flashing a stove pipe down

Discussion in 'DIY' started by TheIronDuke, Jul 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Wassname The Bird has just bought a wood burner without consulting me. It is a lovely French art nouveau job from the 1930's. With a 3.5" flu outlet. Modern flu pipe starts at 4". Any idea how to fash a 3.5" pipe into a 4" pipe without poisoning everybody with carbon monoxide or murdering The Bird for buying fFrench antiques? Lead will not work because it will melt and asbestos tends to kill people.

Any sensible advice welcome.

2. Would a few beads of fire clay help?

3. TheIronDuke

Dunno. Can they summon the dead or tell me what is going to win the 3.45 at Kempton Park? I know what fire clay is but I need a rock solid joint between the flue on the wood burner and the flu going through the wall. So fire clay is maybe not the solution? But cheers for the suggestion.

4. Consult a tinsmith? Or some other form of sheetmetal worker?

5. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

6. Combination of fire clay, then wrap flue in bitument lined flashing tape (it will melt but it will also seap into fire clay thus rendering fire and perhaps more importantly waterproof seal) with full application of joiner fluid worked for me. Botch job but has worked on full use wood burner for last 2 years, no water in and no fire out. But rather depends which bits one it trying to seal!

7. Gun Gum bandage and putty, about £7-8 the pair at Halfords
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Flexible ceramic seal ( by the meter or roll ) can be coiled and tapped into the gap giving a smoke tight but flexible seal.

9. I tried Gun Gum, burned away in no time, dried out and left non-waterproof seal, then went to fire clay and bitumen flashing tape, 2 years in working well!

10. TheIronDuke

Sounds like a plan. The 3.5" pipe comes out of the back of the stove so the joint needs to look half way decent. Then it will go into a 4" pipe up the wall and outdoors at the top. I can angle the outlet so water should not be a problem.

Gun Gum is the result of Satan shagging Halfords. It is crap.

11. Good luck, if I can be arrsed I will take a photo tomorrow of how mine looks!

12. As much as it pains me to be sensible, I'd really advise calling a proper HETAS approved stove installer in. For the sake of saving a few shillings it's really not worth you and your family ending up like pit canaries.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  13. A little bedtime reading: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_J_2010_V2.pdf

I've only glanced at it but I suspect that you may require a 125mm, a 150mm or perhaps even a 175mm flue, making the jointing yet more complex. And it looks as though you need a certificate from a competent installer...

Have you considered putting the thing in the garden and renaming it "chimenea"?

• Like Like x 2
  14. I used a HETAS chap, no problems, no concerns, reasonably priced. I know my limitations and would rather pay and feel reassured.

• Like Like x 4