Fitter (General)

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by the_sting, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright,
    I'm wanting to join the Royal Engineers when I finish uni, thinking of the Equipment Mechanic (Fitter General) as my trade choice. I've read all the previous threads on trade choices and not much is said on this trade.
    I was wonderingif anyone has any experience of this trade or has any more information on it than is the army careers website or the booklet from the careers office. Also, what are the promotions like for this trade, because it sounds complicated from what other posts have said.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Geordie14

2. Ok, just to give a few facts here.

When you pass basic training and combat engineering you then go to Chatham to do the Fitter General course. The fitter general is basically a plant mechanic you will learn engines both diesel and petrol, transmission and suspension. You also learn Vehicle electrics, Pneumatics and a huge whack of Hydraulics. Then move onto working on bits of plant.

Once I completed mine I went to Germany, did my CET course(armoured digger) and then that’s what I mainly did as they need a lotta fixin, as a fitter it's the best thing to learn on. I then did a stint in a REME workshop fixing plant.

I also worked in an Engineer Construction Plant section in UK, after that just fixing smaller pieces of kit. At present I've just moved from being a fitter section commander to boat section commander for the rest of my present posting.

Not all fitters go this way, but hope it gives you an idea.

3. A good trade to have. You get your C+E, tracks and roller categories. The training is good and all things being well you should either end up in a support troop or a fitter section helping REME. Promotion is ok, totally depends on you as to when you get your first stripe. After that it is all down to the lottery that is records. Basically to get your first stripe you need to be a class 2 tradesman and class 2 combat engineer, corporal you need class 1 tradesman and class 2 combat engineer. Sergeant you need to have passed your Junior Command Course and education, Staff Sergeant you need to have passed you Royal Engineers SNCO course and Warrant Officer you need your education. For different trades this can change a bit, armoured engineers need to be class one in combat engineering, trade and armoured and preferably crew commander to get corporal.
    Ask Tricky Ricky about recruiting at the moment, I believe there is a shortfall in fitters and if you pass the course you get a bonus but best check with him on this.

4. Oh lord your not telling me that after the POM became a sniper we now have a General who was a fitter!!!! he he he :-D

5. I agree totally with what has been said so far, but did you say you are at Uni at the moment?

If you are studying for a degree then I would stick with that unless you are really keen to be a hands on fitter. Even then once you pass the rank of Corporal there is less chance of getting a trade post that allows you to keep on the tools. Once you reach Sergeant you will be in a middle management role and therefore won't get your hands on.

Don't get me wrong Fitter is a fantastic trade and if you want to get dirty working on large plant equipment in some odd places around the world then go for it.

6. Yeah I'm studying Geography. Thanks for the replies, I wasn't to sure what the fitter did, because on the careers website it is down as an Equipment Mechanic so I thought it might be generally repairing all equipment rather than just plant equipment. I first looked at vehicle mechanic (because I have an intrest in cars/engines) but isn't that REME?

The careers officer said I should do a geographical/surveying trade because of my degree, but I want something hands on and different from what i've just done for 3 years.

Thanks again for the replies.

7. Fitters do C (plant) vehicles, engineer construction plant such as concrete mixers and power tools. You do mainly diesel engines as a fitter. Join the Corps rather than REME. Dual traded as a minimum, it's not uncommon for guys to be class one in 3 or more trades now.

8. Yeah I really want to the Corps rather than the REME. So if I was trained as a fitter after a while could I do another trade as well? Also, how combat engineering do you get to do as a fitter?
    Sorry about all the questions.

10. It all depends you could still end up in a field section putting orange poles around cardboard mines, but personaly I've managed to do the blowing sh1t up side of combat engineering quite a lot and not so much of the latter. As a fitter it is very hard, if not impossible to get you class 1 Cbt Engineering. I have tried 4 or 5 times and been told "Fitters aren't allowed to do it".

You will find out "WHEN" you join the glorious Corps you have the option to do lots of different and varying tasks.

11. The army is savagely short of fitters. You do get taught petrol engines and car stuff, transmissions etc as it is a foundation for the harder plant stuff. As has been said its mostly diesel in the army though!

Fitters also inspect mismech, power tools, generators etc.

12. We also roll CET's, set CET's on fire, drop 6 ton engines on our fingers, set fire to our covies, get to sleep under bedfords with our spanner hand tied to the prop shaft, knock ourselves out on backhoes, blow holes in concrete with Grader air tank drain valves and burn eyebrows off occasionally.

Or that could just be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. It think that's just you. Although I do know a couple of guys who were threaders being on a CET on exercise so parked up in the woods, covered the air intake and fans, set the revs to full blast and waited for the thing to catch fire!

14. Jeez with such skills you should have been a plant op mate, we manage to bend ADR compactor jibs whilst folding them, drain Hymac 590 hydraulic tanks from a 2" drain plug into a 1/2" funnel, Empty Muirhill hydraulic tanks into German washdown points whilst inflating the tyres weld our wedding rings to spanners whilst tightening up battery clamps, get hung by the back of your Cbt jacket on Muirhill handbrake levers whilst dismounting........or was that just me?? :D