Five hurt in Cyprus protest over UK military presence

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
VERY good background reading .. 'Bitter Lemons' by Laurence Durrell, who was living there before it all blew up initially. He was fluent in demotic modern Greek so understood very well what was going on.

VERY good background reading .. 'Bitter Lemons' by Laurence Durrell, who was living there before it all blew up initially. He was fluent in demotic modern Greek so understood very well what was going on.
Besides being a first-class read, it really does analyse how our government reacts to crises. In the late '50s several sources on the island were reporting to UK government officials that things were getting out of hand - even our high commission had been sending London dire warnings, but the Colonial (or Commonwealth) Office, as it was, didn't seem to take anything seriously at all, or at least was very slow to react. Have things really changed since then? What is very apparent now is that the Turkish Army will never be able to act unilaterally again - its power has been totally undermined by the current government.

Seeing it's an "Island of Love" thread. I see Rauf Denktash has curled his toes up. Didn't have him on my Death List, is it too late to put forward his old mucker Glafcos Clerides?

Rauf Denktash - Telegraph
Back in the bad old days, we often said that if anyone could have resolved the Cyprus problem, it was Denktash and Clerides together. The DT article failed to mention that they were brothers-in-law.

Back in the bad old days, we often said that if anyone could have resolved the Cyprus problem, it was Denktash and Clerides together. The DT article failed to mention that they were brothers-in-law.
I don't think so. They were both lawyers, trained in London. You could say they were fellow lawyers or 'brothers' in law, if you like.

The Cyprus Government has also just let a ship carrying 60T explosives depart to Syria in contravention of EU arms embargos. A bit naughty as they are currently chairing the EU Defence wotsit.

Worth chucking this back at the Greek Cypriots the next time they bleat about the world turning a blind eye to aggression and UN treaties.

I don't think so. They were both lawyers, trained in London. You could say they were fellow lawyers or 'brothers' in law, if you like.
Yea - good one!

Touche! I've just checked out if they really were brothers-in-law by marriage - now found out that it was not so. I distinctly remember reading about it years ago in the Greek Cypriot press, but it turns out that it was part of the "myth" and rumours which surrounded the two men when they represented each of the two sides. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yea - good one!

Touche! I've just checked out if they really were brothers-in-law by marriage - now found out that it was not so. I distinctly remember reading about it years ago in the Greek Cypriot press, but it turns out that it was part of the "myth" and rumours which surrounded the two men when they represented each of the two sides. Thanks for pointing that out.
No probs. It's likely to have been a poor translation rather than a myth.

Moved out to Cyprus lock stock in 2002 and took some time to try and understand the country the local mentality. Failed miserably for the most part (Sort of drifted back to the UK now but maintain a house in Cyprus). Its a complex place, and pro Brit and Anti Brit feeling can run hot and cold depedning on the day in question and local and international events at the time. At the end of the day the Med temper will drop off as quickly as it rises. The Greek Cypriot versions of events in 1974 are extremely one sided (as taught to my daughter in Greek school) but not unexpected. My understanding is neither side was whiter than the other but they would both have you believe they are. On the whole I've found the whole island very friendly both North and South. Its interesting though that the anti Brit sentiment seems to have risen slightly over the last few years in line with the drop in tourism and the drop in the housing market, and a number of expats heading back to the UK eventually equalling lack of Cash. Its the old story they want your cash but would rather you didnt come with it. Your average Cypriot outside of the SBA's generally wont express an opinion, until asked.

In addition to Bitter Lemons of Cyprus already mentioned two other books worth a read for background are;

Keeping the Peace in the Cyprus Crisis of 1963-64 - Alan James

The Cyprus Conspiracy: America, Espionage and the Turkish Invasion by Brendan O'Malley and Ian Craig

The former for build up to 1974 and the latter (taken with a hint of sceptisism) an account of the events themselves.