Flight Sim Pilots?

didnt the company making it go bust just after a beta test and refuse to handover its source code to someone off to finish?

My take on it was that there was a disagreement between DCS and VEAO (Virtual European Air Operations). I believe they designed the Hawk different to an optimum DCS module, but in any case, DCS was constantly updating the sim which was making the Hawk constantly break and need fixing.
I recon VEAO got the shits with DCS because they hadn’t planned on having to update the Hawk so much, alternatively it could have been VEAO’s design.

In any case, when they pulled the pin the community turned on them, they changed their name and develop on another platform now.

It was a shame because I really like Chris and the guys and the Hawk and felt they were trying but if you have spent all your money building the Hawk and fixing it 10 times as the sim changes, at what point do you stop sinking money in.

As far as the source code, this is where my theory comes from that they didn’t use a standard DCS code and tried to develop something different (better) which again may have meant the aircraft broke after every DCS patch either that or the licences they got to build the Hawk didn’t allow them to transfer the source code legally, (the source code hasn’t gone anywhere, Hawk can still be flown in DCS 1.5, but I assume the VEAO/DCS contract doesn’t allow others from using it, including DCS, I wonder if that has changed since the Hawk debacle?).

NSP

LE
My take on it was that there was a disagreement between DCS and VEAO (Virtual European Air Operations). I believe they designed the Hawk different to an optimum DCS module, but in any case, DCS was constantly updating the sim which was making the Hawk constantly break and need fixing.
I recon VEAO got the shits with DCS because they hadn’t planned on having to update the Hawk so much, alternatively it could have been VEAO’s design.

In any case, when they pulled the pin the community turned on them, they changed their name and develop on another platform now.

It was a shame because I really like Chris and the guys and the Hawk and felt they were trying but if you have spent all your money building the Hawk and fixing it 10 times as the sim changes, at what point do you stop sinking money in.

As far as the source code, this is where my theory comes from that they didn’t use a standard DCS code and tried to develop something different (better) which again may have meant the aircraft broke after every DCS patch either that or the licences they got to build the Hawk didn’t allow them to transfer the source code legally, (the source code hasn’t gone anywhere, Hawk can still be flown in DCS 1.5, but I assume the VEAO/DCS contract doesn’t allow others from using it, including DCS, I wonder if that has changed since the Hawk debacle?).
There must be a lot of that: you've built this great module but now we're moving the goalposts. Start again. Compo? Jog on!! Read the small print!

Right, then, deck-swabber. So, I've got the A4 and the Eye-talian one - and the "easy" manuals. Can't start 'em. Focussing on the Skyhawk it seems that I can't hold the engine start button down is the problem. Whether I use a keyboard binding or the mouse in the dynamic cockpit or a mapped button on my joystick (no sniggering on the lower decks) the start button in the model bounces even if I hold the key, mouse/joystick button down. I need the virtual start button to stay down as long as I hold the key/button down apparently. My admittedly pissed Googling hasn't helped in the slightest.

The Gazelle module might be shoite but at least I can turn and burn and fly that (unlike during my one and only effort in a real one).
You need ground power connected to start the A4E. Have you done that first via the comms menu?

There must be a lot of that: you've built this great module but now we're moving the goalposts. Start again. Compo? Jog on!! Read the small print!
That was my take, quite a few people on the forums called me out for suggesting it but VEAO were a really good company with a good background with the Virtual Red Arrows and some other access to aircraft.

Eagle Dynamics shut the conversation down obviously it’s speculation and none of my business and everyone needs to move on, other modules survived so who knows.

I looked around for a joystick but even the expensive ones seemed to be out of stock. I saw a cheapie £30 Thrustmaster and ordered that. It arrived a couple of days ago and it does have a throttle control on the side that I didn't notice when I ordered it which I'm glad about as it's really useful.

It makes quite a difference using a joystick rather than the mouse. I don't crash as often now but I'm still having issues landing I can only walk away from about 10% at present.

Tornado on X Plane 11.
View attachment 539113

Also I have a hardware project to link to X Plane 11. This is the first 16 LEDs of the Central Warning Panel (bottom right in the cockpit above) and one switch from the engine start panel.
View attachment 539115

(ETA: Fix bottom left for bottom right)
What's your intention with the lights and switches? Put them into a physical cockpit?

R0B

War Hero
What's your intention with the lights and switches? Put them into a physical cockpit?

If all goes well I'll make a physical cockpit I'm going to struggle finding out what the dimensions are to do this properly.

My plan was to build a few working prototypes for instruments and panels that are used a lot. Then start putting the prototypes into physical instruments and add one instrument at a time until I've done them all.

I've only been using a sim since mid December and I've been flying it with a mouse until this week when the joystick arrived. This is probably going to be a slow time project.

I made all the panels for the right and left console of the F-18C

EE893489-9045-4B4F-A6C5-AB7F8BA607AF.jpeg

FE7E8451-A7AE-459B-9E3C-C0CF7DDF69D9.jpeg

4CB1A955-773D-4C9F-8146-58417EA2B67B.jpeg

CF50D07A-50F2-42C1-99BF-756C463098F6.jpeg

Yes. I'm following the steps in the guide.
Ok, I think I've recreated the issue you were having. WIth ground power on, had you right clicked the throttles out of the OFF detent prior to clicking the starter switch? That's the only way I could find that caused the same issue. Correct start is-click starter button (no need to hold down). At 5% RPM right click once on the throttle to raise out of the OFF detent, then when RPM is at 15% right click one more time to bring throttles to the idle detent. Left clicking the throttles whilst in idle reverses the procedure.

Hope that maybe solves your issue.

As per:

NSP

LE
Ok, I think I've recreated the issue you were having. WIth ground power on, had you right clicked the throttles out of the OFF detent prior to clicking the starter switch? That's the only way I could find that caused the same issue. Correct start is-click starter button (no need to hold down). At 5% RPM right click once on the throttle to raise out of the OFF detent, then when RPM is at 15% right click one more time to bring throttles to the idle detent. Left clicking the throttles whilst in idle reverses the procedure.

Hope that maybe solves your issue.

As per:

Throttles to off as far as I can tell. I'll have a play over the w/e. Bit busy with a shaggy dog story at the moment. The life of a resident's management company director is not without grief and aggravation. Well, with this one isn't, anyway!! Bloody geriatrics!!

Edited to add: oh, look - Dimmler74 showing why he's SPotY2020 and has his username initial changed from an H to a D by many herein.

Last edited:
MSFS did not like my old joystick at all, so ended up with a Honeycombe Alpha yoke I've been clowning around with for a few weeks but really wanted a joystick for a bit of fast air. I've been looking around for a decent joystick for ages but they were like rocking horse shiit to get hold of even then at over inflated prices as it seems the Chinky Flu has everybody taking up flight simming whilst stuck at home.
I ended up going for the best I could get (read: Best I could get away with without sending Mrs Biff spastic.) so I went for the warthog joystick and Throttle module, which I picked up and hid yesterday and just opened whilst she was out.
Jesus Titty Christ. If you thought you could get away sneaking this past the other half without her noticing, don't bother. I knew it was going to be big but nothing could prepare you for the size, weight and quality of these Thrustmaster flight controls.
With the yoke, throttle and joystick, there is now no room on my desk, even for a brew!
I'm going to have to rethink how I use this lot as it's no longer feasible to use the age old excuse saying, "Oh yeah, I've had that for ages, love"

Last edited:
MSFS did not like my old joystick, at all so ended up with a Honeycombe Alpha yoke I've been clowning around with for a few weeks but really wanted a joystick for a bit of fast air. I've been looking around for a decent joystick for ages but they were like rocking horse shiit to get hold of even then at over inflated prices as it seems the Chinky Flu has everybody taking up flight simming whilst stuck at home.
I ended up going for the best I could get (read: Best I could get away with without sending Mrs Biff spastic.) so I went for the warthog joystick and Throttle module, which I picked up and hid yesterday and just opened whilst she was out.
Jesus Titty Christ. If you thought you could get away sneaking this past the other half without her noticing, don't bother. I knew it was going to be big but nothing could compare you for the size, weight and quality of these Thrustmaster flight controls.
With the yoke, throttle and joystick, there is now no room on my desk, even for a brew!
I'm going to have to rethink how I use this lot as it's no longer feasible to use the age old excuse saying, "Oh yeah, I've had that for ages, love"
You sound like my oppo who did his 22 in 2 Para, as he successfully got the same set-up past his missus, followed by the Occulus Rift when it first came out, followed by (now) his HP Reverb G2. Funnily enough, I made do (budget at the time) with a set of Saitek/Logitech flight rudder pedals, and the Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS. Both are good (though not as well made as the Warthog set-up). Currently saving up for the Honeycomb Alpha, and the throttle quadrant from them, as I want to home-study and have a go at preparing myself for a real flight lesson or three. Having said that, I spent ages just learning to taxi the DCS Spitfire, as it has an as-real castoring tail wheel, and, along with the immense torque on take-off, I managed to destroy more Spits in 3 weeks in my home than the Luftwaffe managed in over 4 years of war!

By the way, my oppo also bought the Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder Pedals, and they are pretty amazing. However, just like your HOTAS, at over 15lb weight, they are a bitch to try and hide from Mrs Biff, should you try going down that route!

You sound like my oppo who did his 22 in 2 Para, as he successfully got the same set-up past his missus, followed by the Occulus Rift when it first came out, followed by (now) his HP Reverb G2. Funnily enough, I made do (budget at the time) with a set of Saitek/Logitech flight rudder pedals, and the Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS. Both are good (though not as well made as the Warthog set-up). Currently saving up for the Honeycomb Alpha, and the throttle quadrant from them, as I want to home-study and have a go at preparing myself for a real flight lesson or three. Having said that, I spent ages just learning to taxi the DCS Spitfire, as it has an as-real castoring tail wheel, and, along with the immense torque on take-off, I managed to destroy more Spits in 3 weeks in my home than the Luftwaffe managed in over 4 years of war!

By the way, my oppo also bought the Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder Pedals, and they are pretty amazing. However, just like your HOTAS, at over 15lb weight, they are a bitch to try and hide from Mrs Biff, should you try going down that route!

I looked at those then quickly looked away again. The guys at the link you posted want the best part of £700 sheets :oops: :oops:
I've been looking at the Thrustmaster T Flight rudder pedals for £90 but any rudder pedals I get will have to fit in the knee hole on the desk. The alternative is getting a new desk which I'm sure she'll notice.

I'm using MFG Crosswind pedals in my rig which have proven to be excellent pedals for me, really happy with the quality and feel.

I had to move my rig down in to the lounge to free up a bedroom whilst we decide whether to extend or move house.

This is the current location where we will need redocorate. Need to hide the wires and pipes after I moved the radiator a couple of days ago.
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2610.jpg

Here you can see the pedals.
IMG_2614.jpg

I'm using MFG Crosswind pedals in my rig which have proven to be excellent pedals for me, really happy with the quality and feel.

I had to move my rig down in to the lounge to free up a bedroom whilst we decide whether to extend or move house.

This is the current location where we will need redocorate. Need to hide the wires and pipes after I moved the radiator a couple of days ago.
View attachment 555146View attachment 555147

Here you can see the pedals.
View attachment 555148
What's the seat and arm setup? Selfbuild?
I've looked at those MFG rudders. Excellent quality and easily replaceable parts.

Last edited:
What's the seat and arm setup? Selfbuild?
Yeah I built it a year or two ago. It is built using studwork timber and 18mm ply tops.
the seat is from an Audi A6 and the electric seat controls hooked up to a 12v transformer.

The keyboard arm came from old monitor arms that were being skipped at a contract I was working on.

I looked at those then quickly looked away again. The guys at the link you posted want the best part of £700 sheets :oops: :oops:
I've been looking at the Thrustmaster T Flight rudder pedals for £90 but any rudder pedals I get will have to fit in the knee hole on the desk. The alternative is getting a new desk which I'm sure she'll notice.

Yes, the price they go for is pretty prohibitive, though construction-wise, they are probably as tough as the real thing has to be in an airframe... I certainly can't afford them or justify the cost of them currently.

Had a cabby on the MFG Crosswind pedals, and I can concur that they are also very good (@Skunkmeister).

Regarding MSFS2020, I've quite enjoyed checking out this chap and his comments:

He got into flight simming with the first iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and that inspired him to end up, as he is now, as a pilot instructor in real life. I find him to be entertaining, quintessentially Irish, and funny, as well as knowledgeable.. He likes to make out what a cool pilot he really is with the flight sim, then at the end, drops in the outtakes revealing that he didn't actually find what he was doing that easy, at all...

Yeah I built it a year or two ago. It is built using studwork timber and 18mm ply tops.
the seat is from an Audi A6 and the electric seat controls hooked up to a 12v transformer.

The keyboard arm came from old monitor arms that were being skipped at a contract I was working on.
What have you stuck the joystick on?