Fixing Brown Boots - Help needed

Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and shine a little advice on how i could fix my brown boots. I have a set of Brown Karrimor SF boots that i stupidly followed the advice to use Kiwi Dark Tan on them and now they are the Dreaded Maroon colour. How do i Strip the boot and remove the maroon colour and what polish should i use? Because as much as they're a field boot id like to give them a smart shine for usage around the camp.

You’re never going to strip the colour off them because the polish is impregnated into the leather.

There are many solutions for stripping back layers of bulled boots, but if you tried them on your boots I doubt they would have much effect and might make them worse.

All you can do is try and change the colour with another polish.

Scuff the leather a bit to give the polish a chance to soak in, use a green scouring pad or scotchbrite from your weapon cleaning kit. Then just apply black kiwi (not parade gloss). Scoop it up in your fingers and work it into the leather, give it an hour to soak in then brush polish to see the effect.

Alternatively try brown, not tan. You might want to experiment on a small area to see which works best - inside heel is the best bet.

I don’t have feet, so am possibly not the best qualified.

Who gave you the advice to use Kiwi? If it was someone in officialdom then tell em to rod off and wear your marron boots - if it was a 'mate' then tough. Incidentally what is the 'official' cleaning material for these boots?

You’re never going to strip the colour off them because the polish is impregnated into the leather.

There are many solutions for stripping back layers of bulled boots, but if you tried them on your boots I doubt they would have much effect and might make them worse.

Scuff the leather a bit to give the polish a chance to soak in, use a green scouring pad or scotchbrite from your weapon cleaning kit. Then just apply black kiwi (not parade gloss). Scoop it up in your fingers and work it into the leather, give it an hour to soak in then brush polish to see the effect.

Alternatively try brown, not tan. You might want to experiment on a small area to see which works best - inside heel is the best bet.

Thanks Dingerr ill give that a try

Who gave you the advice to use Kiwi? If it was someone in officialdom then tell em to rod off and wear your marron boots - if it was a 'mate' then tough. Incidentally what is the 'official' cleaning material for these boots?
devexwarrior i'm afraid it was a mixture of mates and instructors but at least i've learnt my lesson even though it was the hard way.

Wear issue boots. You can a new pair for free.

Purple_Flash

ADC
Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and shine a little advice on how i could fix my brown boots. I have a set of Brown Karrimor SF boots that i stupidly followed the advice to use Kiwi Dark Tan on them and now they are the Dreaded Maroon colour. How do i Strip the boot and remove the maroon colour and what polish should i use? Because as much as they're a field boot id like to give them a smart shine for usage around the camp.
Saphir RENOMAT

Yes, I know it’s French, but it does a good job of stripping back old wax.

Try rubbing them with cotton wool dipped in methylated spirits. I'm pretty sure that should do the trick, and there's probably some in the house already.

Test it on a less visible area first though (i.e. not the toecaps).

Oh FFS, you are a cadet - no one is going to care if your boots are slightlyh the wrong shade of brown.
They do and I think it’s refreshing that he has pride in his appearance.

Try rubbing them with cotton wool dipped in methylated spirits. I'm pretty sure that should do the trick, and there's probably some in the house already.

Test it on a less visible area first though (i.e. not the toecaps).
Alternatively acetone (nail varnish remover) but be aware that such chemicals may damage any polymers.

Soak the cotton wool in your chosen solution and wipe quickly over the boot, you’ll see the polish collect on the pad.

(Obviously this is aimed at the OP and not you TT).

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

The Guards Div take off old polish by scraping with a blunt side of a knife blade and then use Brasso to clean down to the leather, then start again with the new polish. The new polish may have to be melted into the leather.
It sounds daft but it works!

Alternatively acetone (nail varnish remover) but be aware that such chemicals may damage any polymers.

Soak the cotton wool in your chosen solution and wipe quickly over the boot, you’ll see the polish collect on the pad.

(Obviously this is aimed at the OP and not you TT).
Ill give that a go thanks for the tips.

The Guards Div take off old polish by scraping with a blunt side of a knife blade and then use Brasso to clean down to the leather, then start again with the new polish. The new polish may have to be melted into the leather.
It sounds daft but it works!
Thanks, do you have any idea on what polish the guards would use on MOD brown boots to give them a decent shine?

They do and I think it’s refreshing that he has pride in his appearance.
True that he takes pride is a good thing, but if people are gving him a hard time then they are a bit far up themselves, especially if his instructors told him to do it