Flash: 18/7 2220hZ - explosion manhattan

Apparently it's not thought to be terrorist related at this point
(by police on the ground there)

Reuters are saying its just a transformer explosion, nothing to get excited about

www.reuters.com

Local Staten Island Media say:

A transformer explosion at 41st and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan sparked a scare this evening as police cordoned off several blocks.

Fire and emergency crews responded to the scene where they suspect a manhole explosion was the cause of major distress during the evening rush hour, officials said. It is not terrorism-related, the officials said.

Smoke was seen billowing above the east side of Manhattan, and several blocks were evacuated.

--Advance staff and Associated Press reports

Stand dow, stand down!

Erus_Micoviscus said:
Krazy_Ivan said:
Reuters are saying its just a transformer explosion, nothing to get excited about

www.reuters.com

Having just seen Mt St Helens in the middle of the street in Manhatten, I would suggest being excited would be a good word to use. 8O

You think steam leaping into the air 1000' is normal???
Good point - typical British tendency to understate.

Not the alligators!? No, surely not (are they from Hill street (as in blues??)).

From what I've heard, it was a steam explosion, not related to terrorism. All the government ratcheting up fear with the latest security report and Micheal Chertoff feeling another Al Qaeda attack in his gut, I'm not surprised at the panic in the aftermath but it is not another attack. Not that we are any safer in the states, but this heightened alert seems all designed at manipulating the 2008 election. Carry about business as usual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
msr Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
I The Intelligence Cell 0