fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pablo:), Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. alright lads, i'm new to this so i've got about 105 questions to ask but i'll just start with a few! i've done my knee playing football and can't run. i'm manageing a 2 mile run once a week, dont get out of breath but knee kills. so whats best for helping me keep up my fitness? i'm also doing 2 hours boxing and circuits a week and i'm at the gym twice a day.... :? rowing and cross sking. i am due to go bassingbourn 2 weeks? do you think my fitness will be ok? DONE :D

2. hey mate.. your fitness sounds good fine.. but keep training, good to keep you hand in, dont wanna lose the fitness level you have gained..

but i would def go see your doctor about you knee, i hurt mine by over-training at the gym, i inflamed it, but i kept training for 4 months, it got to the point where i hurt to walk upstairs, after 5 months of rest it felt alot better... I had acupuncture when it stopped hurting and had rested it for 5 months and that worked great..
    so dont be a fool like me, and train for 4 months knowing it hurts, coz it will not get better on its own, i know.. i prayed, wished, hoped, but anti-inflammatory drugs were my answer...

i know its different for all.. but if you look after your body, then you body will look after you..

i know its not what pple ever wanna hear, but its for the best in the long run

jim

3. That kind of depends on what distances you're covering during your run and how well you're keeping up with the boxing.

Hard to tell with the other things as they're easy to adjust the resistance on.

4. If you are off in two weeks I would suggest that you stick to low impact exercise like cycling or swimming to allow your knee to get better (mines causing me problems at the mo' too, and its killing me not running, but I know that rest is best (that, deep heat and max safe doses of Brufen ). Good luck :)

5. [/quote]

That kind of depends on what distances you're covering during your run and how well you're keeping up with the boxing.

Hard to tell with the other things as they're easy to adjust the resistance on.[/quote]

15 min row then 10 cross ski then 10 bike everyday. then on two days i add boxing then on two days i add a curcuit. but do the weights on my second gym session? the resistance on the rower is 10 but on the cross skier and the bike its prob 6 out of 12 seeming as cross sking is solid! any ideas? or?????

6. cheers lads. still any tips would go a long way :D

7. That kind of depends on what distances you're covering during your run and how well you're keeping up with the boxing.

Hard to tell with the other things as they're easy to adjust the resistance on.[/quote]

15 min row then 10 cross ski then 10 bike everyday. then on two days i add boxing then on two days i add a curcuit. but do the weights on my second gym session? the resistance on the rower is 10 but on the cross skier and the bike its prob 6 out of 12 seeming as cross sking is solid! any ideas? or?????[/quote]

Time is ok until you can complete it without resting.
    Then you need to gauge HR, time and distance covered (for example, day one you can cover 5k in 20 minutes with a HR of 170, by day 30, you can cover the same distance in 18 minutes at a average HR of 165).

8. right got ya mate. all that stuff confuses me in the gym, i just want get in and get it done i prob have 30 secs rest in between moving from each thing. is your recovery rate important? i think mines ok, but thats going off not panting like a dog afterwards. would hat not be a good guide to go by?

9. When asking about how to avoid knee injuries in the past I have been told that exercises such as squats (snigger!) and single leg squats are good for strengthening and conditioning the muscles around the knee, and others that are used during running, so that they are more resiliant during high impact exercise. It would be easy enough to throw a couple sets of single leg squats into your gym routine and may help prevent further injury.

Also, back to basics, do you warm up properly before running? there are some funny warm ups that I have seen so it really is open season for whatever takes your fancy! if you are into your boxing I suggest a few minutes on the skipping rope before you set of on your run.

10. As I said, recovery rate is a factor of fitness.

11. When I used to squat I never picked up any injuries.

Then I stopped, had a rest for a few months overall and took up running again.
    A few months later, ITB.
    Took a break, took up rehab squatting and haven't have a issue again now I've introduced running again.
    Although I suffered from plantar fasciitis and that's though a lack of stretching.

12. thanks lads.appreciate any tips you can give me cause is worrying me now abit! although since buying a pair of DECENT running shoes theres been a bit of a difference

13. Have you been to see your doctor yet?

14. yeah they refered me to the hospital and they said i've torn some ligaments in my knee, this was 3 week ago. i was just told stay off it and if it persists, go back up. but as i'm starting training in 2 weeks its not worth what they goin tell me as i guess its what they said before, " stay off it ". it's eased abit but its still there and i'm worried the ammount of running in the army is going to make it worse? ...... if i stay away from the running for 2 weeks,,,,,,and just add swimming to my running,biking and rowing will that help? thanks

15. also lads do you know if you can take protein to phase 1 training?