flame weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by puzzledgrunt, Jan 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the British Army still use these or have they been PC-ed out of service?I know the Australian Army used to use flamethrowers, as I qualified on one of the last two that were still serviceable (no idea what it's been replaced by, if anything.Some kind of four-shot throwaway thing, I think)
  2. No, we haven't used these for decades. There are better weapons for achieving the same effect with reduced risk to the operator.
  3. Thermobaric weapons for example much better result
  4. yeah alot better then getting your fuel tank (or whatever it is)shot and bursting into flames. :)
  5. Apparently several manpack flamethrowers (don't know the model designation) were extracted from museums and depots and refurbished for possible use in Op Corporate (1982). Not sure if they were ever shipped, but the work did take place, according to a source who was in a position to know about it.
  6. I thought flame throwers were now against the geneva convention.
    I stand ready to be corrected
  7. As far as I'm aware there are some in the deepest, darkest recesses of storage, between the De Lisle Carbines and the trench clubs. I do vaguely recall glimpsing a PAM-alike on them a few years ago.

I think you're only breaking the Geneva Conventions if you lose.
  8. Sorry been a bit of a geek this morning! Went on a battle field tour of Berlin last year and this came up, I'm all up for BBQing the Taliban but :
    Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons
    Protocol III
    Protocol on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Incendiary Weapons.
    Geneva, 10 October 1980
    Article 1
    For the purpose of this Protocol:

1. Incendiary weapon" means any weapon or munition which is primarily designed to set fire to objects or to cause burn injury to persons through the action of flame, heat, or combination thereof, produced by a chemical reaction of a substance delivered on the target. (a) Incendiary weapons can take the form of, for example, flame throwers, fougasses, shells, rockets, grenades, mines, bombs and other containers of incendiary substances.
    (b) Incendiary weapons do not include:
    (i) Munitions which may have incidental incendiary effects, such as illuminants, tracers, smoke or signalling systems;
    (ii) Munitions designed to combine penetration, blast or fragmentation effects with an additional incendiary effect, such as armour-piercing projectiles, fragmentation shells, explosive bombs and similar combined-effects munitions in which the incendiary effect is not specifically designed to cause burn injury to persons, but to be used against military objectives, such as armoured vehicles, aircraft and installations or facilities.
    2. Concentration of civilians" means any concentration of civilians, be it permanent or temporary, such as in inhabited parts of cities, or inhabited towns or villages, or as in camps or columns of refugees or evacuees, or groups of nomads.
    3. Military objective" means, so far as objects are concerned, any object which by its nature, location, purpose or use makes an effective contribution to military action and whose total or partial destruction, capture or neutralization, in the circumstances ruling at the time, offers a definite military advantage.
    4. Civilian objects" are all objects which are not military objectives as defined in paragraph 3.
    5. Feasible precautions" are those precautions which are practicable or practically possible taking into account all circumstances ruling at the time, including humanitarian and military considerations.
    A load of mumbo jumbo , Afghan rules civvi / mil target?
  9. Also read an article in the ARMY Doctrine & Training News - NUMBER 22 - SUMMER 2006,
    It said RPO-A disposible, thermobaric launcher range of 600m would provided unbeatable " pocket artillery" for INF but lacking this flamethrowers are all but essential for house clearing.
  10. As the Taliban and Al-Q have not signed the Geneva Convention the confilct is not bound by the convention although we are still bound by international law.
  11. Even if i opposition hasn't signed the convention, surely we are still bound to it, and it would be seen as a war crime if we went against it?

Petrol prices are all ready too high, don't need them to go up further!:)
  12. The only post WW2 reference to flame throwers being used by the British Army was in Malaya. Cannot remember which battalion or when as I read this a long time ago. IIRC it mentioned the battalion only having one and it being operate by the PTI Sgt from the APTC.

Like I say I rea this a long time ago so I might be wrong about the conflict but I am certain about the APTC.
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Nope. Feel free to execute TT. AQ however, as not an army of a state however becomes something along the lines of protected I think. Geneva convention only applies if both sides have signed. I'm trying to recall if the yanks signed it.
  14. The last true flamethrower used in UK Service was the AckPack.

I remeber having a training manuel for it dated in the early sixties, but never used in anger as I recall..

It used a revolver igniter assembly that was used to torture ATs in spotter tests..!