• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Flameless, lightweight Heatstick boils water on the move

It will never catch on for 2 reasons .

1) They have 30 years stock of hexi to use up
2 ) It doesn't make your mess tins dirty

Good God man , you'll be wanting to get rid of bed blocks , floor bumpers and puttees next .

Interesting technology. Hard to say definitively without inspecting one physically, but I think it is based on the catalytic oxidation of methane. The clue is here:

OUR TECHNOLOGY | HEATGEAR.dk
Our flameless heating technology uses gas and oxygen. The residual products are carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O). None of these come in contact with the water being heated at any time.

The absence of an open flame makes for a very environmentally friendly heating solution. This zero emission technology is highly efficient and releases only negligible amounts of NOx, CO, HC and soot particles.
Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters?

Attachments

Interesting technology. Hard to say definitively without inspecting one physically, but I think it is based on the catalytic oxidation of methane. The clue is here:

OUR TECHNOLOGY | HEATGEAR.dk

Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters? joking right?
Read the pdf , simples eh? I think the only issue with this is price , give it a year and someone else will rip it off and do it for half price .

Read the pdf , simples eh? I think the only issue with this is price , give it a year and someone else will rip it off and do it for half price .
Their own website says it uses "gas and oxygen". The gas is going to be in a pressurised canister, hence my rhetorical question "Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters?"

Also, see their Fuel Stick product:
FUELSTICK | HEATGEAR.dk

Probably contains propane.

Assuming it gets the interest of MoD Abbey Wood, why would soldiers have to pay for it? Wouldn't procurement be done transparent to soldier spending, or is there some personal discretion in what COTS equipment soldiers buy for themselves?

Personally I think these heat sticks have problems with the type of food you can heat (only liquids), cost (compared to hexamine burners!) and compressed gas canisters.

Come on, it isn't that expensive that your average squaddie can't afford it, he'll quite happily spend 200 notes on a pair of Titanium Oakleys, this is just another piece of shiny kit that they will buy if they want it. Th MoD is too skint to be buying this sort of thing when they already have kit that does the job, and lets face it if the MoD did supply them they would soon be "lost" and claimed on personal kit insurance, yer thieving bastards :)

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Mav

Old-Salt
Their own website says it uses "gas and oxygen". The gas is going to be in a pressurised canister, hence my rhetorical question "Will soldiers be OK with carrying around compressed flammable gas canisters?"

Also, see their Fuel Stick product:
FUELSTICK | HEATGEAR.dk

Probably contains propane.

Assuming it gets the interest of MoD Abbey Wood, why would soldiers have to pay for it? Wouldn't procurement be done transparent to soldier spending, or is there some personal discretion in what COTS equipment soldiers buy for themselves?

Personally I think these heat sticks have problems with the type of food you can heat (only liquids), cost (compared to hexamine burners!) and compressed gas canisters.
Is that any different to carrying around a regular gas cooking system like a jetboil?

Is carrying compressed gas around and more or less dangerous than carrying high explosives, and propellant around?
Speaking theoretically as a scientist:

PE4 can burn quietly and won't go off if shot. A worry of people carrying explosives is the detonators going off, but then again those are tiny targets and no one carries blocks of PE4 with the detonators inserted on a long term basis.

HE weapons (e.g. 40mm grenades, hand grenades, M72, Javelin) typically have an arming system on firing them but that can be bypassed by a bullet to the primer directly - again an unlucky circumstance. The pellet of primary explosive is probably no bigger than a kernel of corn.

If you shoot a live round it may go off (in a rubbish way, since the casing is broken and the bullet won't have the distance of a barrel to accelerate through) but even then it is only one going off.

A gas canister would burst and vent high pressure gases if shot. What happens next depends on a number of factors. The worst case scenario is a fuel - air explosion, but it is tricky to manage with propane with its 2 - 10% flammability limits. Basically the volume immediately around the ruptured cylinder would be fuel rich, hence no explosion. (NB: Acetylene is much more fun for FAEs 3-82% heh heh)

Acetylene Explosion - YouTube

I was thinking that you were suggesting that they couldn't be trusted with compressed gas.

If we are only concerned about being shot in the thing, then perhaps rocket motors and phosphorus would raise greater concerns.
Maybe it might be an issue inside an armoured vehicle, or aircraft, but how different to carrying around the regular gas canisters for jetboil or similar systems?

I was thinking that you were suggesting that they couldn't be trusted with compressed gas.

If we are only concerned about being shot in the thing, then perhaps rocket motors and phosphorus would raise greater concerns.
Maybe it might be an issue inside an armoured vehicle, or aircraft, but how different to carrying around the regular gas canisters for jetboil or similar systems?
I don't know. I don't deal with procurement and am not a soldier.

Research proposals I submitted to DSTL that had compressed gas canisters (one even inert ones) were torn apart because of this aspect.

Speaking theoretically as a scientist:

PE4 can burn quietly and won't go off if shot. A worry of people carrying explosives is the detonators going off, but then again those are tiny targets and no one carries blocks of PE4 with the detonators inserted on a long term basis.

..Oh Yeah? - Check the pile of "denial charges" (1/2 barmine +PE + 6" Safety fuze + L1 Det + pull ignigter) rolling around in the back of a WIMIC I confiscated a couple of years ago.. never underestimate the stupidity of unsupervised children with fireworks..!

HE weapons (e.g. 40mm grenades, hand grenades, M72, Javelin) typically have an arming system on firing them but that can be bypassed by a bullet to the primer directly - again an unlucky circumstance. The pellet of primary explosive is probably no bigger than a kernel of corn.

If the kit is properly designed and checked by DOSG, this should not happen. This is why detonators have to be physically separated from the initiation chain if they are not impact safe. Newer weapons like the JAv have (apparantly) intrinsically safe dets that do not go off on fragment impact.

If you shoot a live round it may go off (in a rubbish way, since the casing is broken and the bullet won't have the distance of a barrel to accelerate through) but even then it is only one going off.

If it is HD 1.4 the round should not propagate an explosion in the other rounds. Not always the case! - check the label! Some high calibre SAA is 1.3!

A gas canister would burst and vent high pressure gases if shot. What happens next depends on a number of factors. The worst case scenario is a fuel - air explosion, but it is tricky to manage with propane with its 2 - 10% flammability limits. Basically the volume immediately around the ruptured cylinder would be fuel rich, hence no explosion. (NB: Acetylene is much more fun for FAEs 3-82% heh heh)

Acetylene Explosion - YouTube
The bottom line is that compressed, inflammable gas is a real problem in an enclosed space, particularly if the space is occupied by humans or vital equipment (such as you might find on an aircraft!).

The risk to an individual in a basha is probably ok, and frankly if his Jetboil takes an incoming round, then he is probably not having a nice day anyway..

The danger is getting the gas to the end user. Ok if you can pay a jingly to deliver it to the FOB, however moving thin cased LPG cans through service transport channels, which usually involves an aircraft or stuffing the items into a mixed load in a container, is a complete show stopper! It only requires one can to get punctured by a sharp edge to fill a shipping container or an aircraft cargo bay with a potentially explosive mixture.

So.. Jetboils etc are great for invading Otterburn, Suffield and other battle zones where combat oriented retail outlets are available to supply canned gas on an opportunity basis.. You cannot however rely on them - Hexy is boring, dirty and only marginally effective, however it is compact and safe to transport and supply and will brew tea in any military scenario..

The bottom line is that compressed, inflammable gas is a real problem in an enclosed space, particularly if the space is occupied by humans or vital equipment (such as you might find on an aircraft!).

The risk to an individual in a basha is probably ok, and frankly if his Jetboil takes an incoming round, then he is probably not having a nice day anyway..

The danger is getting the gas to the end user. Ok if you can pay a jingly to deliver it to the FOB, however moving thin cased LPG cans through service transport channels, which usually involves an aircraft or stuffing the items into a mixed load in a container, is a complete show stopper! It only requires one can to get punctured by a sharp edge to fill a shipping container or an aircraft cargo bay with a potentially explosive mixture.

So.. Jetboils etc are great for invading Otterburn, Suffield and other battle zones where combat oriented retail outlets are available to supply canned gas on an opportunity basis.. You cannot however rely on them - Hexy is boring, dirty and only marginally effective, however it is compact and safe to transport and supply and will brew tea in any military scenario..
Thanks for the education! Posts like this are gems. :)

Latest Threads