Fitter RE or Vehicle Mechanic REME?

Tommy66
Hello,

I want to be a vehicle mechanic and have decided to join the Army. The problem is while I am interested in working on smaller vehicles such as Land Rovers, cars etc. My main interest is in plant machinery with hydraulics like diggers, tractors etc. I've read on another thread that it may be possible to work on these these things as a vehicle mechanic in the REME and that doing that I would get more time in the workshop.

I understand that that there is another trade, in the Royal Engineers called 'fitter' which seems to consist of working on more of what I'm more interested in. I don't necessarily mind being training in the combat engineering side of things as that seems like it could be fun. But having read a few threads online about the differences between the two it seems (and correct me if I'm wrong) that as a fitter you can be posted to a regiment where you don't work on your trade at all but just spend all your time focusing on combat engineering and sitting around.

Please let me know what you think is best.

Cheers,

In my experience, Fitters (with POMS) do use trade training (as long as there are vehicles to work on) - choose a regiment(s) with lots of plant, the POMs will break it for you!

IMHO - there would be more work of the type you prefer in REME.

Additionally,on your Discharge,you'll also have worked on the smaller stuff you mentioned - meaning you have 'TWO strings to your Bow' in Civdiv.

Are you sure about the hydraulics thing?

I spent a good few hours sweating like a bastard in 90 degree heat trying to get the access panels off my Bobcat excavator which shat a lake of hydraulic fluid this morning. I know it's not military plant, but the principles are the same.

Bolts on access panels rusted to shit, and that's just to get eyes on whatever's shit the bed. Then I've got to get the part out and repair it. In the field. No workshop, and if I want a tool that's not in the truck, it's 3 miles away. I gave in in the end. Try again tomorrow on the one bolt that's pissing me off.

By all means have at it, but be careful what you wish for, you might just get it :)

Are you sure about the hydraulics thing?

I spent a good few hours sweating like a bastard in 90 degree heat trying to get the access panels off my Bobcat excavator which shat a lake of hydraulic fluid this morning. I know it's not military plant, but the principles are the same.

Bolts on access panels rusted to shit, and that's just to get eyes on whatever's shit the bed. Then I've got to get the part out and repair it. In the field. No workshop, and if I want a tool that's not in the truck, it's 3 miles away. I gave in in the end. Try again tomorrow on the one bolt that's pissing me off.

By all means have at it, but be careful what you wish for, you might just get it :)
Haha, basically that’s the life of a POM. Sometime it’s warm and dry when everyone else is freezing... sometimes you are on the other side and smashing nuts off without the real equipment during extreme weather and improvising tools and repairs.