Five hurt in Cyprus protest over UK military presence

it was also agreed £5 million a year for the bases, which a penny has never been paid. Most Cypriots remember the english soldiers sheilding the turks with their tanks and the english soldiers showing the turks in 1974 where to go.
Could that be because the Turkish Cypriots hadn't been trying and often succeeding in killing them in the preceding decade unlike the 'nice' Greek Cypriots?

Only CVR(T) Scorpions I think, but to most strawbs they'd be tanks.
B Sqn Blues and Royals brought their CVR(T) as part of the SPEARHEAD Grouping. There weren't any Scorpion on the island before they arrived. IIRC the 16/5 Lancers had a Sqn of Ferrets with the UN.

For the STAB's - HQ 19 Bde was on in Cyprus for an EX and formed the HQ for the reinforcements - 2/51 Highlanders were there when the invasion happened and were kept on for a couple of weeks until the Reg Army arrived in force.

Could that be because the Turkish Cypriots hadn't been trying and often succeeding in killing them in the preceding decade unlike the 'nice' Greek Cypriots?
Actually the 'where to go' dud happen but was more to ensure the Turkish advance did not encroach into UK Sovereign territory. No GPS in those days so Turkish commanders had to use map, eyeball and dead reckoning to ensure they didn't encroach at the Ay Nik and DHK end of the island. hence, they were 'helped' to steer around the markers at the edge of the SBA.

I was stationed in Cyprus from 1968 to 71 and the Greek Cypriots were all for a bit of ethnic cleansing back then. I had a hiring on the edge of the Turkish quarter in Limasol, and I well remember the night that Greek national guard plus Eoka B and other bits of the Greek Cypriot hero brigades shot the shit out of huge bits of the Turkish quarter, including my landlords Kebab restaurant and the back of my house . The killing of Turkish Cypriots had been going on for years before the Turks invaded. Greeks are sneaks.

Cyprus, like many of the Flip-Flop nations in Club Med, is just another country with an ingrained Victims mentality. Every ****** is a professional at blaming everyone but themselves, namely Britain and the USA, yet no **** in government has the ability to do anything. As for the Comrade President, Christofias, well, he is just a pupet of the Trade Unions who themselves, are the ones that run the country.

The country is just another goat herding Basket case..

I was stationed in Cyprus from 1968 to 71 and the Greek Cypriots were all for a bit of ethnic cleansing back then. I had a hiring on the edge of the Turkish quarter in Limasol, and I well remember the night that Greek national guard plus Eoka B and other bits of the Greek Cypriot hero brigades shot the shit out of huge bits of the Turkish quarter, including my landlords Kebab restaurant and the back of my house . The killing of Turkish Cypriots had been going on for years before the Turks invaded. Greeks are sneaks.
Since time began it seems.
Virgil 19BC -I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts.
Sophocles (496 - 406 BC) Nought from the Greeks towards me hath sped well

Since time began it seems.
Virgil 19BC -I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts.
Sophocles (496 - 406 BC) Nought from the Greeks towards me hath sped well

King Priam 1,200BC wished he'd not accepted gifts from the Greeks either.

Old thread, but I'm not suprised. For whatever reason most Greek people are strongly anti-British and I suspect most Greek Cypriots just take the lead from Athens these days.

To be honest, I'd expect Turkish Cypriots to be more pro-British than the Greeks. Most Greek Cypriots see the British as an occupying force. In fact, a couple of years ago a Communist government got elected in Cyprus on the "kick out the Brits" platform.

In general, I think anti-British attitudes are growing in Cyprus.

Originally Posted by madcow

it was also agreed £5 million a year for the bases, which a penny has never been paid. Most Cypriots remember the english soldiers sheilding the turks with their tanks and the english soldiers showing the turks in 1974 where to go.
old_n_fat said:
Did the UK have tanks in Cyprus in 1974? Genuinely don't know.
Only CVR(T) Scorpions I think, but to most strawbs they'd be tanks.
Saracens and saladins at that time

Also the brave Greek Cypriots did not only kill the Turkish Cypriot babies, they also killed the old and infirm who could not evacuate.

P.S. madcow is probably

... a mad cow!

Old thread, but I'm not suprised. For whatever reason most Greek people are strongly anti-British and I suspect most Greek Cypriots just take the lead from Athens these days.

To be honest, I'd expect Turkish Cypriots to be more pro-British than the Greeks. Most Greek Cypriots see the British as an occupying force. In fact, a couple of years ago a Communist government got elected in Cyprus on the "kick out the Brits" platform.

In general, I think anti-British attitudes are growing in Cyprus.
You do know the SBA's are British and not Cypriot don't you? So the bubbles can do one.

You do know the SBA's are British and not Cypriot don't you? So the bubbles can do one.
Yes, I am aware that technically they belong to us, but that doesn't stop them from thinking that we stole their land. I think some of the problem is a lot of Greeks/Greek Cypriots have left-leaning political tendencies and tend to be quite anti-American, and they see the SBAs as an extension of Anglo-American world dominance.

Old thread, but I'm not suprised. For whatever reason most Greek people are strongly anti-British and I suspect most Greek Cypriots just take the lead from Athens these days. To be honest, I'd expect Turkish Cypriots to be more pro-British than the Greeks. Most Greek Cypriots see the British as an occupying force. In fact, a couple of years ago a Communist government got elected in Cyprus on the "kick out the Brits" platform.In general, I think anti-British attitudes are growing in Cyprus.
When I was there in 1998 I had 15 Greek and Turkish Cypriot LEC's working for me, was invited to Greek weddings and over the border to meals out and other events and never saw any anti British hostilities until one Sunday when I was going to Kyrenia over in the North for a day out and had the Black Widows (Greek women protesters) trying to stop us going through Ledger palace cross point with a demonstration. Trying to ease tensions of my family being scared in the car as the 30 strong mob of mainly old female protesters screaming at our car as we tried to drive slowly through (with little help from the Greek border patrol as they had probably seen this most Sundays) Saw the UN Brits as we went through the checkpoint and enjoyed the day not thinking anything else about it till the next day my greek workers told me I had been on the news driving through the protest waving at the placard waving crowd with headlines of American selling his children to the Turkish. Quick check through our Ops officer to the British High commission that I hadn't caused an international incident we were told that they do it a lot of sundays. Saying that one incident in two years and the rest of the time both my Greek and Turkish workers got on very well and I was always treated with respect by them and their family and friends.

Agree with you on that one. The LECs, especially the older ones, never had a problem with each other.

What have the brits done to Cyprus, apart from clean drinking water, sewerage systems, a good civil service, driving on the correct side of the road etc?
But.. they still have to put used toilet paper in a bucket at the side of the pan.

What happens to it after that ?

Agree with you on that one. The LECs, especially the older ones, never had a problem with each other.
The worst locals, in my experience, were the Greek Cypriot car dealers - some very dodgy individuals amongst that lot!

The worst locals, in my experience, were the Greek Cypriot car dealers - some very dodgy individuals amongst that lot!
That's true. One tried to sell me one of these, very cheap:

I ended up at Harry's on the strip in Larnaca.

I couldn't help but notice that there was a distinct lack of women amongst the angry mob?......Is this simply a case of Tommy Atkins going down town to throw his muck up the local talent and then leaving the gate guard to deal with the cuckolded husbands and boyfriends?

In all seriousness, the Cypriots have no basis for a claim to the SBA's and from my visits to Cyprus as both servicemen and civie I've never come across any real anti British sentiment, they all listen to BFBS and support English footie teams for a start.

There is an element of Greek Cypriot opposition, usually involving Cypriot MP Marios Matsakis. The demo at the Akrotiri gate is a regular event, often peaceful, sometimes not.

There's much less bother at Dhekelia and Ay Nik and I agree the great majority of people are very hospitable.

There is an element of Greek Cypriot opposition, usually involving Cypriot MP Marios Matsakis. The demo at the Akrotiri gate is a regular event, often peaceful, sometimes not.

There's much less bother at Dhekelia and Ay Nik and I agree the great majority of people are very hospitable.
In my day, 96-98, we used to get the Cypriot bikers regularly demonstrating at Ay Nik, meaning we had to close off the perimeter gates. Was Matsakis the geezer leading the shows then? The name sounds familiar.