Flat while serving

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by geordiejake20, May 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks not sure if this is the right place to post this. But i have my own flat which i dont really want to give up once i start phase one becouse i would need it for leave etc. So im wondering where i would stand running it and living on barracks. How much money do you have left roughly once your rent tax ni food etc has been taken out of your wages for living on barracks. and can you even have a civvy flat once your in checked with my local council they said it was fine but aint a clue if its ok with the army. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Of course you are allowed to maintain your own property when you are serving - you don't lose (most) rights just because you are in the Forces. I take it that it is a Local Authority flat? As to cash - can't help there 'cos I'm minted.

3. yeah local council

4. I bet the local authority won't let you keep it if it's not your full time home.

5. Agreed, this not the purpose of local auth. housing, its for people in need..Somalian/Romanian/Chav single mums pumping out 4lb+ of humanity via their clunge with no means of support..suck it up M8..and when you come out after 8/12/22 yrs. the council will laugh at you as you bed down for the night in whatever doorway..

• Like Like x 1
  6. spoke to me council they said its fine to keep it running as long as i show them my start date letter for proof im actually joining and some one pops in from time to time to keep an eye on it.

7. are you renting? If so check your agreement. Some tenancy agreements dont allow 30 (or is it 60) days empty. And you wont be able to sub let it either, i would imagine.

8. Mag to grid it.

Put the money you would have spent on its rent in to a savings account, and in a few years when you get out you'll have enough to put down on your own house... which you can then rent out to further pay off your mortgage.

What if you end up in Germany? You will be paying for a house that is fcuking empty....

9. yeah i know i could be posted abroad then it would stand empty but i need somewhere to stay when i leave the army all me mates/family are crowded with kids etc. Do any of you think its affordable considering i will be paying for barracks aswell

10. I would say get rid of it, by the time you have paid rent, council tax etc on that + food and accomodation you are not going to be left with a lot. Why not set up a savings account and set up a direct debit transfer into it for all or part of what you would spend in rent, which can go towards buying your own place.

11. So, you know there are cowded houses around and you want to keep an empty one? I still bet the council/local authority won't let you keep it despite what you think they just said. If you do try to keep this flat then I hope you get squatters. Squatters of the messy, druggie, prossie type.

12. You wont be leaving the Army for about 3 years... unless you are naughty.

If you mean on leave from the army, you'll get 6 weeks a year. It would probalby be cheapper to rent a room in a B&B for the time you are at home, than keep a flat.

13. i wouldnt mind staying in a b and b on leave like. What im planning for is when i leave the army. So i know i will have somewhere to live. And not end up a squatter in a empty house.

14. You'll probably get something from care in the community.

15. ill have a look in to that cheers for the help everyone