finding MSFS really jumpy at the moment.

What’s really needed is the terrain engine in DCS brought to MSFS standard (not the other way around as the MSFS developer community are snarky about weapons) and more maps. I’m tired of flying over Kent and Nevada...
Did the latest update for DCS improve the weather and clouds? From watching YouTube clips (growling sidewinder), the Terrain looks no different tHan EF2000.

Welcome to the cray-zay world of DCS. After a while it seems to settle down in my experience, although the new 2.7 is throwing up a few bugs. As for flying the aircraft, without MM or VR most of the aircraft are near-impossible to fly outside of arcade mode.
There is an arcade mode? That might be a better place to start

From what I have seen on YouTube videos, DCS is very accurate with regards to aircraft operation. They have modelled the aircraft systems so the correct switches have to be thrown to make the thing work as it says on the tin.
Yep - thats my impression. Even starting the bloody thing is hard and thats with tutorial

R0B

War Hero
Had my first go this afternoon.

Training session in the P51

First thing I did was jettison the canopy - so thought that I had better listen to the instructor after that.

Couldn't start it

Couldn't taxi it

Crashed on takeoff

Quit to desktop.

This may take a while

I had the same issues with the X-Plane 11 X-Trident Tornado simulator. It has a 65 item list just to get to the end of the runway but after a while it does start to sink in and you find yourself doing everything without referring to the instruction so much.

I still do occasionally find I miss something off the list and found out that you can take-off with the airbrakes out after failing to put them in before taxi.

Landing is always the hardest bit and after 700 landings I still screw the occasional one up and end up too slow although my manual didn't have any instructions for landing but eventually worked it out.

It all sounds very complicated. Get yerselves on Wings of Steel and start blatting them Japs. Hours of fun... well... months actually.

Did the latest update for DCS improve the weather and clouds? From watching YouTube clips (growling sidewinder), the Terrain looks no different tHan EF2000.
Yes, the community has started thrapping itself about how lovely the clouds are in the 2.7 release. NEVER go beta on DCS. Up close (in Gazelle etc) the terrain looks like minecraft.

Yes, the community has started thrapping itself about how lovely the clouds are in the 2.7 release. NEVER go beta on DCS. Up close (in Gazelle etc) the terrain looks like minecraft.
Agreed, however I do enjoy watching the dog fights on DCS, or watching fast jet pilots try and fly helicopters, doff my cap to all aviators I just jump out of them, sod trying to fly them.

Agreed, however I do enjoy watching the dog fights on DCS, or watching fast jet pilots try and fly helicopters, doff my cap to all aviators I just jump out of them, sod trying to fly them.
The gazelle gets a bad press for some reason (and it is the French version with more holds than the UK vanilla version) but having tuned my version, I‘m really happy with flight handling apart from a few quirks. The sad thing is that the LL environment in DCS (particularly on VR) looks very dated. By contrast the Bing-enabled mapping in MSFS is really nice, even when low.

But no rotary in MSFS...

The gazelle gets a bad press for some reason (and it is the French version with more holds than the UK vanilla version) but having tuned my version, I‘m really happy with flight handling apart from a few quirks. The sad thing is that the LL environment in DCS (particularly on VR) looks very dated. By contrast the Bing-enabled mapping in MSFS is really nice, even when low.

But no rotary in MSFS...
Not a PC owner so waiting for MSFS coming out for the series x, my last venture with flight sun was a mix of F15E and Typhoon, never got the hand Of the eagle, managed some A2A kills and a runway bombed on typhoon. Refuelling was emotional.

R0B

War Hero
Just about finished my first Tornado GR.1 instrument for X-Plane 11 and X-Trident's Tornado.

My GR.1 gauge on the left, real F3 gauge (has different flaps and wingsweep) on the right. Just the lighting to add.

IMG_2301.jpg

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Looking forward to trying out my first flight sim on the 27th July with Microsoft Flight Sim 2020.

Looking forward to trying out my first flight sim on the 27th July with Microsoft Flight Sim 2020.
You got PC / joystick etc already?

Ritch

LE
You got PC / joystick etc already?

I bought a Thrustmaster T.Flight for the Xbox One recently to use on Elite Dangerous. I sold it on eBay after a few weeks. I couldn't get used to it and also, I found the stick would have a mind of its own. Plan to use the controller first and depending on that, might use the new gear that is coming out - yoke and pedals etc.

Latest Threads