Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i'm new on here so forgive me if i get anything wrong. I want to join the Army and am putting it off because i know i'm not fit enough. Can anyone recommend me any good exercises i can do to get my fitness up and prepare. Also any other tips before joining would be great! CHEERS!

2. Join a local boxing club and dont mong it in there try training like the ones there that train hard and look the best doesnt mean u hav 2 spar with them just train and u'll be fit in no time :D

do running round a park or anywhere as long as you push yourself and do it 2 - 3 times a week go easy at first remember :!:

3. You're about to get slated from all directions and you will probably get pointed in the direction of the search function, but just do some running and body weight exercises and you'll be fine. Theres a fitness program on the TA website which will get you a good base and you can then increase your training from there. Its all common sense. Other than that, good luck.

Take cover, incoming!!!

4. LINK

5. search function
    army web site
    common sense
    gym
    improvise
    google
    etc etc

6. run, run, run, run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run.

7. Would running help too?

8. press-ups, sit-ups, running, and a bit of weight training is all I've been doing. Pretty simple really.

For the first week or two do 100 press-ups & sit-ups a day, then the third week 150 of each per day, then 200 each day etc. That's what I've been doing and I find it well easy now.

Running... use google maps to plan your routes, I'd stick to say 2 miles until you can do that comfortably, before bothering with longer runs. Once a week do that fartlek crap, legging it for a min, jog for 30 second, leg it for a minute, jog for 30 seconds etc.

9. Does anyone know how 2 get FIT and what is this thing called running yous are on about how does that help.

please reply as i wish 2 get fit and join the SAS some time soon. :twisted:

10. Then run some more? :p

11. run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run,run, run, run.

12. My edit....

have you got your own black and nasty? then you're in! fine intelligent chap like you, would think 'THEY' would rip an arm off for you to join!

Or was it just rip your arm off? I always get that mixed up!

13. [​IMG]

14. Take it slow. Its better to go for a slow jog practically at walking speed for 10 - 15 mins, than to run too fast have to stop after 2 - 3. You need to find a nice slow pace that you can maintain. Get that up to a minimum half hour non-stop jog at a slow pace then you can start to work on your speed. At the same time you can start to increasing the amount of time you're running for.

Start slow, it took me months to realise this and as a result ive made more progress in the last month than i had in the last four.

Good luck.

15. British Military Fitness all the way

bmf