Flameless, lightweight Heatstick boils water on the move

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CptDanjou, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No smoke or odour as I can see so could be good , bloody expensive if you have to buy your own ...

2. It will never catch on for 2 reasons .

1) They have 30 years stock of hexi to use up
    2 ) It doesn't make your mess tins dirty

Good God man , you'll be wanting to get rid of bed blocks , floor bumpers and puttees next .
    • Like Like x 4
  3. But will it remove your eyebrows for you when you ignite it?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. how many times can you use it?
  5. 200 odd notes seems to be a bit fcuking steep!!!
  6. Looks like 50p-£1 for each litre heated, depending on conditions.
  7. Interesting technology. Hard to say definitively without inspecting one physically, but I think it is based on the catalytic oxidation of methane. The clue is here:

Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters?

Attached Files:

8. Read the pdf , simples eh? I think the only issue with this is price , give it a year and someone else will rip it off and do it for half price .
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Their own website says it uses "gas and oxygen". The gas is going to be in a pressurised canister, hence my rhetorical question "Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters?"

Also, see their Fuel Stick product:

Probably contains propane.

Assuming it gets the interest of MoD Abbey Wood, why would soldiers have to pay for it? Wouldn't procurement be done transparent to soldier spending, or is there some personal discretion in what COTS equipment soldiers buy for themselves?

Personally I think these heat sticks have problems with the type of food you can heat (only liquids), cost (compared to hexamine burners!) and compressed gas canisters.
  10. Come on, it isn't that expensive that your average squaddie can't afford it, he'll quite happily spend 200 notes on a pair of Titanium Oakleys, this is just another piece of shiny kit that they will buy if they want it. Th MoD is too skint to be buying this sort of thing when they already have kit that does the job, and lets face it if the MoD did supply them they would soon be "lost" and claimed on personal kit insurance, yer thieving bastards :)

Sent via Tapatalk HD
  11. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Is that any different to carrying around a regular gas cooking system like a jetboil?
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

How would losing a consumable be an item you can claim for?
  13. Is carrying compressed gas around and more or less dangerous than carrying high explosives, and propellant around?
  14. Speaking theoretically as a scientist:

PE4 can burn quietly and won't go off if shot. A worry of people carrying explosives is the detonators going off, but then again those are tiny targets and no one carries blocks of PE4 with the detonators inserted on a long term basis.

HE weapons (e.g. 40mm grenades, hand grenades, M72, Javelin) typically have an arming system on firing them but that can be bypassed by a bullet to the primer directly - again an unlucky circumstance. The pellet of primary explosive is probably no bigger than a kernel of corn.

If you shoot a live round it may go off (in a rubbish way, since the casing is broken and the bullet won't have the distance of a barrel to accelerate through) but even then it is only one going off.

A gas canister would burst and vent high pressure gases if shot. What happens next depends on a number of factors. The worst case scenario is a fuel - air explosion, but it is tricky to manage with propane with its 2 - 10% flammability limits. Basically the volume immediately around the ruptured cylinder would be fuel rich, hence no explosion. (NB: Acetylene is much more fun for FAEs 3-82% heh heh)

Acetylene Explosion - YouTube
  15. I was thinking that you were suggesting that they couldn't be trusted with compressed gas.

If we are only concerned about being shot in the thing, then perhaps rocket motors and phosphorus would raise greater concerns.
    Maybe it might be an issue inside an armoured vehicle, or aircraft, but how different to carrying around the regular gas canisters for jetboil or similar systems?