Five hurt in Cyprus protest over UK military presence

Politically active in Brussels now - more lucrative for a man of his talents and apettites.

Surely the Turks would have steamrollered the whole island in 74 if it wasn't for the SBAs!
And the Troodos - can't take armour through great mountains like that!

There is an element of Greek Cypriot opposition, usually involving Cypriot MP Marios Matsakis. The demo at the Akrotiri gate is a regular event, often peaceful, sometimes not.

There's much less bother at Dhekelia and Ay Nik and I agree the great majority of people are very hospitable.
I seem to remember a couple of events like this in the last 10 years or so - started by an upstart politico I think. I was a rooky with DWR in Polemidia in Cyprus in 1967 - the attitude of the Greeks to the Turks was plainly abusive and no one did anything about it.

And yes, it is bloody obvious that, according to the Greek Cyps, everything that's gone wrong is everyone else's fault. Good article here: Cyprus Problem: Truth About Devastated Cypriot Economy Exposed.

When I was there in 1998 I had 15 Greek and Turkish Cypriot LEC's working for me ... Saying that one incident in two years and the rest of the time both my Greek and Turkish workers got on very well and I was always treated with respect by them and their family and friends.
Was there with the UN for '84 and had a very similar experience with the locals, both sides of the border, except that I didn't see a demo or anything similar. All the more surprising given that we were expecting something to happen, it being the 10th anniversary an' all.

Politically active in Brussels now - more lucrative for a man of his talents and apettites.
Yes, I noticed that he is a MEP, thereby confirming in my mind that the European parliament is stuffed full of even more odious individuals than our own (if that were possible).

Was there with the UN for '84 and had a very similar experience with the locals, both sides of the border, except that I didn't see a demo or anything similar. All the more surprising given that we were expecting something to happen, it being the 10th anniversary an' all.
Let's be honest chaps. Almost without exception across the trouble spots of the world, the locals are not usually the problem - it is usually the politicians who cause the trouble and in many cases, they are former active terrorists themselves! A bit of a simplistic view, granted, but I hate politicians!

Didn't they say something along those lines about the Ardennes as well?
You may well be right, but I had it on good authority at the time that, if the Turks had reached the foothills, they would have stopped there. It does seem odd, though, that Turkey comprises so many mountain ranges like the Taurus, and yet seemed not prepared for this. Perhaps they simply never intended advancing that far. Does anyone else have more information?

By their own admission and statement, the Turks never intended to take the whole Island. They actually captured far more than intended - probably hard to stop commanders on ground in fog of war and all that.

The Troodos mountains were unlikely to present much of an obstacle in face of little such opposition - they took the Kyrenia ridge easily enough and could have by-passed the Troodos taking coastal towns easily enough. Problem would have been avoiding SBAs and all their enclaves. Even the shambollic UK government(s) of 1974 couldn't have overlooked Turkish aggression on UK territory.

I understand one Turkish tank did enter the SBA at Ay Nik. It was dark and he was lost and low on fuel. I heard he was topped up with fuel and shown back to the right side of the line.

The Turks never intended to seize the whole island, merely to take enough for the Turkish Cypriots to take refuge in. (They did overshoot in places, hence that long squiggly bit north of Larnaca.) In that respect they were behaving in line with their responsibilities as a guarantor power.

By their own admission and statement, the Turks never intended to take the whole Island. They actually captured far more than intended - probably hard to stop commanders on ground in fog of war and all that.The Troodos mountains were unlikely to present much of an obstacle in face of little such opposition - they took the Kyrenia ridge easily enough and could have by-passed the Troodos taking coastal towns easily enough. Problem would have been avoiding SBAs and all their enclaves. Even the shambollic UK government(s) of 1974 couldn't have overlooked Turkish aggression on UK territory.
A bit like when British squaddies enter Ayia Napa late 90's, we weren't allowed to enter the square, saying that plenty of bars and breasts to see on Nipple beach (sorry Nissi beach)

I understand one Turkish tank did enter the SBA at Ay Nik. It was dark and he was lost and low on fuel. I heard he was topped up with fuel and shown back to the right side of the line.

The Turks never intended to seize the whole island, merely to take enough for the Turkish Cypriots to take refuge in. (They did overshoot in places, hence that long squiggly bit north of Larnaca.) In that respect they were behaving in line with their responsibilities as a guarantor power.
Thanks for this - much I could say, but can't. I was told, though, that the CO of 9 and his aides walked out to the tank which penetrated Ay Nik to tell them that "they'd lost his way" or something similar. The tank apparently left without any problem.

Thanks for this - much I could say, but can't. I was told, though, that the CO of 9 and his aides walked out to the tank which penetrated Ay Nik to tell them that "they'd lost his way" or something similar. The tank apparently left without any problem.
If memory serves, there was a lot of "penetrating" going on at Ay Nik, not all of it of an hetrosexual variety either (not guilty personally your honour).

If memory serves, there was a lot of "penetrating" going on at Ay Nik, not all of it of an hetrosexual variety either (not guilty personally your honour).
Bang on, m'Lud! Always was! The most up-to-date lot I was aware of was in the early '80s - had a bad effect on the career of the CO at that time (even though it had happened before he assumed command). All came to nought, though, because of alleged errors made by SIB. Dear me, heady days!

By their own admission and statement, the Turks never intended to take the whole Island. They actually captured far more than intended - probably hard to stop commanders on ground in fog of war and all that.

The Troodos mountains were unlikely to present much of an obstacle in face of little such opposition - they took the Kyrenia ridge easily enough and could have by-passed the Troodos taking coastal towns easily enough. Problem would have been avoiding SBAs and all their enclaves. Even the shambollic UK government(s) of 1974 couldn't have overlooked Turkish aggression on UK territory.
Wasn't there some rumour at the time that the Turks had pre-arranged their movements with the British? Memory is vague, here ....

Wasn't there some rumour at the time that the Turks had pre-arranged their movements with the British? Memory is vague, here ....
Your memory is correct. They agreed to bypass the SBAs if we allowed them to seize 10000 potential kebab shop sites the length and breadth of the UK.

pretty much what they said on the hills above Lefcosia along with the TRNC flag.

"Last time we stopped, next time you swim" they weren't joking, I wouldn't fancy the Greek's chances if they tried to start another war.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The hoo-ha over our sovereign bases in Cyprus should be a warning to anyone who thinks we can maintain Faslane as a base in an independent Scotland.