Five Brits kidnapped in Ethiopia.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Acoording to the press,the Herford Hooligans are on standy......

A Foreign Office "emergency action group" has arrived in Ethiopia to help locate five Britons feared kidnapped in a remote part of the country. The Britons - all members of staff from the UK embassy in the capital Addis Ababa - went missing in Dalol, a desert region 500 miles north-east of the capital. Sky News understands that 'special forces' personnel and negotiators are on stand-by in case a rescue mission is needed.

Some estimates say up to 18 people are still unaccounted for, including
    a number of French and Italian tourists.

The Foreign Office says Ethiopian authorities are doing all they can to ensure the situation is resolved peacefully.

The Britons are thought to be part of a group of Western tourists who disappeared while on a trip to look at geological sites.

A small rebel group is said to operate in the area and all visitors are required to travel with armed guards.

It is thought the missing tourists were travelling with two armed police.

Tony Blair has been informed of the kidnap reports and is being kept aware of developments, his spokesman said.

So El-Presidente bLair is being 'kpt informed'....
    Like he gives a f*ck!
  2. Are there not any geological sites where you don't require an armed guard that was obviously inadequate and the SAS don't have to called in?

Still, good job it's only a small rebel group though I don't see what their height has to do with things.
  3. Look on the bright side they will get a good book deal on their release, Also do you think that the rebel group will be asking for plane tickets back to Atlanta. They do know the civil war is over don’t they?
  4. Complete with yellow handbags?
  5. If there's no bergens left.
  6. Mmmmmmmmm - having my jabs next week for my trip out there in April - well, hopefully they will have got bored with kidnapping Brits (or scared to death by our Friends of the Earth) by the time I get out there...
  7. I really have no sympathy for these people. I know that seems a bit harsh, but these people should have been aware of the risks before they travelled and if not they are fools for not finding out.

I also think that people should be warned that if they intentionally put themselves in harms way when there is not need to the British Government sould not bail them out.

I feel the same about journo's and 'do gooders' in Iraq and Afghan if they get some incoming tough.

These situations often lead to some poor sod having to risk their bacon to dig the gits out of the shite.
  8. Have to admit, my behaviour whilst under Herf's influence may have been a little OTT at times..........
  9. The writing's on the wall cloudbuster.

Well at least in trap one.
  10. Looks like them are involved. Could be a few less Eritrean separatists soon.

Sky news
  11. By the time this stuff gets on the news, all the important deployments have already moved onto their stag pattern!
  12. You mean book deals signed and the first draft written?

Geology *rubs himself* - no finer pursuit worth ummm... pursuing...
  13. Are there enough of THEM to do the job? one would have thought all of them were otherwised engaged in afghafafafaaaaaiinistan, and Eyerack? are THEY still hunting PIFWIC's in FY?
  14. edited for my big chubby finngers hitting the 'send' button twice!!
  15. Don't they have to locate the tourists before the men in black launch themselves into action?

How about a Tornado with FLIR as was used to locate that downed civvie glider pilot in the wilds of Scotland last year?