Fitness Targets

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Switchback, Dec 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. question answered many thanks
  2. I take it you are going sandhurst soon? I would recommend getting your 6 milers down to as close to 40 mins as possible, try to get some longer runs in maybe once a week - say 9 or 10 miler, to get serious leg strength. The trick is not to be as fit as possible, the trick is to be fit but also not worn out - so your body can keep on improving, instead of reaching a peak.
  3. 6 miles in 40 minutes? Is that from personal experience? Atm I can do it in around 50-55 min and I thought that was good.

4. Try to improve your 1.5 mile time to 9mins this is a reasonably good time, depending on age, for 10K around 42mins should be OKay(on roads)

To improve times join a running club, do sprints/intervals also do hill work , cross country, try longer runs for endurance or hill walking.

Don't forget to do some weights, or upper body work.
  5. I remember I was training for the all arms commando a few years back, and got my 6 miler down to about 37 mins, I still wasn't the fittest when I got there mind. The game is endurance rather than fitness in my eyes, with all army courses.
  6. Gentlemen,

Admittedly it is a few years since I passed through the hallowed gates of Sandhurst, however I offer the following advice:

Most importantly avoid injury, you will struggle to get through the course if you arrive with an injury; simple as.

Secondly, you should arrive being able to pass the PFT. This is about 50 press ups and about the same number of sit ups each in two minute periods, followed by a 800m warm up in about 5 mins and a 1.5 mile best effort run to be done in 10 mins 30 seconds or less. I would suggest that most Sandhurst entrants should be aiming for a run time of between 9 and 10 minutes and be able to comfortably do the required number of press ups and sit ups. (No doubt some keen bean will pipe up with the exact PFT requirements as per the book, but what I have stated above will be enough to get on with).

I would suggest that if you can hit the targets above without injury you are fit to start the course. Better to arrive at the basic standard than turn up amazingly fit but carrying an injury.

Do not train with weight (i.e. running or tabbing with weight on your back) before you arrive as you increase your risk of injury.

The PT at Sandhurst is progressive, most will find it challenging regardless of how fit they are when they arrive.

I'd also recommend a fitness book called "Fighting Fit", slightly naff looking cover, but good military fitness advice and realistic programmes (although I would recommend staying clear of the pre-P Coy, Cdo Cse and SF selection programmes which the book also contains, as these involve quite a lot of weight carriage training. You'll be taught how to train with weight without injuring yourself when you get to Sandhurst.