Flashman: Which actor would be best at it ?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Scabbers, Apr 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had the pleasure of watching the latest series of adverts for “Bombardier” Beer starring Rik Mayall. You Tube. Simply type in - Bombardier Rik Mayall.

To be fair, they are a bit of a hoot in fact one is over 3 minutes long, but I thought I was viewing Lord Flasheart’s Grandad.

So, it got me thinking. Who in the thesp world to do justice to George MacDonald-Fraser’s creation. I mean they’re all bit, well, modern and tame nowadays. Who would burst through the PC bollocks and give us a great bit of viewing ? That MacDowell chap did a reasonably good job in "Royal Flash" some years back against and equally creative baddie, the one and only Ollie Reed (Rest easy mate – former RAMC lad y’know).

Rik is bit old for it now, but if we’re going to re-create the whole series, then he's dead right for the job later on a Lt Col, Col etc. But not right off, that needs a younger type. (Sorry Rik if you’re reading this, your agent will understand).

For a start, Flashie has to be a bit on the large side as he is well over 6 foot, so my choice of David Tennant is probably way off the mark, though I’m certain he could act up a storm in the character.

But who wouldn't be a Flashman ? That tit from 'the office' who is as funny as bowel cancer or Russell Brand.

Over to you, ARSSERs, name the new Flashman and hope to buggery some hack reads it and mentions it to a thesp mate.

2. Rikkie Gervais?

3. Antony Stwert head from buffy, or the fella that play the bad vampire, that turned good, then bad then knobbed buffy. But not the geeky one that did that.

4. Johhny Depp would make a good Flashman I reckon

• Like Like x 2
  5. Agreed - he could overact that perfectly ...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Simon Pegg?

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

8. Didn't Rupert Penry-Jones do some of audiobooks? I think with the right whiskers his face would fit, if you don't mind the fact that he's fair whereas Flashman is supposed to be quite swarthy. It all depends on the book; one often forgets that Flashy is supposed to be very young during many of his escapades; he's twenty-three during the First Sikh War, for example.

9. Yeah, that's the guy... the spiky blonde haird chap.

What about the guy who plays Doctor Cox in Scrubs? Or the janitor.

10. Mark Strong.

Give him a wig and some whiskers and he would be perfect.

Obnoxious and funny simultaneously.

11. Rik Mayall or Nigel Havers for an older Flashy. Younger is more difficult. Michael Fassbender maybe?

12. It would have to be an old school actor, who could play dead straight hero, and poltroon depending on where we see him. Jack Hawkins, Alec Guiness type, Michael Caine in his younger days. Possibly Hugh Laurie.

13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Why not? he's in everything else...