Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Skullda-bash, May 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive heard a lot of rumours that people who have got flat feet cannot join the army is this true? If so is it true with the other forces too?
  2. Depends how flat. Go along for a medical and find out.
  3. ive heard that it will affect marching but i cant see how it would? they caused me no problems in the past i dont see why they would in the army.
  4. I know of 3 who failed due to flat feet and 1 who only got picked up at Chilwell! This individual was discharged due to the condition.
  5. I had it when younger, improved but still technically suffer. The medical never bothered me about it - can make marching a bit more painfull as prone to shinsplints, but grin and bear it out. Getting some insoles such as sorbothanes and the issue graters can assist a bit, can you can get some arch supports made up for your boots too.

Would be amusing if I ever get sent through Chillwell and get discharged for them, well actually it'd be bloody annoying.

Just apply and see what happens.
  6. Do you think i could explain to the recruiter that my feet may only be wide and not flat and will cause no problems at all?
  7. All very well, but what happens if you get to the 'Stan or whereever and need new arch supports? By your own admission it makes marching painful, have you ever spent weeks on your feet, I have which is why they need to be A1. This does not mean you unworthy of the uniform, but..just because your condition was not picked up at the medical, does not mean you can't be discharged for it, remember the forms clearly state that you are to "declare all medical conditions". If you didnt then you made that choice. Should you be caught out and discharged there is only one person to blame...
  8. Untreated flat feet can cause problems with the biomechanics of the body, seriously flat feet cause your ankles to be at the wrong angle, this in turn throws out your knees, hips, back and neck.

This all depends on the severity, the activities undertaken and how long it goes untreated. Each case can only be assessed individually.
  9. This is all very confusing. We now have two topics about flat feet in two different forums. I'm very perplexed??!?
  10. Granted it didn't actually come to mind at the medical, some other issues were more on my mind which the doc cleared me for anyway. Hadn't suffered for a while with them, whether I get splints due to having them before or cause I've got spannered legs, bad gait, whatever I dunno. Nope not been in my boots running around in the field inf like constantly for more than about 5 days, discounting CMS(R). Camps tend to be comms based mostly in the back of a rover, so I can't say how it would turn out if I were mobilised simply as I can't predict what role I would be doing.

Recruiter wise - don't bother them too much with it, talk about it with the Doc when you go for a medical instead.
  11. Culd i get some info on the severity of your flat feet and how to bloody cure em?
  12. Like I said, they've not bothered me for ages thanks to the docs giving me mong shoes when I was kid. Lol, actually they were any normal shoe you like from Clarkes etc then just hoy some support arches from. Far as I'm concerned now they're normal.

Go to the doc, ask their opinion, simple. I you don't get in just join the raf and let jet engines take you places instead.
  13. It depends what kind of flat feet you have as to whether or not it will be an issue. Formerly, you were not allowed to join with any kind of flat feet but now you are only barred if your feet are 'spasticated' (seriously). This means that not only are they flat but they are rigid also.

If your feet are merely flat, but still flexible, that should not be too serious a problem. However, a flat foot disapates force less effeciently than a nice, arched instep so I would recommend sorbothane shock absorbers. The army may or may not make special insteps for you, I have found these very useful.
  14. I wasn't born with flat feet. Now my feet are flat due to my arches continually dropping when I was in the Regs, managed to build them up the first couple of times but then they stayed down. As a result of my flat feet I have terrible knee pain as I over pronate, causing my ankles to move differently which in turn twists my knees making my kneecaps run off centre. I have special insoles which cost me a fortune but as soon as you take them out or use diiferent footwear you loose the benefit. If I was on tour and needed new insoles I would just have to grin and bear it but I could still do my job. (In my dotage I have accepted that I am no longer tough enough to do a teeth arm job, but there is still life in the old horse yet in a less warlike role.That's why I went Signals when becoming a stab to reduce the amount of running around I needed to do!)
  15. Agreed. My feet aren't flat but are wide, and I was worred before my medical that they would be classed as flat, since the arch is ever so minimal. The doctor looked at them then asked me to stand on tiptoes proving that my foot was flexible and could arch effectively.

I use insoles with arch support, they cost me about £21 but I have 2 sets, which are always in my boots. Great piece of kit, even if you don't have flat feet they make walking a hell of a lot more comfortable.