Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flexible service joe crow.

I'm joe crow, i've done long enough to be trusted to do my job but not long enough to get picked up.
I'm single and being single i live in the block somedays we get heating and hot water at the same time but not often, the QM keeps the heating off as much as he can due to the leccy bill and that he never had heating in his day and it made him the man he is today.
The cook house is run by (incert name of crap company here) i have to eat here as 'fire regs' mean they cut the plugs off all the stuff in the block kitchen.
Flexible service means that i will get dicked for some bodys else stag/falklands tour/shitty gash jobs/and my weekends will be fucked over at no notice ,as for BH PMSL.
i won't be held up as an example of how great it is to work in HMF, because i'm a wasp and besides which i'm sat at BZN off on OP shite hole some where as some one cannot get a babysitter and the reserve has got twisted sock.

I'm joe crow, i've done long enough to be trusted to do my job but not long enough to get picked up.
I'm single and being single i live in the block somedays we get heating and hot water at the same time but not often, the QM keeps the heating off as much as he can due to the leccy bill and that he never had heating in his day and it made him the man he is today.
The cook house is run by (incert name of crap company here) i have to eat here as 'fire regs' mean they cut the plugs off all the stuff in the block kitchen.
Flexible service means that i will get dicked for some bodys else stag/falklands tour/shitty gash jobs/and my weekends will be fucked over at no notice ,as for BH PMSL.
i won't be held up as an example of how great it is to work in HMF, because i'm a wasp and besides which i'm sat at BZN off on OP shite hole some where as some one cannot get a babysitter and the reserve has got twisted sock.
If you can't take a joke.....

the QM keeps the heating off as much as he can due to the leccy bill and that he never had heating in his day and it made him the man he is today.
From April to October the Army used to declare it was summer and everybody would go into shirt sleeve order and the heating in the block would be turned off as it was summer and wouldn't be needed as it was too hot.

Unfortunatly the British weather said "f*ck that, I will decide when it is summer, not some f*cking ancient old LE officer".

Having had enough of playing Arctic survival in the block, I thought "f*ck that" and bought a small portable electric fan heater which I had on most of the time during a typical British summer. You could always spot my room by the hot steam coming out of it. You wouldn't have one in your own house as the electric bill would be horrendous.

But what the f*ck did I care. The QM was paying.

From November to March the Army declared that it was winter and so the heating was on 24 hours a day, so you only needed a sheet on your bed and had to leave a window open as it was too hot.

Last edited:

offog

LE
It's lucky then you only get paid 5 days a week and have to do an 8 hour day other wise you could really have a bitch.

Really funny thing is that my grandfather told me a similar story from when he was with the colours from 14-22. The Army is built on tradition and expecting it to change over years interesting try decades.

Your predecessors wanted pay to dine and got it. Be careful what you wish for.

From April to October the Army used to declare it was summer and everybody would go into shirt sleeve order and the heating in the block would be turned off as it was summer and wouldn't be needed as it was too hot.

Unfortunatly the British weather said "f*ck that, I will decide when it is summer, not some f*cking ancient old LE office".

Having had enough of playing Arctic survival in the block, I thought "f*ck that" and bought a small portable electric fan heater which I had on most of the time during a typical British summer. You could always spot my room by the hot steam coming out of it. You wouldn't have one in your own house as the electric bill would be horrendous.

But what the f*ck did I care. The QM was paying.

From November to March the Army declared that it was winter and so the heating was on 24 hours a day, so you only needed a sheet on your bed and had to leave a window open as it was too hot.
Not just the block. MQs with the radiator valves painted shut. Balmy October days with all the windows open, radiators on full. Frosts and snow flurries in April, stone cold flat. Thank the gods we didn‘t pay for the fuel.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
An oft used phrase when recalling his service with the 101st Surrey Foot and Mouth regiment from my Grandfather, long since turned to dust ( Mons Veteran)

I must ave ad a bleedin bone loose in my napper to av joined this lot

Unfortunatly the British weather said "f*ck that, I will decide when it is summer, not some f*cking ancient old LE officer".

Yes, but those MBEs don't earn themselves you know!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

It's even worse than than. Unless the pay has improved massively, you're an asp not a wasp (The 'w' stands for 'wealthy', not 'white').

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Pace Wikipedia but, black Anglo-Saxons being at a premium, White Anglo Saxon is, by definition, a tautology. WASP stood for 'Wealthy Anglo-Saxon Protestant' - a reference to the ruling elite as opposed to 'White Trash', who were generally skint and not elite in the slightest.

Yes but our QM didn't get his as he was unable to figure out why the camps heating bills were going up when I bought my fan heater.
one camp i worked at the LE LT COL would turn the heating off in shq on thursday night, every thursday night the fire crew on close down checks took the fuse out of his electric fire in his office;)

If you can't take a joke.....
oh yes jokes from my days.
xyz wife has just had thier second child i've split his shifts up amongst the singlies.
i never recommend single lads for promotion the married lads need the cash,
christmas is for familys so you singles lads can work it, a week later you single lads may as well do new years eve theres no bar on camp open and its a cracking night in the families club, and yes they had the neck to ask the off duty lads to baby sit

oh yes jokes from my days.
xyz wife has just had thier second child i've split his shifts up amongst the singlies.
i never recommend single lads for promotion the married lads need the cash,
christmas is for familys so you singles lads can work it, a week later you single lads may as well do new years eve theres no bar on camp open and its a cracking night in the families club, and yes they had the neck to ask the off duty lads to baby sit
That started off as something resembling English...

I was about to say, don't you just love Fridays on Arrse?

Is that you Staff Donald?

My Grandad was WWI-era Irish Guards. When I bounced in to tell him I'd joined up he just said: "Sure. You'll be digging holes for the fekkin English all your life." Which came back to me a few weeks later at Thetford. And every so often ever since.

Latest Threads