Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima starting.

Showing on Channel 4+1 at 2200Hrs 15/11/09,Flags of Our Fathers & Letters from Iwo Jima.

Flags of Our Fathers is a 2006 American war film directed, co-produced and scored by Clint Eastwood and written by William Broyles, Jr. and Paul Haggis. It is based on the book of the same name written by James Bradley and Ron Powers about the Battle of Iwo Jima, the six men who were involved in raising the flag on Iwo Jima, and the aftereffects of that event on their lives.

Instead of a linear storyline like the book, the film is told in media res, with events of the Battle shown through a series of flashbacks. Eastwood also directed a complementary film on the battle from the Japanese viewpoint entitled Letters from Iwo Jima. It was released in Japan on December 9, 2006 and in the United States on December 20, 2006, two months after the release of Flags of Our Fathers on October 20, 2006. The film is produced by Eastwood and Steven Spielberg.
I saw flags of our fathers on +1, didn't get around to letters from Iwo Jima.

I thought flags of our fathers was excellent and not having served, I thought it dealt with PTSD pretty well.

It was very reflective compared to a lot of american 'wooh yeah, we're going to go and kill those japs' films.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sparticuss The NAAFI Bar 22
stoatman Gaming and Software 22
H Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3