Flag Etiquette

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by MSSC, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I've recently bought a ski - chalet in the mountains (cheap rental rates to Arrsers to follow).

And, apart from the nuclear bunker that all ski chalets just can't be without I also got a flag pole

[​IMG]

Now my question is:

Can I just run the Union Flag up there and be done with it? Or is there a form of etiquette where I should raise the Swiss Flag and have the UF flying underneath? Can they be the same size? Should I leave a distance between the flags? Can two flags be up one pole?

A sailing friend tells me that flying your own nationalities flag on entering harbour means you are invading. Something I think my neighbours might object to.

Are flags naff?

Is the UF OK and can I swap to England when we are playing rugby?

If I have a foreign guests (obviously not a frenchy) am I obliged to rush off and buy a flag for them for when they are visiting?

Should I salute when raising or lowering?

Swissies are quite…. Anal…. about these things so I would prefer to get it right and not incur the wrath of the cantonal polizei...

2. So do we get to live in the bunker eating rat packs and practising defecation drills in our NBC suits? Oh how I miss the cold war :D

[​IMG]

3. From the fount of useless knowledge (daddy was a sailor-man):

Probably but check whether your neighbours mind first.

No - if you fly one national flag beneath another, it implies the lower nation has surrendered or submitted to the other. It is also considered bad form to have two flags on a single pole.

Not true. All seagoing craft over a certain size are required to fly their national ensign - it is an identifier and signals no warlike intent.

Ha ha ha

Fill your boots.

There's no UK etiquette on this, unlike the US which insists on a particular way of folding the flag. The flag should only fly between sunrise and sunset. On lowering, keep the halyard taut and make sure the flag doesn't brush the ground.

You may find it difficult to salute and pull down the halyard at the same time... :thumright:

Check what the local custom is as some people get a bit uppity about these things.

4. The Union Flag should never be flown lower than any other flag (other than the Royal Standard).

This raised a bit of an issue at a place where I was working (US owned) on the occasion of the Queen Mum's death. They had dozens of flags and dipped the Union Flag as a mark of respect. I had a quiet word about flag etiquette with the result that the other flags were removed temporarily.

Fly the Union Flag alone. If you get any complaints, drop the hint that your bank accounts are numbered. You shouldn't get any trouble after that.

5. You're British, therefore you're always right!!

Only on your underpants

It should be a Saltire but if you're English it's too late to apologise

I'd make the visitors salute the UF :threaten:

6. How many other national flags do you see flying in the UK?? My advice is fly the St Georges Cross and the Union Flag "Swing Low"

Ubique

8. Seem to recall reading somewhere that flying a flag at half mast isnt half way down the pole but the height of the flag down from the top of the mast. Or did I imagine that??

9. Correct.

Caused a problem at the firm's office when they bought a flag higher than half the length of the sloping flagpole. Half mast ended up being dipped 6"!

11. I was going to march the family out twice a day and have Mrs MSSC pop one up.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Flying "ONLY" your own nationalities flag on entering harbour means you are invading."In addition to theuir own ensign, visiting vessels fly the flag of the country they are visiting on the starboard shroud as a courtesy".

A national flag is always treated with dignity and respect. While flown in its home country, it takes precedence over all other flags, including flags of other sovereign nations. The only exception to this practice is in the United Kingdom, or other Commonwealth countries, where the personal standards of members of the Royal Family, or of Her Majesty's official representatives, are always given precedence, even over the national flag.

The flag of the host nation is always given the position of honour before the other national flags. When two national flags are flown from the top or in front of a building with two flagpoles, the host national's flag appears on the left as viewed facing the building. When flown from an odd number of flagpoles, the host nation's flag is displayed on the pole in front of an pointing to the left of the other flag's staff. At all times, national flags displayed with flags of other nations should be of the same size and displayed at the same height. If any fringes or tassels are displayed on any of the flags, the same decorations should appear on all the other flags. A national flag can be flown from the same flagpole as any other flag, except another national flag. For example, if a corporate or private building has only one flagpole, the national flag may be displayed on the same pole as the corporate or personal flag, if the national flag is higher than the other flag on the pole. 'Corporation' includes universities and other schools, clubs, and other organizations.

http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/regulationsandsafety/flagetiquette.htm