Flickering laptop monitor with blackened corner.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Horridlittleman, May 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I sit here and type this my laptop is flickering like a mad thing. To make it worse and what is slightly worrying is the bottom right hand side of the screen is red hot and appears to be burnt - although when the laptop is shut down and restarted the mark disappears for a few minutes. The mark currently covers the area where the time is displayed on the windows bar.

Does anyone have any idea if this is worth trying to get fixed or should I just buy a new machine?
  2. msr

msr LE

How old is it?

Have you tried hoovering the fans?

3. It's 3.5 years old, has one Telic tour under its microprocessor and hasn't ever had any hoover action. I am guessing that is the way ahead (once it's shut down!).

I don't want to replace it as it does all i ask of it - surfs the net, stores my photos and plays some tunes from time to time along with minimal office type work.
  4. msr

msr LE

Might be clogged with dust after a TELIC...

At 3.5 years old, I would be looking for replacement, or at the very least a quality backup solution.

5. The backup solution is already happening but more out of habit than age of laptop.

The TELIC was over a year ago and never appeared to cause concern - maybe the alsation-doberman cross that's malting like a lunatic isn't helping the situation!

I can understand the flickering possibly due to overheating but any idea why the screen would heat up in one particular area?
  6. There are those who say that vacuuming out a computer is tantamount to some type of cyber sacrilege.

However on the advice of Aunty_Stella I tried this and I know for sure that my computer runs far better.

7. There is the possibility of a loose connection or break in the lead that goes to the screen or a problem with your graphics card. You can check the graphics card if you plug a monitor in and if that is ok the the screen needs to be checked. The heat source could be a break/loose connection, take the screen apart carefully and check the wiring, ensure there are no lose wires. Clean out after the check and before you put the screen together again turn on and check to see it is ok. Remember once you take the screen apart it will probably be loose from the body of the laptop so go carefully. :)

8. This happened to my laptop just over a month ago. The dark spot gradually kept getting slightly bigger until the screen started cutting out completely. Sometimes it would last for half an hour or longer before blacking out but would then cut out in less than a minute every time. If you looked closely you could see that the screen still worked but was very dark, some bloke in a PC repair shop said it was due to the screen backlight packing in. Cost £120 to get a refurbed screen fitted as it's a Dell and the backlight is built into the screen but had no similar problems since. Might just be better off getting a new machine if you dont fancy forking out that much to get it fixed.
  9. While we're on this monitor topic, myne's fucked too.
    When i load the PC up and the desktop shows, it is only half the size it should be. So i have 2 large black bars. One at the top, one at the bottom.
    Yet if i log out and then back in, the whole screen is used.
    Why the feck is it doing this? 8O

Edit: Worth mentioning this is a Samsung HDTV used as a PC monitor.
  10. As evil_scotsman has said it does sound like the backlight is on its way out. To check, when it is up and running point a torch at the dark area and see if you can see the desktop image, if you can its almost certainly the backlight.

This may be something you can replace yourself, it may not, what is the make and model of the laptop?

My initial thought on this one is that the screen settings on your HDTV are not set to 'auto adjust' or something similar. So it is displaying the exact resolution that your PC is putting out, rather than adjusting it to fill the screen.
  11. Yes maybe the backlight but the fact that there is a "red hot" heat source may indicate other problems which may need looking at, dismantle, check and clean first before spending money. If the problem persists then go for the backlight, but in todays market is it worth it? A new laptop would be best and possibly cheaper in the long run.

12. Thanks for all of the advice. I hoovered out the fan and the screen seems to be more stable, although the hot spot still exists. I'll have a go at taking it apart over the weekend.

The laptop is a toshiba equium and I woudn't pay £100 to get it repaired - I need an excuse to get a new one!
  13. Just be careful that you don't spill any wine or other similar substance over it while it is running, this will likely cause permanent damage and will leave the machine in a state of deadness!

Obviously, if this unfortunately occurance should happen you may be able to claim on your home contents insurance!
  14. Well the screen finally packed in and this is being written courtesy of mr nokia and his wireless connection! I'll play around but i feel a new laptop coming on. Happy days!

Edited to add it was the backlight that was the problem.
  15. msr

msr LE

I can offer a good home to the old one.