Flat Pack Housing

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by hurrahfortheRE, Oct 7, 2007.

?
  1. YES

49.2%
  2. NO

28.0%
  3. MAYBE

22.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ikea have launched a new flat pack house for first time buyers.

Flat Pack Houses

nice or not nice?

2. America has loads of wooden houses, Brick built is fairly rare outside of the major cities, if you look after them they can last years, they can be quicker to build and modify later on, you can even lift the whole thing on trailers and move it to another location as they already do in USA.

the big issue will be Fire risk protection and insurance.

3. Deleted, it was wibble

4. Lets hope the European version of these "cheap houses" stay standing a bit longer than their American cousins.

Only the yanks are stupid enough to build entire towns out of wood and "tarted" up trailers in known areas of crazy weather and then wonder :? why they all get blown away.

5. A solution to Britains unaffordable housing? Its not really that much cheaper. I have lived in wooden houses in Canada with temp ranging from 50 to -50 degrees C so know that they can work very well. Not convinced that this is the solution though.

"the company said it expects to sell three-bedroom houses, even in south east England, at less than £150,000."

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices.htm?location=gateshead
    "No of Three bedrooms 1,804 Average Price £176,631 Median Price £159,950"

6. Another crack-pot idea that some think will single-handedly solve the housing crisis :roll: People could afford housing if the market hadn't grown out of control due to unscrupulous lenders giving out massive mortgages based on exaggerated lies of what people actually earned. House prices only went through the roof because the whole market was built upon lies and now it's going to come back and bite those that have tried to exploit it such as "buy to let" who are borrowing right on the limit :roll:

Also, the solution to Britain's overcrowding is not to keep building houses everywhere (even flat-pack ones!)- There's nowhere left! :x but for us to remove all those who have no right to live here and stop all immigration for at least 5 years to allow us to get control of the situation and find out who's actually here - because Labour really don't know :roll:

7. :? Had prefabs, they lasted a long time after WW2, soon know if the flat pack is any good for U.K. good if it gets people into their own house, so get your allen keys here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. You could do better getting a real Swedish house from somewhere like
    http://www.swedishhouses.com/ probably for about the same money. A friend has something similar in Belgium and told me that the wood used is dried for 30 years and presents no increased fire risk than a normal construction and his insurance costs the same a brick/stone house. The problems are the same as any new house, namely land purchase,planning permission and getting it connected to water,sewage and gas/power.

9. Not all flat-pack houses are created equal. Friends of mine in Holland own a Huf-haus www.huf-haus.com and its fabulous.
    The kits are manufactured in a hermetically sealed factory which resembles a modern car-plant more than a timber workshop, and they're assembled on site by the companys own craftsmen.
    Bricks and plaster (fired mud and wet mud) are prehistoric building solutions. The tolerances are shocking and the snag lists on new houses are enormous.
    Frankly, I'd rather have my house manufactured to the standard of a German automobile. Our building techniques are archaic and produce wobbly boxes without a flat wall or true line in sight.

10. 70% of houses produced in Finland these days are so called flat packs.
    We have very stringent controls on the buildings here, build to the conditions, ie winters that can get to -40c,, the outer walls have 20cm wool or rockwool insulation, windows are triple glazed, 40cm insulation in the loft, foundations are usually breezeblock or concrete, 50cm above ground level, with a damp-proofcourse. energy efficient is a byword here. if it wasn't bo one could afford the rising energy costs.
    The choices are out of this world, from the basic shoe box to a manor house, choices are always available, but in flat packs it is timber frame, with either timber cladding of a brick facing, the brick is purely decorational, no any part of the structure.
    The reason for timber frame, well ever seen an arial picture of this green and pleasant land? you build with the materials available, a well built timber frame can last a hundered years.
    Any of you wish to try it, it's worth the effort, a lot more affordable than you can imagine

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why buy from Ikea when you can simply pop down to your local superstore and get them for free? I see people every day who live in such houses, and they don't have to pay out a small fortune for them.

Just a thought.

12. Oh yes indeedee! Before I gave my house away to a needy charity (fcuking bitch!) I decorated the bathroom walls (wait - that doesn't sound right :twisted: ). Not a level wall, square wall, 90 degree angle at corners or flat roof to be had. TBH first time I had done it and was absolutely gobsmacked at the lack of workmanship. I drive an Audi so I concur with your comments.

13. I can't get over the prices, 150K plus! I recently helped build a mates house from scratch, we built it using premium materiels etc and it came in at 78K including land. The building industry is a rip off. I work in telecom engineering and have seen one contractor charge 22 times the cost of the lowest bidder. Costs can vary between £20 and £250 a metre dug trenches alone. Don't get me started on wastage either...grr

14. Apparently, there is a whole village of demo-houses of this wooden construction down near Stuttgart with all the major manufacturers present(Austrian and German anyway). My friend in Belgium paid 120,000 pounds or punts(he is of belgian/irish origin so not sure of the currency) for 900 sq meters of land and a huge 4 bedroomed house with garage and office back in 1999.Probably worth a maximum of 50% more by now.Interestingly he has electric heating because he needs it for 2 months a year max. and the lower installation costs were the deciding factor compared with other systems.

15. The next generation of FMQs? :twisted:

It's not the cost of building a house that is crippling (although that may change once all the brickies and labourers head to London to board the Olympic gravy train), it's the value of the land. Land is used as an investment and commodity.