Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness today vs yesterday

Because the first 1.5 miles was run as a squad in 15 minutes.
How long did that leave you for the other 1.5 miles?

Funnily enough, at 55, I just turned in 14:13 for the fist 1.5 miles and 14:28 for the second. Quite pleased with that for an old fart. Wouldnt want to do it in a pair of Boots Combat High though - not at my age anyway.

Just off to do a quick three miler

Because the first 1.5 miles was run as a squad in 15 minutes.
How long did that leave you for the other 1.5 miles?
It was 3 miles in the early 80's and it was in lightweights and boots. It changed not long before the 90's to a 1.5 mile in a squad and 1.5 mile individual time - with trainers.

Still I'm not going to argue with you - I used to do the 3 miles in boots in around 18 minutes.

It was 3 miles in the early 80's and it was in lightweights and boots. It changed not long before the 90's to a 1.5 mile in a squad and 1.5 mile individual time - with trainers.

Still I'm not going to argue with you - I used to do the 3 miles in boots in around 18 minutes.
In the eighties, it was 1.5 miles as a squad in boots and lightweights. Followed immediately by a further 1.5 miles best effort.
Good job you're not going to argue because you're talking bollocks.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
In the eighties, it was 1.5 miles as a squad in boots and lightweights. Followed immediately by a further 1.5 miles best effort.
That's certainly my recollection from 1977 onwards, at least. 11:30 bogey time for under-30s in boots, a minute trimmed off all bogey times once we started doing it in daps - early 90s or thereabouts?

If you say so, I can't be arsed arguing with you - I know what I did - maybe it was different at your unit. Also Maybe you want to read this post as some other people did the same test as me.

I joined in 81 and it was already 1.5 miles squadded (walk and run in 15 minutes) followed by 1.5 miles ‘individual best effort’ in no more than 11.5 minutes for men under 30. The main change that had recently happened was (I believe) to drop a requirement to get over a 6’ wall, because of the logistics of having a suitable wall to hand in some places.

By the end of the 80s they had changed it to run in trainers, but also reducing the time. 11.5 minutes became 10.5 minutes, for example.

The STABS though had a simple 3-mile best individual effort BFT that IIRC was a minute longer than the regular one.

Over the same period CFT changed from 10 miles to 8 miles IIRC, again with a reduction of time allowed.

You also got more BFT time if you were older. If I was doing a BFT now they’d measure my time with a calendar.

Late 80's was 1.5 squaded run, 1.5 best effort. Boots & lightweights.

CFT was a 10 miler and at the end climb into the back of a 4 Tonner, get (fall) back out again, firemans carry for a bit, my mind tells me there was something else like a jerry can carry or ditch jump, but for the fog of time...

Changed not long after to trainers for the BFT and 8 miles for the CFT.

Every one I ran and timed from 1980 to 1991 was a squadded 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, and 1.5 miles individual.

Late 80's was 1.5 squaded run, 1.5 best effort. Boots & lightweights.

CFT was a 10 miler and at the end climb into the back of a 4 Tonner, get (fall) back out again, firemans carry for a bit, my mind tells me there was something else like a jerry can carry or ditch jump, but for the fog of time...

Changed not long after to trainers for the BFT and 8 miles for the CFT.
Certainly in 1979 when I joined up the BFT was 15 mins squadded 1.5 miles followed by a 1.5 mile best effort. the only time I did it differently was on a pre- selection course run by ITU (UKLF) at Pirbright when it was a 11 minute squadded 1.5 miles followed by 1.5 miles best effort - that sorted a few folks out I can tell you. I still managed 8 mins 15 secs which was my best ever time, extraordinary as my time when I joined up used to be around 10 mins 30 secs, the benefits of ditching the weed!

CFT was always 8 miles, the 10 miler was called the APE test or something - only ever did it as RMAS.

Can barely make it to the end of the street now ;-)

Certainly in 1979 when I joined up the BFT was 15 mins squadded 1.5 miles followed by a 1.5 mile best effort. the only time I did it differently was on a pre- selection course run by ITU (UKLF) at Pirbright when it was a 11 minute squadded 1.5 miles followed by 1.5 miles best effort - that sorted a few folks out I can tell you. I still managed 8 mins 15 secs which was my best ever time, extraordinary as my time when I joined up used to be around 10 mins 30 secs, the benefits of ditching the weed!

CFT was always 8 miles, the 10 miler was called the APE test or something - only ever did it as RMAS.

Can barely make it to the end of the street now ;-)
IIRC, the original CFT was indeed an 8 mile speed march in weighted CEFO, it was then changed around 87/89 to a 3 mile timed squadded run in weighted CEFO. The 10 miler you refer to was completed in CEMO, as a timed speed march.

IIRC, the original CFT was indeed an 8 mile speed march in weighted CEFO, it was then changed around 87/89 to a 3 mile timed squadded run in weighted CEFO. The 10 miler you refer to was completed in CEMO, as a timed speed march.
I think the 3 miler was only used if you were time or space constrained in doing 8 miles. I seem to remember that a normal CFT was 3.5 circuits of HMP Maze or something similar!

Dwarf

LE
In the 80s I did both, the squad then individual and the three mile straight individual run. Having not the longest of legs I much preferred the straight three miler without them sticking some lanky twäts at the front and me having to match their step in a squad.

On All Arms P Company in 1983 the CFT was a three mile run with webbing, 301b in bergen, para helmet, denim jacket, lightweights, boots and puttees. But the big advantage we had over modern times was that we were also carrying THAT rifle.

Latest Threads