Flattest place to live in GB.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Compared to Scotland, perhaps Caithness is flattish, out in the flow country (once you get out of Berriedale), but Thurso town is never flat? OK, you'll never see it as a setting in a Hovis ad, but it's not flat. Dull... but not flat.
Well to be more specific, the land out towards the nuclear plant. Flat as a pancake. Free heating too. :D

If it is the place I'm thinking of - by the first roundabout - it had massive picture windows overlooking the road, the extractors from the Chinese takeaway, the harbour wall railing and the wall of grey that was the constantly misty sea loch. Everything else was 1970s brown painted wallboards and Gordon tartan curtains...

That place was pretty high ticket, three star compared to places in Ayr, Girvan, Elgin, Alness...
No, I think you're thinking of one of the big hotels for the Shearings coach tour pensioner set.

The place I'm talking about was along the High Street. It may have been a small hotel at one time in it's life, but it had evolved into this themed restaurant. All cock-a-leekie soup and accordion band. Think White Heather Club and then quadruple it. So bad that you wouldn't be able to draw yourself away from it.

I think they had to completely rebuild the site after the fire. It's probably a pizza place or a camping and climbing equipment shop now. That's all there f*cking is in Fort William anymore.

Milton Keynes is extremely flat. Good road network too from what I recall. And more green per person than any other city apparently (at least it was ten years ago).
Mk city, twinned with Telford in Shropshire, boring, bland, featureless, with row upon row of little rabbit hutch boxes, called houses, where 2.4 children P/Household evolve from snotty nosed brats to foul mouthed chavs, Its where the Stepford wives format originated, allegedly, its where elephants go to die, vultures refuse to hover overhead, to be avoided, like Croydon, or parts of Birmingham, its where the northern sewage system meets the southern criminal element. secret files reveal that UK government have given permission to the USA to test all new bomber carried ordnance on MK city, and the Russians and north Korea will shortly be testing new NBC formulas there, all with government, and Porton Down approval,....... and that's just its good points!

Last edited:
North Lincolnshire, so flat it borders on tedious. MASSIVE selection of bungalows and some excellent shooting clubs too
Jebus, I know some of you ‘orrible fùckers want rid of me, but that’s just nasty.

Although Woodhall Spa does have the former Officer’s Mess of the Dambusters.

So unpopulated it beats Norfolk, he wants to live not hide.

Not the cheapest place on Earth but York is pretty flat and gets high marks in several on line accessibility surveys.
York sits on a glacial moraine, thus has a few bits less-than-wheelchair-friendly, but it has more than enough pubs to satisfy. Micklegate, however, has a marked slope down to the river, so it might be best avoided late-on.

No, I think you're thinking of one of the big hotels for the Shearings coach tour pensioner set.

The place I'm talking about was along the High Street. It may have been a small hotel at one time in it's life, but it had evolved into this themed restaurant. All cock-a-leekie soup and accordion band. Think White Heather Club and then quadruple it. So bad that you wouldn't be able to draw yourself away from it.

I think they had to completely rebuild the site after the fire. It's probably a pizza place or a camping and climbing equipment shop now. That's all there f*cking is in Fort William anymore.

God those 'hotels' for the coach parties. Know them - first 2 miles as you go in from Ballachulish end
- stiff with them
Having piqued my interest - and also to check how faulty my memory was I had a quick neb on Google Maps
Think it has been bulldozed - and is now new flats. The souvenir centre next door is now yet another oriental restaurant

Jebus, I know some of you ‘orrible fùckers want rid of me, but that’s just nasty.

Although Woodhall Spa does have the former Officer’s Mess of the Dambusters.
Woodhall is a really nice place, a little gem of tranquil beauty surrounded by boring but flat Fenland. Great houses, lots of local shops, pubs, Kinema in the Woods, lido and yes, the old Mess from 617, now a very nice hotel.

You’d have to put up with retired Crabs like me though!

If Weymouth has become like practically every other town in the UK, a pub crawl would consist of walking to and fro between the saloon bar and the public bar of the sole remaining boozer.
I haven't been for a couple of years but there were plenty of pubs including 2 Weatherspoons