Flight Sim enquiry raises terror alert

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Don't think I will bother getting autoroute from the USA again then.. :D

3. Definitely lost the plot - witness the latest knee-jerk reaction re: visas and fingerprinting - as if any would-be terrorist organisation is going to use operatives with criminal records!
    I remember seeing National Guard troops at JFK airport searching passengers' shoes - only dark-skinned passengers, mind... and this was passengers leaving the US!
    George III - best King they ever had...

4. paranoia must be apart of the american psyche.

Losers...

6. I think they're just not very good at security as it's all a bit new to them as their whole setup has been massively expanded since 9/11. So they tend to overreact and panic as they've all been told to expect Osama Bin Laden in a C4 waistcoat with anthrax filled shoes and a nuclear warhead down his pants in the next five minutes.

Going through the security checks leaving the US recently the screeners were all very new and pretty incompetent to be honest. They couldn't cope with a couple of old dears in wheelchairs just in front of us - if you put them through the metal detector in the chair it went off, but they couldn't walk through without it. Panic, waving arms - it would be funny if it wasn't someones grandparents in the middle of it all.

They just follow the rules - which don't cover the situation - as they haven't the training or authority to do anything else. Sad really.

7. Ah, Americans. Anyone seen the Michael Moore film "Bowling for Columbine"? Like him or loathe him, he concludes that a lot of America's problems come down to paranoia. And I think he's on to something there. I can't remember the exact statistic, but it's only a very low percentage of American citizens that own passports, i.e. a very low percentage that have ever travelled outside the borders of the US. And nothing beats ignorance for breeding fear.

And look at their TV news and reality TV shows. Everything is about cops running around with guns chasing nasty crims. No wonder they all live in fear and own more weapons than they could ever use. And the TV companies peddle all this sh*te, because nice fluffy stories don't sell advertising space, and nor do news items concerning goings on in foreign countries, as they don't know or care a hoot about anything overseas.

I'm putting my soap box away now. I thank you.

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Michael Moore, second only in lying, I apologise, 'spin' to the dope-smoking, wife-cheating, draft-dodging, scumbag husband of the previous US President, wouldn't tell the truth if his life depended upon it. He tells stories as if they were true, the "documentary" 'Bowling for Columbine' was good as a work of fiction, but it was presented as gospel. Unfortunately most people read current events without thinking of any questions afterwards. I like to think that I have a healthy amount of scepticism towards most journalistic reports, let's face it journalists don't tell the truth. They give their own interpretation of the truth coloured by their sympathy or antipathy to the subject concerned. Having said that, Moore isn't a real journalist, just an old fashioned liar.

But that's beside the point. The septics are over-reacting, probably more on an individual level than as directed from on high.

Ain't putting my soapbox away, think I'll need it later...... :wink:

10. With an accreditation like that Michael Moore should be running for Office.

11. The answer is yes. The sad thing is that all the security measures necessary were in place pre-9/11. They weren’t used, though, due to the fact that the FBI has been so fragmented and politicized. The Boys in Bureau HQ in DC don’t want to hear any bad news from the boondocks that might embarrass the Big Boys down the street in the Big Buildings.

The creation of a separate organization for security mandates that it give itself something to deal with. What a mistake.

Arkady wrote:
    No one of old-line Norwegian or Danish descent has tried to blow-up an airliner lately. You can thank that British guy with the demo shoes for some of the silliness. Planes leaving the US can be blown up too, you know. We worry about everyone’s safety.

Eagle wrote:
    How true. One wonders exactly how the FBI expects people to get from place to place. Intuition? Another example of fools believing they’re justifying their existence.

One_of_the_strange wrote:
    It’s not that. We've been doing it longer than you have. It’s just that airport security has traditionally been a very low-paying job. The expression “you get what you pay for” has never been truer.

Lost Comms wrote:
    I think that’s because we don’t need them as much as you. I can go to Florida without one if I feel the need. I don’t because it’s much too far away, closer to you than me actually. My point is that I can hop in my car and drive for 4-5 days without leaving the country. You need a passport to go the same distance. Beautiful Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia are much closer but so far (and I expect this to be screwed up soon) I don’t need a passport to go there, or to Mexico. Hey, you don’t actually need one in Euro-land anymore either, do you?

However, many young Americans have had extensive foreign travel. Kuwait, Iraq, the Balkans, Liberia, Somalia, Korea. Is it any wonder they don’t see the big world out there in a good light?

Ignorance breeding fear? Like yours of the US? Have you ever been here? I know a lot of people who, like yourself, are thought of as “to the right” because of their military association. Most of the gun and reality type shows are looked upon with scorn by us. I must admit I do like “Cops” for its Simpson-like qualities. But it’s the only one. There are hundreds of TV channels here. You can’t point at one (or several) and say, “Oh see, they’re all alike.”

Most of the people I know don’t own guns or rather use guns. Some have a personally owned handgun that they used when younger (see "However," above) but is now hidden away, disassembled, so the kids won’t get at it. I have one lefty, non-military co-worker who uses his shotgun to blow little birds to bits for sport. He doesn’t eat them. My pal, Big Eddie in the Lower Peninsula, hunts. He eats everything he shoots. Likes the taste. He doesn’t have to belong to some snobby club to do it either.

No, you haven’t been here. The news here is as divided between local, national and international just as it is there. And people watch it. I will admit that the newsies do like to be tabloid-like about the bad stuff. That’s why a person should get information from many sources, and analyze it. In the military, yours and ours, that’s called “intelligence” (notice use of BBC/Guardian style “I doubt it” quotation marks. Up theirs). BTW, your faith in the verity of Michael Moore shows your lack of knowledge about the USA.

Nurse wrote:
    Just us? Not really. For example, my wife is getting ready to air travel to Texas and Arizona at different times. This stuff never comes up in the discussion, only how long it’s going to take. I know a number of people who air travel regularly, even to Europe, and no one worries about it all that much. Really.

There are many people who are fully conscious of the danger of the world around us. That doesn’t make them paranoid, though. Paranoia was invented by that Austrian guy, Sigmund something, I think. He gave it to everyone, not just Americans.

Americans, I might say, usually find references to how we’d be better off if we were still part of Britain highly amusing. This is because it happened such a long time ago and indicates you’re really reaching for the obligatory Spam slam.

Well, that ought to about do it. Thanks for the use of the soapbox, Your Eminence.