fitness tips?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jason Dodd, Oct 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys n girls, I just got my intake date today for phase 1 gladly but im now wondering what sort of training i should do prior to going to phase 1.

Currently im just doing general gym work + running.

I would like to be prepared before going so good tips are very welcome :)

2. Try improving what you're shit at.

3. i did but there wasn't much on what im looking for.

i want to know things relevant to phase 1 n in the future phase 2

should i start some tabbing with weights?

is there a certain area like cardio work i should concentrate on?

if your going to post worthless comments and be a complete TARD about it then dont bother... im looking for advice and looking upto those who've been and done service...

i dont know what im shit at ive got no program i stick to i just go to the gym and run its a simple as that.

4. How good are you at running? What's you'r 1.5 mile time? (bearing in mind that the pre-run warm up should already have you sweating)

5. Your acio should have some literature on the subject. I'm surprised they've not given you anything. The fact you've got an intake date leads me to assume you've passed initial recruit selection and should therefore have an idea what's expected of you.

You also didn't say what arm you're joining. Basic fitness levels are the same to start with (unless you're going para/cdo) so just keep up what you're doing. Cardio (running and swimming) and some strength (weights, push ups/sit ups, etc) training should keep you ticking over. All training should be progressive so don't overdo it or you'll **** yourself up.

Edited to add: ****. On reading the thread again I think I've just been wah'd.

6. Currently 9.11
    was 8.34

7. That's not a bad time. But keep working on it.

Try running 5, then 8 miles.

8. Sorry urm im going in for Royal Artillery, selection I can honestly say didn't feel like a test the physicals id expect a 14 year old to be able to carry out. im 22 coming up 23 in feb.

looking on the MOD website there is a very small section on there but seems rather light training (i think its for preparation for selection).

9. Just work on your general fitness, dont tab in boots or weight yet as you can easily get injured then never get in the Army. Just continue on the Getting fit for the Army brochure you would of been given when you first started the process. Ive see a number of Potential Recruits due to start ATR getting injured by doing too much prior to their start date and then get Med discharged in their first few weeks so as said no serious stuff, your PTIs will do build up training in your first few weeks then you will be back down closer to the 8 minute mark.

10. when I started phase 1 there were very few people with that run time and you dont run more than 6 miles in phase 1, however everithying is progresive, so the main thing is- do not get injured .

11. There weren't?! You don't?!

Saying that, you're not allowed to carry your bergan on the 1st exercise anymore either.

12. it's all about building slowly. When exercising you don't just strengthen your muscles, you strengthen bones, cartilage, tendons, the whole package.

Try lengthening the distances, slowly, if you run 3 miles every day and then bust a gut to do 12, you're gonna be fecked for days, and at worst, injured. Just add a couple of miles once a week to your regular run.

Try and run on different surfaces, after a long run on the road i feel it alot more than if i just do laps around my local park (measured on google earth of course. 1 lap is 1.62 miles) Treadmills are bad, running outdoors is far more effective.

You could practice walking with weight if you want, however, make sure you have a proper rucksack from a back packing store that fits you well. Wear proper socks and decent walking boots that support your ankles, and start with low weight. It gets you used to the strain on your shoulders (i was in pain while backpacking for the first week or so (carrying about 20k's) but got used to it eventually. I wouldn't advise running with any weight, it will strain your joints and not really that beneficial.

Vary the running route you do. Your body will condition itself if you do the same route over and over again. Mix it up over the week, do a heavy run, say over hills, followed by a light run on flattish ground. If you do this your body won't think "holy crap whats going on here" when you get beasted or doing heavy pt.

Swimming is great, it gives your joints a good rest, i actually find it makes running easier. Increases lung capacity and is the best way to work out following running.

Cycling, again, is good fun. You can work it into your regime quite easily (if you have a bike of course) easy on the joints and really effective if you do hill reps or fartlek. This is the next best thing to do after swimming

sry for the wall o' text, probably should have pm'd you, oh well.

cheers

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

14. I'm starting catterick on 22nd jan and obviously want to keep my fitness up until I go. With the weather getting worse over the winter I don't really want to run with trainers when it's Icy incase of causing injury. So will running in combat boots cause more injury than its worth?

15. Stick to a decent pair of well fitted off road trainers - running on ice in boots is a bit daft if you're not used to it. Avoid the ice roads if you can and stick to running machines or decent tracks.