Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

fitness

J-L-C

Swinger
I've just started running locally and using the treadmill at the gym on the same day. i'm also doing sit ups twice daily for 2 mins each time to see how many i can do. is their anything else i need to do to get fit and ready for selection? I'm waiting for my brother to get back from Germany, he's in the REME, so that i can get started on doing 1.5 mile runs, but don't wanna sit around on my arrse until he gets back in 4 weeks. any fitness advice would be appreciated and any sarcastic comments cos i love those! :D

Press ups and try running 1.5 with out him lunges re also good jsut follow whats on the army website for fitness..

Doing circuits has been good for me (fun aswell) i.e

Sprint for 10secs;
20 Pushups;
Sprint back;
20 Squats ... Quick rest

Repeat but switch it up a bit, maybe change squats to burpees and pushups to situps etc...
You get the idea

hey, i noticed your pic in the gallery. I also made that mistake lol not realising it would show up that publicy i thought it would come up on my profile bit but never mind.

Any way, i passed selection on 21st and 22nd of feb, it was the best 2 days of my life, i wish you lots of luck with yours.

My advice is just to do a range of everything, to be a good runner you have to have a strong body so its good to work on your core strength, try things like pliates they are very effective in making all the muscles in your body strong. You just have to do a mixture of strength training and cardiovascular!

Treadmill isnt very good for improving your runtime you should try and run outside as much as possible.

Where are you going for your selection??

Colleen x

colleeny2k8 said:
hey, i noticed your pic in the gallery. I also made that mistake lol not realising it would show up that publicy i thought it would come up on my profile bit but never mind.

Any way, i passed selection on 21st and 22nd of feb, it was the best 2 days of my life, i wish you lots of luck with yours.

My advice is just to do a range of everything, to be a good runner you have to have a strong body so its good to work on your core strength, try things like pliates they are very effective in making all the muscles in your body strong. You just have to do a mixture of strength training and cardiovascular!

Treadmill isnt very good for improving your runtime you should try and run outside as much as possible.

Where are you going for your selection??

Colleen x

it will be pirbright. thanks for all your advice...and yeah putting my pic up was a mistake but i don't really care what anyone thinks! well done for passing selection! what are you going in as?

J-L-C I know that reference to the army website for fitness advice has been made but have you tried looking at the 16week training programme produced by the army advertised in the Guardian website 'The official British army fitness test'.
General advice; get out there, running outside is better that treadmill, you dont really need the gym, your body-weight is good enough to train with. variety in your exercise wide-arm press-up, incline,decline and narrow arm e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/armyfitness

i'm going in the QURANCS as a nurse :D can't wait!

Yeah i don't really care but i cant help but argue back lol, its pretty amusing but annoying at the same time.

Do you have a date for selection yet??

Have you decided what your going to go in as??

Colleen.

colleeny2k8 said:
i'm going in the QURANCS as a nurse :D can't wait!

Yeah i don't really care but i cant help but argue back lol, its pretty amusing but annoying at the same time.

Do you have a date for selection yet??

Have you decided what your going to go in as??

Colleen.

no i don't have a selection date yet. I'm hoping to go in as a combat medical technician

Sussex said:
J-L-C I know that reference to the army website for fitness advice has been made but have you tried looking at the 16week training programme produced by the army advertised in the Guardian website 'The official British army fitness test'.
General advice; get out there, running outside is better that treadmill, you dont really need the gym, your body-weight is good enough to train with. variety in your exercise wide-arm press-up, incline,decline and narrow arm e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/armyfitness

thanks for your help! I'm definately going to do the 16 week fitness programme. yeah i've started running outside now, thanks again for all your help!

J-L-C said:
I've just started running locally and using the treadmill at the gym on the same day. i'm also doing sit ups twice daily for 2 mins each time to see how many i can do. is their anything else i need to do to get fit and ready for selection? I'm waiting for my brother to get back from Germany, he's in the REME, so that i can get started on doing 1.5 mile runs, but don't wanna sit around on my arrse until he gets back in 4 weeks. any fitness advice would be appreciated and any sarcastic comments cos i love those! :D

Whats your 1.5 mile time?