fitness

#1
I've just started running locally and using the treadmill at the gym on the same day. i'm also doing sit ups twice daily for 2 mins each time to see how many i can do. is their anything else i need to do to get fit and ready for selection? I'm waiting for my brother to get back from Germany, he's in the REME, so that i can get started on doing 1.5 mile runs, but don't wanna sit around on my arrse until he gets back in 4 weeks. any fitness advice would be appreciated and any sarcastic comments cos i love those! :D
 
#2
Press ups and try running 1.5 with out him lunges re also good jsut follow whats on the army website for fitness..
 
#4
Doing circuits has been good for me (fun aswell) i.e

Sprint for 10secs;
20 Pushups;
Sprint back;
20 Squats ... Quick rest

Repeat but switch it up a bit, maybe change squats to burpees and pushups to situps etc...
You get the idea
 
#6
hey, i noticed your pic in the gallery. I also made that mistake lol not realising it would show up that publicy i thought it would come up on my profile bit but never mind.

Any way, i passed selection on 21st and 22nd of feb, it was the best 2 days of my life, i wish you lots of luck with yours.

My advice is just to do a range of everything, to be a good runner you have to have a strong body so its good to work on your core strength, try things like pliates they are very effective in making all the muscles in your body strong. You just have to do a mixture of strength training and cardiovascular!

Treadmill isnt very good for improving your runtime you should try and run outside as much as possible.

Where are you going for your selection??

Colleen x
 
#7
colleeny2k8 said:
hey, i noticed your pic in the gallery. I also made that mistake lol not realising it would show up that publicy i thought it would come up on my profile bit but never mind.

Any way, i passed selection on 21st and 22nd of feb, it was the best 2 days of my life, i wish you lots of luck with yours.

My advice is just to do a range of everything, to be a good runner you have to have a strong body so its good to work on your core strength, try things like pliates they are very effective in making all the muscles in your body strong. You just have to do a mixture of strength training and cardiovascular!

Treadmill isnt very good for improving your runtime you should try and run outside as much as possible.

Where are you going for your selection??

Colleen x
it will be pirbright. thanks for all your advice...and yeah putting my pic up was a mistake but i don't really care what anyone thinks! well done for passing selection! what are you going in as?
 
#8
J-L-C I know that reference to the army website for fitness advice has been made but have you tried looking at the 16week training programme produced by the army advertised in the Guardian website 'The official British army fitness test'.
General advice; get out there, running outside is better that treadmill, you dont really need the gym, your body-weight is good enough to train with. variety in your exercise wide-arm press-up, incline,decline and narrow arm e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/armyfitness
 
#9
i'm going in the QURANCS as a nurse :D can't wait!

Yeah i don't really care but i cant help but argue back lol, its pretty amusing but annoying at the same time.

Do you have a date for selection yet??

Have you decided what your going to go in as??

Colleen.
 
#10
colleeny2k8 said:
i'm going in the QURANCS as a nurse :D can't wait!

Yeah i don't really care but i cant help but argue back lol, its pretty amusing but annoying at the same time.

Do you have a date for selection yet??

Have you decided what your going to go in as??

Colleen.
no i don't have a selection date yet. I'm hoping to go in as a combat medical technician
 
#11
colleeny2k8 said:
i'm going in the QURANCS as a nurse :D can't wait!
.

???? :roll:
 
#12
Sussex said:
J-L-C I know that reference to the army website for fitness advice has been made but have you tried looking at the 16week training programme produced by the army advertised in the Guardian website 'The official British army fitness test'.
General advice; get out there, running outside is better that treadmill, you dont really need the gym, your body-weight is good enough to train with. variety in your exercise wide-arm press-up, incline,decline and narrow arm e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/armyfitness
thanks for your help! I'm definately going to do the 16 week fitness programme. yeah i've started running outside now, thanks again for all your help!
 
#13
J-L-C said:
I've just started running locally and using the treadmill at the gym on the same day. i'm also doing sit ups twice daily for 2 mins each time to see how many i can do. is their anything else i need to do to get fit and ready for selection? I'm waiting for my brother to get back from Germany, he's in the REME, so that i can get started on doing 1.5 mile runs, but don't wanna sit around on my arrse until he gets back in 4 weeks. any fitness advice would be appreciated and any sarcastic comments cos i love those! :D
Whats your 1.5 mile time?
 
#16
5.56mm said:
J-L-C said:
I've just started running locally and using the treadmill at the gym on the same day. i'm also doing sit ups twice daily for 2 mins each time to see how many i can do. is their anything else i need to do to get fit and ready for selection? I'm waiting for my brother to get back from Germany, he's in the REME, so that i can get started on doing 1.5 mile runs, but don't wanna sit around on my arrse until he gets back in 4 weeks. any fitness advice would be appreciated and any sarcastic comments cos i love those! :D
Whats your 1.5 mile time?
So you will wait 4 weeks for morale support from your brother? he isnt joining for you mate, you need to get out there and motivate yourself, its your application ;)

At this stage, just get out and run 1.5 miles, we dont need you doing any further than that, we need you to demonstrate 1.5 miles at 100% best effort!

Once you have passed selection then is the time to really start getting "time on your feet" ;)

lots of press ups, sit-ups and heaves, get used to holding/walking with 20kg in each hand.

Personnally as a recruiter, also an ex PTI, i would suggest that you should be doing at least 3 times a week at the moment (i get mine to start training over 1.5 miles immediately after completing the BARB phase).

Selection is a basic standard, its after that you need to prepare for Phase 1, where i would advise working to get your run time down below 10.30 so the impact of PT is lessened ;)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
9 The Training Wing 1
PartTimePongo AGC, RAPTC and SASC 1
P Army Reserve 57

Similar threads

Top