Flats named in Red Caps honour

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Aug 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Local Developers and Local Council recognise RMP killed in Iraq.....

A housing development in Derbyshire will be named in honour of a soldier killed in Iraq, the developers say.
    A new block of flats in Swadlincote will be dedicated to the memory of Corporal Russell Aston who died in an ambush in 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/6969935.stm

Its good to see that some people do recognise the sacrafices that are being made.

2. Kudos to Mainstream Properties and South Derbyshire District Council.

3. Excellant! Russ was good mate of mine, glad to see there will be something permanent to remember him by.

Thank you Mainstream Properties and South Derbyshire District Council.

4. Well done those involved, much better than Nelson Mandela way. May his family and friends walk down that road with pride (aswel as the rest of us)

5. Fantastic. I think Liverpool City Council has alot to answer for with all the new developments going on for 2008 they could have made a similar gesture. Not so much as a name on a plaque.

6. well done to the firm aleast there are still people who care about are about the sacrifces made by our service personnel

7. Good.

Here's hoping for more recognition for the others

8. Well done. Nice to see there are still one or two people out there that care about the memory of the fallen.

9. Thats great news, lets hope other councils do the same in recognition of the sacrifices made by our armed forces, isnt it a shame that central govt dont care or want to know

10. Nice one, Block of Flats for Russ on top of Bridgend naming a road, Maer Dewi Pritchard, after Cpl Dewi Pritchard RMP(V) in 2005 maybe a few more councils should follow their lead.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. More Council's should take note of all this, rather than naming roads and flats after irrelevant tossers. Well done Derbyshire.

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Champion! I hope the residents realise where they are living is named after a TRUE hero rather that David Beckham Place or the like!
    Should be more!!

14. Well done Mainstream and South Derbyshire Council. I didn't know about the road named after Dewi. Gone but not forgotten.

15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Great news. Maybe, just maybe, (after 30 odd years of hiding ourselves from PIRA) that the great British public is finally starting to remember that there they have an Armed Forces, and recognising the sacrifices that we make. It will be some time before we are treated the same way as US servicemen and veterans, but its a start.