Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wells598, Oct 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone remember the name of the ground illuminating flares??
  2. fiddly ******* face burners irrc
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Erm Flare, ground illuminating for the use of?
  4. So, they're not coming back then. I'm disappointed.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Schermuly?
  6. i thought there name began with a c. was just interested to know as was talking to a mate earlier
  7. Theses them
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WAH shield up

Trip Flares

Wah shield down
  9. sorry didn't see your post, that was them thanks mate
  10. Schermuly was the illumination round simulator for the 51mm mortar.

Although now it is pretty much used as an illumination.

That would illuminate the ground when fired...

Or the trip flare.

Schermulys were so called after William Schermuly. A chap who designed lots of things that went bang and whizz, despite practically no formal edumacation. He was a seaman, then a fireman, a cable guy and a dock yard policeman...

As things used to go, he saw a need (senseless waste of life in maritime disaster) and decided to do something about it. From cannon balls that pulled ropes out to floundering seamen (not sure I'd want to be rescued like that!) to flares and rockets.

He was pretty much revved off until wworld war 1, when Canadians used his rockets to haul telephone lines and messages from trench to trench. Even a grappling hook rocket to pull barbed wire out of the way.

His dream (at the time) was to devise a flare that even a child could use. And he invented what was basically a modern day Schermuly... he tested it on his grandson who was in single figure years of age at the time, and was later a Para (I think he dropped on Arnhem), the Schermulys were British but of Cloggie origiin and spoke Dutch at home.

Just a terse verse.
  11. Tripflares. Scermulies and pencil flares.
  12. What he said.
  13. Flare spotter
  14. trip flares?