Flag Poles and pissing off the neighbours

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Union flag (or St George's Cross) is associated by many as a right-wing display.
Mainly the left wing hand-wringers desperate to distance themselves from a past they refuse to attempt to understand, while happy both to prosper from, and abuse those benefits that that history gave them.

Mainly the left wing hand-wringers desperate to distance themselves from a past they refuse to attempt to understand, while happy both to prosper from, and abuse those benefits that that history gave them.
If I raised St George's flag in my place I can fully expect torches and pitchforks to be marching towards my humble abode with murderous intent.

Reply to @ Slipperman

Your reply of" Bradford" would not allow a reply to be posted, me thinks the mods are on your case! so, might I suggest, you approach the British consular office , in town centre, and get a dispensation to erect a pole, with flag, and some serious security.

Last edited:
Nope.
Wales. Mining village that considers Maggie and all things English Satan Incarnate.
Ah. The third world then. My deepest sympathies.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Come to sunny Carrickfergus, we have loads of flegs. Everyone* welcome.

That's gonna be quite some bonfire: someone has dumped an entire big garden shed behind it.

IMG_20190610_170154.jpg

EEEEEE-YEEEEOOOOO!

IMG_20190610_170222.jpg

Meatbombs get their own lamp-post.

IMG_20190610_170321.jpg

*unless you're a Fenian. Not a good idea to visit Carrick if you're a Fenian.

I once read – and it does seem to make sense to me – that the reason countries like the US (and other republics) channel their national pride into their flags, and we British see that as a little gauche, is because we channel our national pride into the Sovereign.

Her Majesty and the other senior royals represent Great Britain and we display our national pride through them, but the Americans view their flag representing them, and so it means significantly more to them than the Union Flag (or Cross of St. George etc) does here.

I once read – and it does seem to make sense to me – that the reason countries like the US (and other republics) channel their national pride into their flags, and we British see that as a little gauche, is because we channel our national pride into the Sovereign.

Her Majesty and the other senior royals represent Great Britain and we display our national pride through them, but the Americans view their flag representing them, and so it means significantly more to them than the Union Flag (or Cross of St. George etc) does here.
I pledge allegiance to the flag etc etc etc
Also, the "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."
Which is a bit of a bugger, as who declares what an enemy is?
Think Kent State

"I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."
Which is a bit of a bugger...
...if you're trying to get rid of part of that Constitution.