FLAG

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by scruff_2, Dec 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My father is ex RAF, he served for about 12 years back in the 50's and early 60's. He has been taken into a hospice today and has not got very long left. Does any-one know the rules on draping coffins in a military (ie RAF) flag.

Sorry would have asked this on E Goat but am not a member.

2. If you want to do it then do it, if anyone objects tell them to **** off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. When my grandfather died, ex RN, I asked the RN for permission to place a white ensign on the coffin. They explained that I could if I wished but that the correct ceremonial drill was for the coffin to be draped in the Union flag, which they then provided for me and which I still have today. Any ex-serviceman or woman is entitled to have the union flag on their coffin. Hope that helps

4. When my grandfather died, ex RN, I asked the RN for permission to place a white ensign on the coffin. They explained that I could if I wished but that the correct ceremonial drill was for the coffin to be draped in the Union flag, which they then provided for me and which I still have today. Any ex-serviceman or woman is entitled to have the union flag on their coffin.

Ditto, I had the very same experience. Stick a Union flag on, he's earned it.

5. Well unfortunately the Old boy went on Christmas day. I manage to get hold of some-one in the RAF and they said they would be honoured
    for their ensign to be on his coffin. Then managed to contact local RAFA and they said they will supply a flag and a
    standard bearer for the funeral

• Like Like x 2