Flash new uniforms for Russias Armed Forces

A couture collection of new military uniforms has been shown to President Putin by Valentin Yudashkin, the country’s famous clothing designer, at a fashion parade in the Defence Ministry headquarters.

The uniforms will get their first public display in Red Square on May 9 in a parade marking the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany in the Second World War

Fashion commentators said that the uniforms revived some of the glamour of Russia’s imperial tradition in combination with its recent Soviet history. Izvestia newspaper said that the designs recalled the Hussar style of 19th-century Russia.

The defence ministry spent £2 million to commission the designs of new uniforms for the army, navy and air force. Full-scale production is expected to begin this year, at an estimated cost of about £300 million.
In full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3272873.ece

Hello armchair_jihad,

for those who are not familiar with Valentin Yudashkin,he is Russia's answer to Austin Powers.

tangosix.

tangosix said:
Hello armchair_jihad,

for those who are not familiar with Valentin Yudashkin,he is Russia's answer to Austin Powers.

tangosix.
Oh Grooovy babeeeski !

We were very skeptic, but I heard yesterday that the new uniform is very good. Yudashkin designed it according to specifications provided by Heraldic department, and Research institute of Ministry of Defence. I always thought that SSO (private firm) would win this contract because their battlefield uniform was very good (Gorka was most popular) and many soldiers bought it for deployments.

Most focus on TV and newspapers was given to officer uniform, but regular field uniform is what interested me most. Rumour is Army field uniform is also excellent and comfortable, consisting of several components. New camouflage pattern is similar to German Bundeswehr's. I hope it will show itself comfortable and reliable during deployments, this concerns especially boots and stitches. Laboratory and field testing is one thing, but heavy use in hostile environment is different.

Sova-4 said:
We were very skeptic, but I heard yesterday that the new uniform is very good. Yudashkin designed it according to specifications provided by Heraldic department, and Research institute of Ministry of Defence. I always thought that SSO (private firm) would win this contract because their battlefield uniform was very good (Gorka was most popular) and many soldiers bought it for deployments.

Most focus on TV and newspapers was given to officer uniform, but regular field uniform is what interested me most. Rumour is Army field uniform is also excellent and comfortable, consisting of several components. New camouflage pattern is similar to German Bundeswehr's. I hope it will show itself comfortable and reliable during deployments, this concerns especially boots and stitches. Laboratory and field testing is one thing, but heavy use in hostile environment is different.
There seems to be a Germanic trend in the look of Russia's armed forces. At the Beslan action a few years ago, there were units wearing something that very closely resembled ww2 SS camouflage.

This is what I could find now.

This is for mountain warfare units

This last photo I guess is new uniform for special reconnaisance units because I heard that even if they will be acquiring new uniforms, there are other things currently in development for their specific requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
msr Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
I The Intelligence Cell 0