Flag Protocol

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Dashing_Chap, Apr 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've had the honour of raising the flag on a few occasions, however, the finer rules of flag protocol were never explained to me. During a discussion with my friend in the USMC a few years back he informed me that the flag should never be allowed to touch the ground and that this was common knowledge for most Americans.

Is this also the case for the Union Flag? I do get a bit concerned when I see people dropping the cheap plastic ones on the floor, I even saw one family using it as a tablecloth today. They can't be unpatriotic though, is it wrong to use the flag for that purpose? I think the finishing touch was BBC News showing a goat eating one of the flags in Buckley.

Are there any original rules for the use of the Union Flag or are they the supposed rules American imports?

I also noticed not many civvies feel obliged to stand for the national anthem, is this ignorance?

2. The Union should also never touch the ground, also many Unions (including my own location) have it marked in small letters T & B for obvious reasons,

Unsure of any other protocols apart from folding it up correctly...
  3. The etiquette is simple; the National flag should never touch the ground and everyone should stand to attention for the National Anthem. However, there is, sadly, no law against either!

As for you wasters across the pond - who gives a ****?!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I don't think is widely known knowledge that you should stand for the national anthem or at least in not drilled in.

I will stand for the national anthem and I did so today.
  5. As the Brits aren't quite so **** about the flag as the Spams are, it doesn't really matter. We have, after all, Union Flag underpants, Union Flag handkerchiefs, Union Flag teatowels etc etc. The flag is a flag is a flag and nothing to get overly concerned about. Unlike the Spams who treat it almost like a holy relic instead of a piece of material with coloured bits on it. They get all upset when the dark skinned brethren pour petrol over this piece of material and set fire to it. Why? It's not the American flag they are burning. It is a piece of cotton or plastic which they have bought and set fire to, so it is their flag they are burning, not the Americans. If they'd done a sneaky beaky into the nearest US military establishment, pulled down the flag and then burnt it then the Spams could be forgiven for a bit of umbrage. However, nipping into the nearest Flags R Us shop and burning their latest purchase should not bother them one whit.
  6. You used to have to stand when the National Anthem was played prior to a film in the SKC (SSCV for the young pups) being played. I believe the septics have a law regarding not wearing their flag as a pair of pants for example?
  7. Without wanting to disagree with someone who may know a lot more than I do but how does that explain the lowering of standards during Rememberance Day parade?
    I've seen it many times where the standard bearers lower the Union Flag to lay on the ground for the silence.
    To be honest I've always thought those from the American colonies were a bit silly when it comes to some things about their flags. When I lived over there I heard of a kid in the local high school who tripped over while carrying a box of flags spilling them all over the floor. Apparently they all had to be destroyed as they had been sullied.
  8. Every so often, a US politician tries to whip up votes, sorry righteous fervour, by proposing that flag-burning be made a criminal offence.

The problem they face is that the officially-recognised US military method of disposing of worn and damaged flags is... To burn them.
  9. From the article on flags in my 1968 "World Book" Encyclopedia (an American publication).

10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

May I suggest a quick google images search for " US Flag Bikini" shows plenty of young ladies in what look supeciously like Stars and Stripes pants and other items
  11. Purely in the interests of research...

Attached Files:

12. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Considering that until recent times the army followed the Colours into battle (both sides of the pond) and not only was a rallying point for the friendly troops but also pretty big target for the enemy so the chap carrying the greatest honour, also carried the greatest risk.

I can't remember what regiment or even battle, but I do remember reading that one regiment lost something like thirteen men carrying the Colours in one action, so you can pretty much guarantee that the Colours touched the floor at some point in the battle, which might also explain the RBL practice of lowering the flag all the way to the floor, but this is supposition.
  13. Well its intetetsting that the state run tv should show a goat eating our flag, clearly someone at the bbc didn't know the rules.

Imagine that going on tv in the states.

14. You see Flash that would be way before my time being a very young pup. I think I learned about the whole respect for the national anthem in scouts , spaceys et al
  15. "In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman, and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true, that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during "God Save the King" than stealing from a poor box".

George Orwell (1903-1950) - English author