Flat screen TV, LCD or plasma?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Ord_Sgt, Mar 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

OK I'm about to get myself a flat screen TV but don't know which way to go. I've heard plasmas have better colour definition but use a lot more power so LCD would be the way to go.

Anybody got any experience/suggestions?

2. Plasma are the better TV's without a doubt. BUT....

The little Logo that appears on many Sat TV stations can (apparently) burn itself onto the screen after a while.
    If you are serving and move house a lot, Plasma TV can be damaged by tilting them.
    Plasma TVs have a more limited life before the gas needs replacing.
    Plasma costs more to buy and run.

BUT....

They look way cooler and have a better picture viewing angle range!
    They can be bigger (I've heard of a new one thats 100(ish) inches!!!

3. I'm going to have to disagree with Legs here......

LCD is far superior to Plasma.
    You can get 'burn in' on plasmas after as little as a month.
    The resolution (picture quality) is vastly superior on LCD.
    Look cooler?????
    The only downside is that you'll pay slightly more for an equivalent sized LCD when compared to Plasma.

Buy an LCD - you know you want to.

TTFN

BFG

4. Very true!!!! And if one of those pixels burn out then watching it is more irritating than a triplet pram being pushed through a narrow aisle in morrisons on a Saturday morning!!!

5. I'm no expert - they're just my views. BTW, I went for LCD!! (Humax 36 inch. Single analogue tuner, twin Digital tuners, hard drive recorder, HD ready - nice TV :) )

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've found LCD to cost more than plasma (about 1/3 more) for the same size. There seems to be so much choice but the people in the shops don't have a clue either.

I like the picture quality on the Sony LCDs that I've looked at and price is resonable too. I just want to be sure I don't go out and spend a fortune on the "wrong technology".

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Just looked up that TV on the net and it indeed does look like a nice TV. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

8. From SSVC Germany (robbing B@rstards!) it cost €1700. I don't know how much in UK. It is also set up to be a PC monitor. Games would look SOOOO cool!

9. Can anyone recommend a good 28" LCD with integrated digital etc then? My very expensive widescreen digital has just died horribly, a month after the five year warranty expired and a TV engineer advised me that it would be cheaper to replace than repair. It is now in a skip. He also advised me never to buy a TV from the same manufacturer again - 8 letters starting with a P, as they have in his opinion a far too high failure rate.

Any recommendations?

10. im just about to buy a samsung 26" high def, high def LCD screens are better than plasma and normal analogue TVs.
    all of samsungs LCDs from 23" and above are all HD Ready.

www.play.com is the way to go for cheap things.

11. It depends firstly on which picture you like, then where you will use it, ambient light and so on. Then what you want to watch. If you like lots of sport or action movies, for instance, then Plasma should be the way to go as LCDTVs can get a bit behind with a response time typically of 8 ms however I know many poeple who do not notice this.

Modern plasma TVs can suffer from burn in however have developed to the extent that you have to have the same image in the same spot and the set on for weeks before it happens. They have software built into them which is supposed to sort it out.

Power requirements are similar. As for resolution, modern LCDTVs can have slightly higher resolution but remember that a normal TV has a very low resolution and is fine. The resolution of the average TV signal or DVD for instance is well behind what these things are capable of showing, plasma or LCD.

Most plasmas now are guaranteed for 60,000 hours or more which means, for the average household, they are good for several years.

What should dictate your choice really boils down to which picture you like as they are slightly different. I like the plasma, as to me, it has a richer feel to it; some prefer LCDTV. Just make sure you read the specifications carefully (but take with a pinch of salt), buy from a manufacturer you have heard of and don't believe all the hype. Any at bargain price will be older models or the screens will not be so good. There are only a few factories producing LCDTV panels so you may find that the brands are using the same panels but packaged differently.

For the future, most smart money is on LCDTVs as they have much more development potential than Plasmas, which are seen by many in the field to have reached maturity, and screen production costs are coming down steadily for both types.

12. +
    Go for a bigger LCD than CRT, as the case size is much smaller that the CRT. The one I mentioned above takes up less space than the 28" CRT I used to have.

13. Samsung, 26" is only £650. HD Ready, with Freeview tuner, wall mountable, s-video, pc input etc.
    http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=705871

Samsung 32" HD ready, specs are on the page, £850
    http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=742345

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

15. last month I purchased a 30" Conrac LCD from Dabs.com for £500 - they are now £460.

It is not HD Ready as although it has a DVI input and a resolution of 1280x768 it is not HDCP (the encryption bit) compatible. I don't care though as my 28" widescreen CRT blew and I needed a replacement. It does not have a digital tuner just an analogue one but a £30 freeview tuner via the Scart socket does the job.

PC and Xbox 360 games look great which lets face it is what matters more when you get back from the pub.

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3TLW&CategorySelectedId=11038&InMerch=1