Flame to the Foresight

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jerrycan2793, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been watching Band of Brothers and noticed a soldier using flame on the foresight, does this achieve something?
  2. It's supposed to make it "sooty", ie nice and black without shiny little bits, for a clearer sight picture.
  3. Target shooters used to use small acetylene lamps for this purpose; today there are special cans of spray-on "sight black".
  4. Every day is a school day, cheers
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I used to dip a piece of 4x2 in gun oil and burn that. Shooters will basically do anything within the rules that they think will give them an edge.
  6. If you're that way inclined, you'll put putty in the rear sight aperture and re-hole it when it's hard, then blacken, to give you a better sight alignment
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep, every team at Bisley RASAAM had an acetylene lamp or two, to blacken the sights, back in the days of SLRs. The matt black of pure carbon deposits is really pretty impressive.

Oh, and it also led to the idea of feeding lumps of calcium carbide to the seagulls at Lydd - but that's another story :)
  8. carbide in ashtray in pub just before you leave ,wet with beer. the smell is something- else all good fun
  9. You've triggered off some great memories, thanks.

Been there, seen it, done it.
  10. I think we used a carbide lamp to achieve the same thing of making the sights matt and give it a sharper glare free sight picture. When I did Bisley blackening the sights was legal, I do remember someone putting masking tape over the rear sight then pushing a pin through the tape and sight making the hole smaller, he was shredded by a DS. This was in the days of the SLR when we shot back to 500m on iron sights.
  11. Yes and the Range Conducting officer would use a match stick to push out the deposit from the rear site as it was deemed "illigal" . As some shottists would start on the first of Jan and by the time Bisley was taking place their rear site aperture was more like the aperture of a target shooting air rifle.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Wooden furniture + double leaf rear sight. Why cheat? :-D
  13. I must have led a very sheltered life as always seemed to be cleaning carbon deposts OFF the weapon.

Particularly around the gas plug.