Flame Throwers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by The-Daddy, Jan 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone an idea when the British Army stopped using Flame Throwers?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I believe 1945 on ops in the far east though I have read in the past that the PTI sgt in Malayan bound Inf Bns was trained to be the Flamethrower instructor!

3. Apparently, some WW2-era flame-throwers were prepped, and crews trained, for possible use in GW1. Defining "last use" is difficult for any equipment that is held in store but not normally deployed.

4. The true is that the carbon footprint was too great so the MOD cancelled their use. The extra money saved went into comfy chairs in their HQ. See Nothing changes!!!!!

5. The last time I lit one of my farts was 1992...

6. In his memoir 'Soldier On! The Testament of a Tom', Brigadier Joe Starling describes the use of the 'Ackpack' by 1 Suffolk against CTs in Malaya. The story is not dated, but the Bn did not go to Malaya until 1948.

7. WW2?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That may be the quote I read, I think it was in Army Trg News in 1987/88.

9. We still had the Akpack Flamethrower pamphlet (fully amended of course) in the Bn library in the late 1960s - no flamethrowers though!

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The SADF had them on the books into the late eighties, the problem was getting all the necessary components in one place.
    A certain SSgt XXX was looking fwd to leading the last Inf unit of the twentieth century armed with them into battle until the whole issue went tits up.
    You've never seen a more pissed off okie when they called the game off.

11. Just use white phosphorus instead...... :thumright: :numberone:

SsshhhhH!

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Unfortunately not the same effect Praetorian, neither physically nor psychologically.
    But if that's the direction we're headed, try red phos.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

APSE

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I was on a grenade range at Hohne. Details suggest 78 or 79. I suspect it doubled as a flamethrower range because there was a sign (that was clearly not an old sign) announcing a bay marked "Flammpatronen" ("Flamethrower canisters").

I have always assume therefore that flamethrowers went the way of canister tank rounds after a Geneva Convention which I believe to have been 1953.

The canister round was used during the Korean War to cut down hordes of suicidal Chinese in such numbers that coaxial GPMGs would melt their barrels before they were all dead ... then promptly banned, but these conventions could not enforce the destruction of stockpiles, merely prohibit the manufacture of the equipment. Needless to say, we must have manufactured an awful lot of canister rounds for our Saracens before they the manufacture stopped. Thus every annual firing camp the whole regiment whole gather on the firing point to watch a demonstration of the firing of a canister round from a Scorpion. One round per annum and no other way to use them up. We probably still have thousands of them, but no 76s to fire them from.

My guess is that the flamethrower got the same treatment and the Bundeswehr were still using up their supplies at the time.

But I have absolutely no evidence.

15. I recall this (or something like it) being touted as fulfilling the role:
    [​IMG]
    More at Janes.