Flag Poles and pissing off the neighbours

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I put a flagpole up a few years back which usually has the Union Jack up (except for last year when I had the RAF ensign for the RAF's 100th).

I rarely see my neighbour from across the road but he seemed to make a point of coming to tell me that he has a good view of the flag from his bedroom window. He said it in a way that didn't sound complementary and judging by the look on his face when I said "You're welcome" he hadn't intended it to be complimentary but hasn't mentioned it since.

I had expected to get a visit to tell me it has offended someone as we have a large non-UK population locally but so far nothing. Our local council rarely fly the Union Jack but usually have the LGBT rainbow flag up.
I am always waiting for someone to have a go when I walk the dogs in the rain.
Some years ago one of my greyhounds was called George, when looking for a raincoat for him I saw a cross of St George coat, I couldn't resist.
The old boy is long gone, but the coat is still in use.
Even though we live in an area with a large number of immigrants, no one says a word.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My kids were positive that they wanted a flag pole on their treehouse. Most of the time it flies a Welsh dragon, though we have a Union flag and an RAF ensign for special occasions. No one gives a monkey's around here and lots of people fly the Welsh dragon at their houses. A couple of brave souls fly the cross of St George and there is a St Andrew's saltire hereabouts around Newport, too. A "scrapyard with caravans" on the old coast road to Cardiff flies a tatty old Irish tricolour, as if you needed any more clues once you've seen the scruffy ponies grazing on the verges.

I just don't understand the big deal about it though -more than half the houses in the U.S. have one hanging one outside the porch or whatever. Not just U.S. flags, but other countries', their sports team etc etc.

I just don't understand the big deal about it though -more than half the houses in the U.S. have one hanging one outside the porch or whatever. Not just U.S. flags, but other countries', their sports team etc etc.
The Union flag (or St George's Cross) is associated by many as a right-wing display.