Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness today vs yesterday

Niamac

GCM
In the Army I could never see the sense in running 3 miles when there was a perfectly good Land Rover and driver available. Quicker and more comfortable.

Seriously the continuous improvement in sports records is the result of better nutrition, training, technique etc. Sadly it is confined to a very small fraction of the population. The majority of the rest are too fat and too inactive. I was in the University gym and was impressed by the amount of training going on. Not so my companion; "It's all about the body beautiful".

I do not know how present day infantrymen can be expected to carry the amount of kit but it is an old story.

Scan_20200307 (2).png

Sorry, used this before but it's a good point.

I joined in 81 and it was already 1.5 miles squadded (walk and run in 15 minutes) followed by 1.5 miles ‘individual best effort’ in no more than 11.5 minutes for men under 30. The main change that had recently happened was (I believe) to drop a requirement to get over a 6’ wall, because of the logistics of having a suitable wall to hand in some places.

By the end of the 80s they had changed it to run in trainers, but also reducing the time. 11.5 minutes became 10.5 minutes, for example.

The STABS though had a simple 3-mile best individual effort BFT that IIRC was a minute longer than the regular one.

Over the same period CFT changed from 10 miles to 8 miles IIRC, again with a reduction of time allowed.

You also got more BFT time if you were older. If I was doing a BFT now they’d measure my time with a calendar.

Someone told me that at the time of the swap from DMS to trainers for BFT was just as he turned 30, the result was instead of getting 30 more seconds for the second part he ended up with 30 seconds less. He mentioned that the trainers didn't give a minute's worth of advantage over DMS though.

Last edited:
The Infantry 2 miler sorted out the men from the boys - 35lb webbing, rifle and helmet, under 18 mins. Still retains the title of THE hardest physical test I ever undertook ( and there were a few )

Last edited:

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Someone told me that at the time of the swap from DMS to trainers for BFT was just as he turned 30, the result was instead of getting 30 more for the second part he ended up with 30 seconds less. He mentioned that the trainers didn't give a minute's worth of advantage over DMS though.

I seem to remember Dad always did his BFT wearing DMS Boots and Lightweights (he left in 1990). He didn't agree with the changeover to Trainers.

Because the first 1.5 miles was run as a squad in 15 minutes.
How long did that leave you for the other 1.5 miles?

Not 15 minutes, 12 maybe, done as a squad - irrespective of age.
It was just a warm up.
The second lap was best effort - and there were 3 or 4 pass/fail times related to age.

I think people in general are fitter.

Better healthcare, better food, more awareness of health, implications of smoking, drink etc.

Just look at how standards for sporting events improve over time.

The current world record for the 1500m run is nearly 30 seconds faster than it was 1912.
Not now

If you say so, I can't be arsed arguing with you - I know what I did - maybe it was different at your unit. Also Maybe you want to read this post as some other people did the same test as me.

Go on, laugh at me defending @mrdude, but he's absolutely correct - it was the Tickle Test, as opposed to the BFT. Three miles, individual best effort.

We've argued over this one before...

The Infantry 2 miler sorted out the men from the boys - 35lb webbing, rifle and helmet, under 18 mins. Still retains the title of THE hardest physical test I ever undertook ( and there were few )

I've got vague (and painful) memories of the "Brecon Two-miler" aka "Stamina Assessment Test"?

It takes me longer to masturbate now I'm older, when I was a 'young un' I used to be able to knock one out in a few minutes - now it take about twice as long. I'm not as fit today as I was yesterday - too many pies and lack of exercise if i'm honest.
As for running, a BFT was 3 miles in boots & lightweights - I used to do it in about 18 minutes, I'm not sure what the average recruit if they had to wear that instead of shorts and trainers would do it in.
I think you missed the first 3 miles, otherwise you would be on remedials

Many differences in tests over the years. Late 60s and early 70s was simply the 10 mile bash, full kit and webbing followed by a carry, 6 ft wall scaling and carrying a couple of jerry cans a hundred yards.
Then the BFT which was originally 2 miles squadded (can't remember the times) and 1 mile run in a certain time. That only lasted a year or two and changed to 1.5 and 1.5 in boots.

Like @Dwarf I hated the squadded bit as my little legs meant I kept dropping back and having to trot to catch up. At a certain age you were given the option of the 1.5 and 1.5 or the 3 miles on your own.
Stationed up at Troodos (about 6,000 ft up) the PTI used to come up and, if we got the round the 3 mile mountain trail without collapsing, never bothered about the time. Still in bloody boots, though.

On my very last BFT (or whatever initial they changed it to) at age 46, I stopped half way round for a chat with an old mate who used to be in the mob. Still got in on time so must have been yonks allowed then.

Now, at 71, I did mention I did a 10k charity run about 6 weeks or so ago. Quite proud I managed to run (slowly amble to be honest) without stopping. Trouble is, backs of my legs are still giving me gyp even after 6 weeks.

During the amble, my back was giving me more trouble than my legs.

I joined in 81 and it was already 1.5 miles squadded (walk and run in 15 minutes) followed by 1.5 miles ‘individual best effort’ in no more than 11.5 minutes for men under 30. The main change that had recently happened was (I believe) to drop a requirement to get over a 6’ wall, because of the logistics of having a suitable wall to hand in some places.

By the end of the 80s they had changed it to run in trainers, but also reducing the time. 11.5 minutes became 10.5 minutes, for example.

The STABS though had a simple 3-mile best individual effort BFT that IIRC was a minute longer than the regular one.

Over the same period CFT changed from 10 miles to 8 miles IIRC, again with a reduction of time allowed.

You also got more BFT time if you were older. If I was doing a BFT now they’d measure my time with a calendar.
I did TA about 1989 to 1996 and we did the BFT and CFT as described for the regulars. Two part BFT in 10.30. I bet the fitness levels for the reserve as is has gone way up.

The Infantry 2 miler sorted out the men from the boys - 35lb webbing, rifle and helmet, under 18 mins. Still retains the title of THE hardest physical test I ever undertook ( and there were a few )
I think that was the one we did on All Arms P Company at Aldershot. Not being Infantry I had not done it before. It wasn't part of the P Company tests but it was on par. I think the pass time for P Company was 15 minutes but I am not sure. It wasn't a tab like the 10 miler but a straight run with all your kit as described if you wanted to complete it in time.

Many differences in tests over the years. Late 60s and early 70s was simply the 10 mile bash, full kit and webbing followed by a carry, 6 ft wall scaling and carrying a couple of jerry cans a hundred yards.
Funny enough, all the big fat pie eating alcholic knackers had no problem passing that test. They prided themselves on doing little exercise, but once a year they would put on their 37 pattern webbing with small pack and carrying THAT rifle complete the 10 mile bash in the time allowed. I think they changed over to the three mile run BFT in about 1974 and a lot of them failed the tests because they couldn't run.

I always thought the old 10 miler was a better test of a soldiers ability than a three mile run even though I had no problem with either, having always been a runner.

I think that was the one we did on All Arms P Company at Aldershot. Not being Infantry I had not done it before. It wasn't part of the P Company tests but it was on par. I think the pass time for P Company was 15 minutes but I am not sure. It wasn't a tab like the 10 miler but a straight run with all your kit as described if you wanted to complete it in time.
Was the start point not in the carpark by the canal, and then funnelled onto the tow-path, making it hard to get past anyone and a bit of a melee?

Was the start point not in the carpark by the canal, and then funnelled onto the tow-path, making it hard to get past anyone and a bit of a melee?
I can't really remember but I think it was on the main road opposite Browning Barracks. I was near the front anyway, much to my suprise!

Latest Threads