Flat caps or Berets

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Holdfast, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a rant from an old f4rt, I have just been onto the RE website and whilst looking at the Sapper mag pages I saw a picture of someone in 59 with one of those stupid flat cap looking berets. Is this still the norm in 9 and 59 or is it spreading through the rest of the Corps? Or is it being eradicated\tolerated :? ?

2. Still allowed as far as I'm aware and tolerated throughout most of RE.

3. It's better than having your capbadge between your eyes and having a chinook landing pad for a beret. No, I'm not para or commando trained, I just hate WW2 looking berets.

4. And you actually think they look better like that?

Granted I didn't wear mine as standard, more than likely the cap badge was nearer my left ear than my left eye, but at least it looked decent.

5. I think its however you feel comfortable really plus it never really seems to be that much of a issue!

6. No, I don't think they look that good. What grips my shi'ite is the way the sprogs at Chatham who have just passed P Coy or AACC have hard core flatcap berets and strut around like the dogs busters when if they did that back at their respective sqns they would be filled in. Have a word with yourselves sprogs!

7. Pulling up a sandbag, It would've been an issue in my troop. No one would've got away with it, but that was back then.

Personal opinion, makes the wearer look like a complete prat (insert expletive as desired) :lol:

8. Flat cap after P coy and then when u get wings you grow up a change to slight lookin flat cap

9. But why?

Or is it that you've now got a cr4p hat as well? :lol: :p

10. FULLY TO THE RIGHT, FULLY TO THE REAR THAT'S THE WAY FOR THE ENGINEER.

they were feckin huge with the old cloth banded berets, were they not :?: :?: :?: :?:

11. I think the way the tankies shape their berets with the capbadge between the eyes and the rest of the material back so it looks like a flat cap. Bloody terrible.

12. Pithe helmets were best, a bugg3r to shape though 8)

13. Didn't do mine like that. :p

14. So what is the correct why then?

As far as I am aware, Regs only state that the badge must be over the left eye, it does not say how the rest should be shapped or buggered with.

15. And there was a reason for doing it that way.