FIX SWORDS (bayonets to the rest of you) AND HAVE AT THEM

I'll just move back to blighty and shag all the lonely wives :)

Same year I joined. We had the webbing gaiters until 69 when I got to Cyprus and we had to wear puttees with hosetops and boots DMS with shorts. If you opted to wears shoes (BATA) on shift then it was long socks with boy scout tabs in Corps colours to hold them up. Senior were allowed to buy desert wellies from the NAAFI (and only the NAAFI) if they purchased the tailor made OG/KD kit from the camp tailor.

(I'm talking of the ankle puttees, not the one that went right up to your knees like some on here may have).

Now, Back to the future. If they want someone to show them around Kuwait I could be available. Didn't get all the way up to Iraq nor even fire a shot in a pique of upsettidness let alone in anger. That was the time we had a shit fest named Op Granby whilst the Spams had the cool Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

I'll only go if I can still get my OAP annual updates, though.
Strangely, though I was long out and had nothing to do with Granby I did manage to find myself involved in the Iraq invasion 2003. My DNBC skills were commandered by the Saudi battlefield evacuation hospital and MASH unit at KKMC Hafr Al Batin where I set up a decontamination unit to test/train Saudi military nurses in appropriate techniques.........by the time a US one star asked me for a briefing and precisely what our capability was in that respect I was able to satisfy his inquiry with considerable precision......"we don't have any capability". He said "son (I was 55 at the time), you are the only son of a bitch that hasn't wasted my time today" before handing me a gold medalion, saluting and exiting stage left. Another hospital was mobilized for the task a bit further south closer to the form up area near Nuayriyah

Last edited:
54 and wore puttees for two and a half years
recruit cadre of 10 Para in 1977 was issued with ankle puttees to go with our midi ankle high boots. I thought the puttees were quite good for supporting that area of the leg and keeping whatever earth/gravel we encountered while crawling around out of the boot.

Strangely, though I was long out and had nothing to do with Granby I did manage to find myself involved in the Iraq invasion 2003. My DNBC skills were commandered by the Saudi battlefield evacuation hospital and MASH unit at KKMC Hafr Al Batin where I set up a decontamination unit to test/train Saudi military nurses in appropriate techniques.........
did the Saudi nurses arrive on a bus?

Would we be armed with that rifle? And could I be excused nights & every other Saturday?
If so why not, be a blast...

At least we could deploy the sick, lame & biffs if need be.

Minus any X factor of course lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry lads.
My windproof is a bit snug, my lightweights have been taken by swmbo for the gardening, wooly pully is now a crop top.

I DO have THAT rifles Bayonet though.

Of course, us ‘old duffers’ have actually done a bit in our time and having left our respective Bns, now do other things, which would come in very useful indeed, if the shit hits the fan.

Me...ex-met firearms and now a Paramedic. Also still smashing a BFT like a 19 year old.

Don’t write us off. You may be pleased that us ‘old duffers’ are there.
I’d be more impressed if you’d said you were smashing a 19 year old.

Well the big 6-0 is almost upon me, joined in ‘78, wore puttees until BCH were issued, still got a Mk3 ‘turtle’ battle bowler, set of 58, daysac, Bergen and a chest rig in the shed. I can manage a sub 20 three miler and have just done an ammunition resupply....i only work Monday to Thursday these days, if they don’t mind that, i’m In ;-)

Edited as I only do four days, not five

Last edited:
62 and Black puttees all the way!

Can we keep our CVRT please, giz a cabby I can drive them :hump:
Never mind the Dinky toys, if there are any old Chieftains packed in grease I’d like permission to volunteer. Half an hour and I reckon I could be back up to speed. The first 25 minutes might be taken with me getting in it, though.
We should also mobilise the Soltau schnelly wagen at the same time as a unit can only go so far without Herforder beer, fried food and Lambert and Butler tabs.

I forgot to ask. What speed morse code do I need to get up to before we go?

Latest Threads