Flickering Laptop Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Legs, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need a little help with my laptop. I have a 6(ish) month old Packard Bell Easynote LJ71. I have an odd problem with the screen.

When anything on screen moves (video, gif, adverts on websites, loading websites, flicking between tab or windows etc...) then I get a load of flickering lines around the moving portion of the screen. As soon as I plug an HDMI cable in though, it all works perfectly.

Any ideas?
  2. change your graphic settings, unless you say what system your running cant really step by step it, but right click on desktop and look through properties
  3. Sorry. I'm running Windows 7. This is what the screen resolution button gives me:

4. Click on the "Monitor" tab of the combobox you posted in your screenshot. I'd recommend a setting of 60 for the Refresh Rate.

Alternatively, it could be a physical fault. Packard Bell computers are cheap rubbish, built down to a price. It should be noted that Packard Bell is not a "make" but a "brand" of DSGi (Dixons/Currys/PC World).The staff routinely tell lies about who actually makes them, stating that the manufacturer is Philips, Panasonic etc. Not so.

If it's 6 months old, you're still well within your warranty. Try changing the settings as stated, and if you've no joy, take it back and if you get the chance, buy something else (but not an Advent - they are even worse)
  5. Incorrect, Packard Bell are part of Acer/Gateway, if you turn one over it's marked on the back. Anyhow bit like 95% of plasma screens are made by LG, laptops now come out of three factories in China whatever the brand.
  6. Warranty job. Get it sorted by them asap as this could be more complicated than it seems based on my own experience when Dell had a bad batch of Radeon graphics cards several years ago.
  7. msr

msr LE

If you take it back the first thing they will do is reset it to the 'factory defaults', which will wipe your data.

I would try the latest graphic card drivers as a first option: Graphics Drivers & Software

8. I would try rigging an external monitor, and seeing if the problem persists. This way you can check the previously mentioned graphics issue, as well as checking that its not a problem with the monitor's scan rate.
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Sounds like it's the inverter - thing that controls the power to the screen on laptops - they normally go after a few years. If it's under warranty then get a portable HD - transfer EVERYTHING onto that (costs about £49.00) then take it in to where you bought it and tell them it's the inverter and let them sort it out. If not under warranty your local funny little computer shop on the corner run by a 19 year old uber geek should be able to replace it with a new one for £75.00 all in.
  10. News to me. Thanks for the update. Acer stuff is pretty decent. Noted!