fitness test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by straggler, Oct 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been given my appointment for the Recruit Selection Course and it's two months away. It says the fitness test is running a mile and a half in less than 14 minutes. I used to be a regular runner and generally quite fit but due to work issues (and laziness, if I'm honest!) my fitness has slipped quite a bit. If I start training right now should I have a problem with the run? Are there any other fitness tests?

Any other tips for the interview etc?

Thanks all - it's 20 years since I left the regulars and I've forgotten nhow it all works!

2. 20 years since you left the Regs and ur now on a Recruit Selection Course!!!!!! For what.... the Chelsea pensioners. :?

3. You will have 2 x tests in which you have a number of press-ups in two minutes dependant on your age followed by a number of sit-ups in the same time frame . This will be followed by a mile and half run again with a time limit dependant on your age. When the TA resumes normal training there will also be a combat fitness test which is a squad march/walk over a distance of six miles to be done in 1.5 hours with 15kg + pw ( the 2nd PFT will be then dropped).

4. if you run every other day then you have plenty of time for the 1.5 mile run, if you you cant do the distance in under 14 minutes within 1 month then think about putting your selection back by a month

since your ex-reg. you'll know you'll be running longer distances than 1.5 during your basic training

also use the arrse search as there's loads of good advice in here already but if you've got a PTI on hand then go to them, as the tee shirt says...

..Arrse, it's only a rumour

5. Just the usual, keep eye contact, sit up straight, speak correctly yes in stead of yeah, and most important be yourself. If you don't know the answer just say so, don't make something up.

You don't need to be flash or anything, politeness and the odd yes ma'am/sir thrown in will do :D

Through i'm guessing an old pro like you would already know this? :wink:

Don't worry, you will do fine. Good luck. :D

6. Depends on your age I guess, but two months is plenty of time. It's 14 minutes after all, not 10:30! :) There's no interview on selection, (At least, not on the one I did) you just do an "icebreaker" session where you stand in front of your group for 5 minutes and introduce yourself.

7. They're not expecting you to do the full MATT2 on selection!

8. I am hoping to do my selection weekend in the next month or so and am not too concerned about the run but am intrigued as to what is expected in the 'Icebreaker' and also what degree of upper-body strength is needed?

Any pointers would be gratefully received. :?:

9. You just have to tell them your:-

Name
    Family
    What preparation you've done
    What Capbadge you want to join
    Why you want to join
    What you hope to achieve
    You proundest moment

You will be marked on you fluency, confidence and if you answer every question. There is usually about 20 people in the room. Good luck! :D

10. When I did it, you couldn't fail based on upper body strength, but they do give you some tests I think to give them an idea what sort of people they're getting in the door: Chin-ups, some sort of weird thing where you push backwards by arching your back as hard as you can, another one pulling on a bar attached to the floor, lifting weights on a machine from floor height up to about 1.5m (The height of the back of a Bedford truck, apparently) and carrying some (Heavy!) water containers a set distance.

11. Cheers guys, I'm not looking forward to the 'Icebreaker' but think I should be able to manage something.

Glad to see that you can't fail on upper body strength (and hope that is still the case) as I have never done anything like weights, push or press ups until recently as have only played football and never really needed to.

12. Noodlenoggin! I do apologise bud.... TA eh! That explains the 20 years since you left the regs bit. I really should pay attention to where i'm posting. I'm sure u'll have no problems.... best of luck mate.

DG

13. I'm going for the RLC. I'm now setting my stopwatch to see how long it is before the first "it's the same thing, mate!" comment arrives.....