Flail tanks. Are they no use? Why dont we use them today?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by EX_STAB, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found this mine clearance vehicle
    Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2sSnGl3W8 (Somewhat silly commentary!

Now it looks OK for post conflict mine clearance I suppose but it doesn't look like something you'd want to use on the battle field.

It follows the principle of the old Flail tanks:

Is there no role for something of this nature to fill the gap between the bloke with a mine probe and Giant Viper? Something like a flail on a 432 for example?
  2. ermmmmmm..Aardvark?
  3. We used them in Kuwait. They were nicknamed the AARDVARK Mine Redispersal system due to the fact they picked up the mines and flung them elsewhere, including the parts you had just cleared.

They are not effective against constant pressure 'bellows' mines such as the Italian VS1.6/2.2, VS50 etc as the chains don't provide the constant pressure to activate them.

In the end, bits of metal bar were welded to armoured excavator buckets and the planties drove down the desert setting mines off one at a time for the ones too dodgy to defuse by hand.

Ironically we cleared beaches after the AARDVARK had been there by hand to get rid of the re-dispersed mines. At least one of our number died in this way.

MM :( (ignore avatar for this post)
  4. Nearly all casualties in theatre are due to IED not mine strike. Flails are no use against IEDs.
  5. Would they not damage them in such a way as to render them useless?
  6. Thats assuming the IED is in the path of the flail? It may make them more unstable, or fling bits of IED elsewhere.

What if it is an 'off-route' shaped charge IED? Would get the flail.

As FJ says, no use or they'd be using them.

7. No. They would just activate the pressure plate and the explosives which would no doubt be around 1 to 2 metres behind the pressure plate would blow the vehicle up!
  8. I wasn't there but I heard one of the units using them called it a GWARVARK due the pigment colour of the drivers hair.

Not alot of people know that.
  9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Anyone know what we did with these we bought for the Balkans

10. We're buying/bought upgraded ones. They will be in theatre this year.
  11. Answers that question! Cheers.
  12. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

What happened to the ones we bought for the Balkans then, probably sold at a knockdown price and then bought back for an inflated price, just like the Supacats !

The press will have a field day
  13. They do now.
  14. It doesn't look like something you'd want to be sitting in whilst being shot at. A 432 would be less mine resistant but would be more of a combat vehicle I would think.
  15. They'd be great against civpop :)