Fleece recommendation - Hill/dog walking

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm on the lookout for a new fleece and I am seriously considering the Paramo Tiago, though it does not come cheap at (cheapest I've found) £125. Reviews are good re quality and material, especially the wicking properties. I also like the two chest pockets as the cheap fleece I used on the PW and recently, meant carrying the map whilst gaining access to glasses/phone from the hip pockets was a stop and struggle affair.

The two negatives are its weight and it's not entirely windproof

Paramo.png

So before I spunk off my money getting one, has anyone got one or recommend an alternative?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer

actionman76

Old-Salt
I have the Buffalo Belay Jacket with full zip rather than an over the head type.
Very warm, windproof and shower (ish) proof. Had it since I was issued it in 2008.
No complaints and much better than a fleece.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Full length zip is my preference. I have Gortex jacket which is excellent, so it's a mid layer Jacket that can be worn all year (except for our fabulous summer obviously) and is functional; nothing grips my shit more than needing to stop to get things in/out of pockets.

Another option is a decent soft shell - I've one of these and it is incredibly versatile. Surprising how cold it has to be before you need to think of having more than just a base layer underneath, and if you are doing anything remotely active then it'll keep you warm below freezing - very good in the wet too unless it's absolutely throwing it down for a long time. Looking forward to skiing in it this season.

It's being put through its paces during MRT training and it's superb.

Gamma MX Hoody / Men's / Shell Jackets / Arc'teryx

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Another option is a decent soft shell - I've one of these and it is incredibly versatile. Surprising how cold it has to be before you need to think of having more than just a base layer underneath, and if you are doing anything remotely active then it'll keep you warm below freezing - very good in the wet too unless it's absolutely throwing it down for a long time. Looking forward to skiing in it this season.

It's being put through its paces during MRT training and it's superb.

Gamma MX Hoody / Men's / Shell Jackets / Arc'teryx
At £260 I'd expect it to take the dog for a walk and I'll sit by the fire supping ale! Nice bit of kit though.

the Paramo is a good bit of kit - it might not be technically windproof, but in real-world out and aboutness, the weather has to be pretty shit (lots of wind, and lots of rain/sleet) for it to be necessary to lob something over the top.

that said, its downside is its weight and bulk - you won't notice the weight if you're wearing it, but stick it in a daysack and both become immediately apparent. some people - me included - find it uncomfortably warm if its one layer on top of several. i've worn it next to the skin on hillwalking trips in really shit winter conditions, which is something you can do with all the paramo stuff - try that with a Gore-tex on the other hand and you'll feel like you're wrapped in plastic, which, of course, you are...

if you find the paramo too warm, you'll hate the Buffalo. i've given up wearing it, its just too warm (due perhaps in part to my own layer of insulation...) even in Scotish winter conditions - i take a softie and lob that over if i'm standing around.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
the Paramo is a good bit of kit - it might not be technically windproof, but in real-world out and aboutness, the weather has to be pretty shit (lots of wind, and lots of rain/sleet) for it to be necessary to lob something over the top.

that said, its downside is its weight and bulk - you won't notice the weight if you're wearing it, but stick it in a daysack and both become immediately apparent. some people - me included - find it uncomfortably warm if its one layer on top of several. i've worn it next to the skin on hillwalking trips in really shit winter conditions, which is something you can do with all the paramo stuff - try that with a Gore-tex on the other hand and you'll feel like you're wrapped in plastic, which, of course, you are...

if you find the paramo too warm, you'll hate the Buffalo. i've given up wearing it, its just too warm (due perhaps in part to my own layer of insulation...) even in Scotish winter conditions - i take a softie and lob that over if i'm standing around.
Interesting, thanks. I normally wear only a t-shirt and fleece. In my bag are the Snugpac ML6 softie (Winter/Autumn) and Mountain Equipment waterproof shell. Hence it's an essential bit of kit and the current one is schoite!

Edit - Re the weight, as I'll be wearing it, that wont be an issue and is this not vented on the sides?

Yeah, ok, it's not the cheapest and I really hummed and harred about buying it. The wife was the one who finally snapped and said, "Get a grip and buy that bloody one. It's the one you keep returning too and trying on!".

So glad I did.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Ms Skid2 nicks my snugpak pile thing if it's bad. For really bad winter stuff she throws a Barbour over the top.

Price is OK & it's got functional pockets that tick the boxes. How windproof is it?
Extremely - check out some reviews.

One other thing I really like about it, is you can move easily in it. Scrambling and climbing, for instance, often finds a jacket riding up when you stretch or reach above you - this doesn't at all - it articulates well and the cut has a slightly longer back to stop your arse getting cold if you're bending over.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Extremely - check out some reviews.

One other thing I really like about it, is you can move easily in it. Scrambling and climbing, for instance, often finds a jacket riding up when you stretch or reach above you - this doesn't at all - it articulates well and the cut has a slightly longer back to stop your arse getting cold if you're bending over.
Thanks for that, now in the 'choosing' basket

Latest Threads